PDA

View Full Version : How do I migrate to my new computer

allent
04-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Hello,

I have just received my new 7505 computer with dual 2.4's and am VERY anxious to do the move. My question is, how do I migrate my current projects without losing the information contained within each project, such as pointers to the various clips etc...

Signed,

Anxious Allen in Oregon

:cool:

mgrusin
04-16-2003, 01:51 PM
If you want all your old projects to work, the thing to keep the same is the paths and drive letters; e.g. if your old computer had your clips in V:\projects\citibank\clips and your DVEs in C:\VideoToaster\DVEs, then you'll want to make sure your new machine has the same directory structure and drive letters. ToasterEdit Project files themselves don't care where they are; they just care where every asset (including DVEs and effects) included in the project lives (fixing it if they've moved is a PITA, so be sure to get this right).

The easiest thing to do would be to move your video array straight over to the new machine, and give it the same drive letter as on the old machine (assuming that the RAID hardware is compatible or identical; if not, you'll probably need to create a new array and copy the old information over, making sure the directory structure stays the same).

You'll probably want to create a new system drive with the right drivers and software for the new motherboard, but make sure that the Toaster Software, especially DVEs, are installed the same place(s) as your old system. (Don't forget to move your old project files over if they're on the C: drive as well). Networking the two machines together, even temporarily, is an easy way to move lots of files.

If you're inexperienced with this, I suggest getting a local dealer to help. It's not hard, but the potential for disaster is there. :eek:

Good luck! -MG

allent
04-16-2003, 02:16 PM
I thought that may be the answer, I just wanted to check before going all out on the transfer. Thanks for the help.

Allen

mgrusin
04-17-2003, 12:12 PM
You bet, give us a review of your new hardware once it's up and running! :D

-MG