PDA

View Full Version : less than 400 points per layer modeling challenge

cresshead
02-03-2005, 05:47 AM
here's my toon head...the head comes in at 400 point exactly..been a bit sloppy actually!...[could have made it much less points.

i'm doing this to see just what can be done with the DE version of lightwave where you can only save layers witht 400 points or less..it's good to have a challenge eh?

see what you can do with a 400 point max per layer...oh the eyes and hair are on another layer BTW.

ArtGoblin
02-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Not Bad.... not bad at all !!

It would be fun to see what other users can produce within the 400point limit.

But wasn't there some limits in modeller DiscoveryVersion other than just the point limits, I really can't remember and I'm to lazy to check it out my self ;)

cresshead
02-03-2005, 07:44 AM
thanks!

my motivation for the 400 point limit is that i have 3 new students learning 3d on my saturday class at college and i'm using lightwave to teach them 3d where they have yet to buy a 3d app, so they are using lightwave de at home and in class which means i need to restrict my lessons to models of 400 points or less per layer.

i'm making a body later on as well...400 points again!...then a full scene...with transport and bg objects/buildings etc.

etobiason
02-03-2005, 08:51 PM
You can have more than 400 points per layer for DE, you just can't have more than 400 points per layer when you save. Meaning... you can chop up the object to different layers, save, then when you work on it again merge the complex parts together and work some more until you have to chop it and save again...

cresshead
02-04-2005, 05:48 AM
ahh v true..though some of the multiply operations do not work on layers that have 400+ points...in the end i'm aiming to save the model so the limit of 400 points per layer needs to be kept so that a tutorial can be followed and the student can save his/her work to disc and complete it at a later date if needed.

i'm quite amazed at just what you CAN do with this limit though...it's a great way o introduce lightwave to new users and also gives them "boundrys" to work within as with 3ds max new users that ususally make huge poly scenes as the do not need to pay attention to any resrictions..so the first scenes are simplistic to look at but take an age to render out...we then have to pull them back and get them to really think about how they are making there models....this is still true for some of my current students who are max users for about 2 yrs...their models are still way too heavy the seem to think that more polys is going to give them a better model somehow...but in reality it just makes lighting/rendering adjustments take longer and character more difficult to rig and animate...one of my students like to locally refine his models with a local meshsmooth which actually creates new polys...rather than use the meshsmooth modifier...i can undestand why possibly as when you add a modifier such as meshsmooth and you work on the lo poly version lower in the stack you have the lo poly cage to work with floating outside the subdivided model...it looks messy...so local refinment looks easier to work with in the viewport...though makes for a heavy model.

WilliamVaughan
02-09-2005, 09:09 PM
inspired challenge :)

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5023