PDA

View Full Version : Animate pivot

lumi
02-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Is there a workaround to setting keys to the pivot point ?
I want to change the position of the pivot point on an animated object, without messing up everything that was done before.
Thanks for answers

Rory_L
02-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Instead of doing that, how about using a dynamic parenter, like RB_Dynamic parenting, with two parent nulls at the two places you want to rotate around?

R

lumi
02-03-2005, 02:47 AM
I had allready thought of it, but with the simple parenter it doesn't work, cause the initial pivot jumps from one point to the other when changing parents and if I check "Keep initial pos.", it jumps to the origin !
As to "RB parenter" I can't get it to work, cause I can't find the master plugin needed to select parents

evenflcw
02-03-2005, 05:52 AM
EDIT: Nevermind this post. I had a rough night. Sorry.

lumi
02-03-2005, 07:20 AM
? .

etobiason
02-06-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm not any help, just typing in so I can get updates on this thread as I want info on how to animate a pivot point as well. I can't figure out a way to do it. Like in the movie Hellboy, when Abe Sapien loses the reliquary he had on his wrist, and it sinks, spinning... it's a tube with a bone in it and as it spins the bone shifts causing the center of gravity (pivot point) to move with it...

hrgiger
02-06-2006, 02:30 AM
I've always wanted the ability to animate the pivot point of an object. I've made this feature request in the past, maybe more people should voice it.

pooby
02-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Parenter will work, but it's not blendable..

One thing to note about parenter is that, once 'parented' you cannot animate the actual item.. I know this sounds rubbish (which to some extent, it is) but it is very easy to work around, by parenting the item to a null and animating that instead.

It takes a bit of experimentation to fully understand what's going on with this modifier - for ages I just thought it was broken.. It does work. It's clunky and awkward but you can get it going fine.

However, just to end on a bad note.. It doesn't always update in Fprime's renderer, so is best left to LW's own..

EDIT.... Note to Newtek----

We really need a better dynamic parenting solution than this

Rory_L
02-06-2006, 04:06 AM
As to "RB parenter" I can't get it to work, cause I can't find the master plugin needed to select parents
Don`t know if you`re still reading this thread, Lumi, but here`s a demo scene, using RB Dynamic parenter. You don`t need any master plugins, you just envelope between the parents.

Cheers,

R