PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center 2005 OS

tjacobs
02-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Has anyone tried using LW on this OS? I want to get a new 'main' computer for LW and was wondering if anyone had a problem with this OS.

Thanks

Para
02-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Media Center 2005 is meant for computers that act as "media centers" (hence the name), not as 3D editing platform. Why you're even considering MC2k5?

ArtGoblin
02-02-2005, 04:45 AM
I'm using MediaCenter 2005.... I've had no problems so far.

Yess MediaCenter PC's are set up so they'll work perfectly for distributing, and using Media..... but it's not like it's lacking majorly in other areas. Is it?

I mean.... does it really need to bee such a hard decision. I thought it was mostly about the Hardware.

But hey! I'm not a computer genius, I could be wrong (I'm probably wrong).

Para
02-02-2005, 07:04 AM
I'm using MediaCenter 2005.... I've had no problems so far.

Yess MediaCenter PC's are set up so they'll work perfectly for distributing, and using Media..... but it's not like it's lacking majorly in other areas. Is it?

By all means no but for me it has the same feel as drilling a hole in to an apple with a screwdriver. Of course since you said it works, I can say that it's ok to use it since f it works then who cares if you're using a toaster to dry your socks? :)

koots
02-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Para, very nice response... Made me laugh... To the others, I would recomend useing LW on a separate computer. You can pick up a pretty decent computer for not very much... much less than LW itself...

I vote go buy a HP or a Dell, or do like me and build your own. LW would probably run better on Xp rather than mediacenter

Lightwolf
02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
XP Media Center is basically a stripped down version of XP Pro (yes, with SMP support), but only contains the more basic networking of XP Home.

Actually, quite a decent buy if you want the extra software.

Cheers,
Mike

tjacobs
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the help. Judging from LightWolf comments, I will stick with XP Pro.

Fausto
02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
XP Media Center is basically a stripped down version of XP Pro (yes, with SMP support), but only contains the more basic networking of XP Home.

Actually, quite a decent buy if you want the extra software.

Point of fact, XP home edition has no networking capability, in fact that's the distinction between XP pro and home. The Windows Media Edition is a full on XP Pro OS with some pretty sophisticated tools directly tied to certain hardware for uh, entertainment purposes. Yes there's a limit on its networking capabilities, more like a difference in how it connects. It is after all specifically designed for entertainment. The limitation is this, it can access resources on any home or work network, but it cannot join a domain. So it doesn't cache any domain credentials or login information, and you cannot automatically access any network shares. You'll have to login each and every time you go digging on another computer for something. If it's a standalone computer and you'd like MCOS capabilities, LW will function the same on either XP home, Media Center sans network rendering of course, and XP Pro with network rendering available. If you use your computer for other things, including entertainment, and you don't have more than one system, I wouldn't shy away from buying this operating system. It does however have some specific hardware requirements.

Here's a good place to start (FAQ (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx))

Cheers,

robewil
02-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Point of fact, XP home edition has no networking capabilityDefinitely not true, I have it networking with my other PCs just fine. One thing it can't do is be a member of a domain which means you have to manually log in to your network drives.

cresshead
02-02-2005, 03:08 PM
xp home doesn't support multiple cpu's....though it does support hyperthreading on a new p4 chip...that's the biggest diff........other than that it's quite capable for lightwave, xsi and 3ds max.

Lightwolf
02-02-2005, 03:13 PM
xp home doesn't support multiple cpu's....
The Media Centre Edition does though. The only downsized bit from Pro are the networking, as was mentioned before, and the lack of some administrator tools. I think that the backup tool is missing too, or has been replaced by the equivalent tool from XP Home.

Cheers,
Mike

tjacobs
02-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Again thanks for the info. I guess it boils down to how you are going to use it. Personally I plan on switch LW over to the new computer and then use the existing dual zeon 2.4 workstation as a networking rendering node.