PDA

View Full Version : Nature/Chelonian

Dick Ma
02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
This is my first time to use Zbrush to enhance my modeling workflow with LW. Except the backdrop image, All the botanicals are modeled directly in LW. The tortoise is a simple geometry model made in LW and produce displacement maps in Zbrush. Scene setup is made in LW layout and do split scene rendering using F-Prime plugin, as huge number of polygons are used. Comments are welcome and please enjoy.

adrian
02-02-2005, 12:51 AM
That's a really nice scene.... you should submit that to the gallery.

Adrian.

Dick Ma
02-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Wireframe (pass 1)

Cassanovastein
02-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Fantastic attention to detail - especially in the slight dof on the multi-colored foilage and on the surfacing of the turtle's shell. Excellent work.
The position of the back feet seems strange. As if the back feet don't exist or don't hold the turtle up in a natural way.
Superb texture and lighting work - how much of that is just the plug-in?

shaol
02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
I heard of zbrush from my friend in C.A. whose an animator at Disney and he said it a realy powerful software. how long you been using zbrush and can u post the maps from that zbrush. :D

Dick Ma
02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Fantastic attention to detail - especially in the slight dof on the multi-colored foilage and on the surfacing of the turtle's shell. Excellent work.
The position of the back feet seems strange. As if the back feet don't exist or don't hold the turtle up in a natural way.
Superb texture and lighting work - how much of that is just the plug-in?

As is the back feet position, I place a simple plant to slighty hidden the back feet... I don't know if I just omit it can achieve a natural look...

And because I use fprime as my renderer so additional third party rendering plugins cannot be used..all the transluency is done in LW with simple settings. But for the texture of the tortoise, I apply the SG_Ambient Occlusion Plugin and baker it into the surface baker.

Light setup is only one area light as the main light source, with two directional light for support lighting.

Abou z-brush using I think I spend less than one month to just deal with the displacement, as the functions of Zbrush I am not very get used to it. And due to the Lightwave OBJ exporter doesn't output UV maps is a bit inconvenient. The workflow is about after you finished modelling, bring to Zbrush for displacement first, then after finish it in Zbrush, import the modified obj back to Lightwave, and do proper UV mapping process. Last baker the the map that generated from Zbrush to the proper mapping of UV maps created in LW using surface baker.