PDA

View Full Version : 8.2 and not so old plugins

LAV
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi! I've found 8.2 doesn't accept same old shaders plugins. For example BRDF shader doesn't work. It actually works in Layout... but switching to modeler the system is not able to 'get BRDF data' and crashes. Symbiont shaders acts in a similar way, crashing modeler (even 8.0) sometimes.
I have read that LW core was renewed and improved (some new topics I have tested are really interesting). Do you know where I can find renewed plugins?

Many thanks

www.dartrender.too.it

brap
02-01-2005, 03:05 PM
I can't verify your specific examples, but in general I feel that perhaps Newtek should go back and make an 8.0.2 which incorporates the bug fixes in 8.2, but without introducing a lot of the new problems that we're seeing in 8.2 as a result of significant code changes. This way, 8.02, or it's successors if necessary, could act as a stable 'legacy' Lightwave, which works well with all the old plugins and shaders.
They did it for 7.5, so why not for 8.0?

best regards,

maxxwv
02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I know nothing about Symbiont (and very little about BRDF, for that matter), but as I understand it, the BRDF shader bases its' render effects on lights and incidence angles. That's why you choose which lights BRDF should pay attention to when applying the shader. There are no lights in Modeler, hence the plug can't get the data it needs to complete the requested calculations. While I agree it would be nice to find a more graceful error handling routine than crashing in this instance, sometimes it's fun to not worry about it.

Otherwise, I personally have found no issues with 8.2 instability. It's working better than any version since 5.6 for me so far. I've heard there are some issues with some commercial plugs, but I've not read any results that are replicable consistently except one issue with FPrime, which Worley said was a request he had the team add for the next version of FP. Not to be rude, but are there really that many issues with it? 'Cause if there are, I'm charmed on this system!

LAV
02-02-2005, 02:34 AM
I have found LW8.2 really improved. It's a pleasure.

I ask if you could tell me if and where can I find old plugins renewed.

BRDF never asks light information to 7.x modeler. When you alter BRDF data in Layout 7.x and save objects by Modeler, you have the new setting freezed in the saved object.

Have a nice day!

LW is a zen way to discuss about