PDA

View Full Version : FBX Plugin

trentonia
02-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Does anyone have experience using this plugin? I'm trying to import or merge fbx files exported from Maya. I keep getting a message that import failed because there are no "takes" available. What is a take? Is this a failure on the Maya export end? How do you work this stuff? Thanks for any help.
Trentonia :confused:

nemac4
02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
A take is referring to the animation created in motion builder. If you need to move animation from Maya to Lightwave,.. you might want to look at Point Oven.

http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm

trentonia
02-02-2005, 01:13 PM
What I really need is to move models from 3DS Max and Maya to Lightwave, and I thought that could be done using fbx files.

lunarcamel
02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Make sure you have the latest version of the plugin.

I use it constantly and it works great between all apps. One thing I did notice with LW is I had to turn off the VB file requester under General Options/ File Dialog - just set it to default . This was the cause of a similar issue with FBX on my system.

UnCommonGrafx
02-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Wha...?

You mean... they finally got it such that it's actually a translator tool, now? Kudos to them, if so. It'll make getting six a no-brainer. ;) MotionBuilder, that is. It still rocks.

kfinla
02-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Ill have to look into it again, after writing off the FBX plugins a few years ago I hapenned to DL the latest version a week ago. I did a simple test with a cube and got the "no takes" problem. Ill have to look into the "default' setting.

lunarcamel
02-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah - for my particular case it gave me that error then crashed LW. ;)

kfinla
02-03-2005, 07:41 AM
the docs seem kinda lacking.. after the error i looked for a step by step instruction on using them, but i dont recall anything other than installaton instructions

kfinla
02-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Well.. my file dialog was already set to default.. and i switched t VB.. same result.. not crashing.. but no takes are available to be selected... sad thing is was able to re-import the fbx file back into maya no problem.. i had 2 choices.. - no animation, and take 001... :confused:

cresshead
02-03-2005, 08:16 AM
if you just need to move models why not export from max or maya as obj files?
or even dot xsi files?...

fbx is somewhat flaky and the documentation doesn't really hold ya hand thru the whole deal..shame really...it works okay from lw to max inc animations last time i looked at it for lw7.5 and max 4.0

as with most software it's not just the specs but the documentaion of trainig videos that come with it...no docs/poor docs and your left scatching your head! :rolleyes:

lunarcamel
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
kfinla: Post your file and I will take a look at it.

Fausto
02-03-2005, 03:25 PM
By the way, if anyone is interested in purchasing MB6 I'm looking to sell it. IM me or email me and we can negotiate a price.

DoF
05-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Okay, I did a search, and could find nothing on these fora about the amazing .fbx plugin for Quicktime.

I only discovered this marvellous little gem by accident. basically, it allows you to look at, and interact with any and I mean any 3d content saved in .fbx format. This can mean anything from complete scenes, including cameras, lights, textures, geometry, animation, or just a short mocap file. Apart from the fun of this, I think this little plug will mean a total rethink of workflow patterns, especially with regard to sending clients work-in-progress reports when the client does not have the time to view the work from inside a 3d app. Oh, and notwithstanding the Quicktime element, did I mention you can interchange complete 3d files between apps in the .fbx format?