PDA

View Full Version : Motion Mixer Problem?

nicker
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
I am using Motion Mixer for the first time. I put together a bunch of Motion segments in Motion Mixer last night and everything was working fine so I saved what I was working on. When I loaded the scene in Lightwave today and went back to Motion Mixer all the motion segments were still there but when I scrolled through the timeline in Motion Mixer with Actor Active it was as if I did not have any Motions in Motion Mixer, all the work I had done seemed as if it had not been retained. Do I have to Bake Range to actually be able to save the Motion I made or is this a weird glitch? Any Help much appreciated.

Nick

donski
05-24-2005, 08:03 PM
January 2 or February 2?

You didn't get an overwhelming response to your question. Did you fix it yourself?

I'm currently in the same problem and have come to the LW Forum for the first time in a while.

I'm not so new to Motion Mixer, I have had it work just fine in the past. I can currently to get those old files to work just fine. I have made a new camera with Motion Mixer fine.

However, the boned character that has worked in the past suddenly does not react to the saved motions. If I "edit motion" the key frames are thrown into the Layout timeline, so I know that the motion was saved but, just as you described it, Actor Active, timeline full of motions in Motion Mixer but no motion. Any clues?

tapsnap
05-28-2005, 07:35 PM
check to see if your actor is active there should be a check mark in the box, if not your actor will not do anything as you scrub through the time line.

donski
05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. There isn't much buzz about Motion Mixer. I guess people are happy with it or they don't use it. Thought I would give you a follow up in case you were curious or if someone else is in Motion Mixer **** and does a keyword search.

Xchannels. I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that they were somehow getting in the way. Maybe I did something accidently with them (hit scan or add xchan) but it seemed that all the MM was grabbing the Xchannel info and going no further. I redefined my character, did not include Xchannels and it acts more normally.

HOWEVER, I lay out a slew of motions, hopscotch between them with transitions, all is good. The next day the transitions "melt together". It's wierd. Transitions that were 30 frames long are now 200 frames long and stretch over many motions. Currently, I just go through kill these wierd tumors and recreate the transition that should have been there. No answers, just information.

PeteS
08-23-2005, 10:24 PM
i have the same problem!!!! still no answers...

Castius
08-23-2005, 10:33 PM
It's a bug. You can't save while editing a motion. It saves the scene with the clip setting wrong.

But all it not lost you can edit the scene file and reload and it will all return to normal. I dont' know the line you need to edit atm. I'll try to find it later and post it.

PeteS
08-23-2005, 10:39 PM
ALRIGHT...don't quote me on this, but it seems to be working.

i re-named all my hand bones to something unique. Like left pinky base, left pinky middle..etc.

before, i had it all with pinky and a number after it. when i clicked on the bone, it would have the number in parenthesis like this: pinky (3)

give it a shot...

much like a grandmother who can lift a volkswagon, it's amazing what you can figure out when your deadline depends on it ;-)

Newtek...please help with these bugs!

I love lightwave...sometimes it don't love me

PeteS
08-23-2005, 10:42 PM
it's official...this worked for me!!! good luck fellas.. i hope this helped!

NigelH
08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Maintaining logical naming conventions is applicable for bones in general (and everything else), not just within Motion Mixer. Whenever possible, it's better to give bones unique (descriptive) names rather than just bone (1), bone (2), etc. Because those names are temporary and subject to change by Layout as you edit the scene. Even if you manually rename them 'bone01', 'bone02', it's marginally better because this creates a unique 'string' (in programming jargon) that separates those particular bones from any other item in the scene - as long as you don't go ahead and name any other bones 'bone01', 'bone02', etc.

Bottom line is, don't be lazy. Don't skip steps. Keep your scene organized and you'll avoid all manner of headaches on down the line.

PeteS
08-24-2005, 08:50 AM
i agree...though i was following a larry schultz rigging tutorial and thats how he went through the naming. though i must say, it's an excellent rig set up...minus the glitch ;)