PDA

View Full Version : bad training videos...yukČ!

cresshead
01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
hi
just to share my frustration...i bought some training videos for another 3d app i got a while back [xxx] from a 3rd party training website and whilst the actual training covered on the videos is okay, the nightmare i've gone thru to just get them to play is really irritating!

as a way to keep control of his assets the owner has made them node based whereby you need to get a hardware fingerprint of your pc...send this off then you can an activation code so you can run the videos...a bit irritating...but that didn't get my videos to work!....i then emailed him and found out that i have to uninstall any audio recording application on my pc such as my cubasis and also uninstall any screen recording app such as hypercam or camstasia [which i use for creating training myself]...brilliant...so if i weant to watch a video i have to uninstall my apps!....and if i put the apps back on ?...

Hmmm...videos [.exe's] will not work...i need to delete them [.exe's] then uninstall my apps again...get a new finger print...send off....wait...get new code and then i can run them again........excellent!...NOT! :eek:

all this chap has really done is to make my mind up that i'll never get anymore training from his website...i can see where he's coming from in trying not to make it easy to copy his training...but really he's just lost me as a future customer..

and btw i have decided to tape the videos from my video output onto a camcorder and burn a dvd so i can watch them when i want and NOT have to uninstall apps to watch a video...so in the end all of his amazing "tech"...really didn't do anyting apart from put me off his training cdroms..... :rolleyes:

lede
01-31-2005, 05:11 PM
There is even other kinds of harware stuff that turns computer video into composite video without any software so in the end this isn't preventing anything. Thats why most of my tips and tricks are free. Sorry to hear that you had that much trouble too bad because he'll lose more busniess from that kind of practice :(

-Lee

Gui Lo
01-31-2005, 06:18 PM
I had a client that very heavily stressed the fact that he did not want any images on the webpage to be copiable. That is possible with javascript and he was very enthusiastic I used these until I snapped a digital photo of the screen and had it in photoshop in less than a minute.

All these fail safes are really a waste of time. We should all consider any computerized(digital) information as open to abuse and then concentrate on giving a good experience to those who will make proper use of it.

Gui Lo

private
01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Please be more specific about which training so the rest of us can avoid this.

Jeff_G
01-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Maybe you don't understand that those measures are necessary to prevent piracy of the training videos. You certainly should not buy them if you feel it is a hassle. I have purchased quite a few training videos that require the hardware finger print, and removal of some software. It doesn't bother me because the training is excellent.

Complaining about someone elses videos for another application on a Newtek forum isn't going to help you.

Rok4406
01-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Ya Lede,I was interesred in the Setting up backdrops tutorial on your site but link seems to be broken,could you fix,thanks.

Karmacop
01-31-2005, 09:10 PM
There's always ways around this type of copy protection, so in the end "protecting" your work like this only harms the people that actually paid for the product.

There's no way I'd take software off to watch training videos, I don't visit websites that stop me from right clicking. It's just stupidity. Please tell us where you got these training videos from so we don't waste our money.

Para
02-01-2005, 01:00 AM
There's always ways around this type of copy protection, so in the end "protecting" your work like this only harms the people that actually paid for the product.

This is so very true. I literally screamed of joy about a week ago when I bought myself a new gfx card and got couple of games bundled with it: I started installing Commandos 3 and noticed that it was "Syndication" version of it and thus it didn't have any kind of copy protection meaning no cd checks and no cd key.

The "problem" with cracking is that whether you like it or not, it's always ahead by 3-6 months at least. This is because cracks are done in an instant, the actual programs and such take time to develop and have to be locked into a certain point in time technologically-wise in order to create a finished product in a reasonable timespan. If the creator(s) of the software try to go ahead of crackers it will cause problems just like those training videos caused to cresshead.

Once again we have to repeat the mantra "If it's made by human, it can be broken by human." since that's the pure fact. As a customer I'd rather pay extra for no copy protection than waste extra time and money to figure out how I'm going to add yet another dongle to the back of my computer or keep the CD in drive while using the program or just type in a cd key to get it installed.

EDIT: I think I know which training videos you're talking about but I'm not going to say it since I'm not 100% sure.

MrWyatt
02-01-2005, 02:16 AM
how about a dual boot setup where one boot has none of the "evil programs" and the other one has. still not perfect but you don┤t have to uninstall your programs.

Klowno
02-01-2005, 03:42 AM
hi
just to share my frustration...i bought some training videos for another 3d app i got a while back [xxx] from a 3rd party training website and whilst the actual training covered on the videos is okay, the nightmare i've gone thru to just get them to play is really irritating!

as a way to keep control of his assets the owner has made them node based whereby you need to get a hardware fingerprint of your pc...

Have you posted this complaint at some xsi forum? Perhaps xsibase would be
better since it's more likely the person responsible for the videos would see it then.
Then maybe some constructive discussion could come out of it?

Just felt strange seeing this posted here at newteks forums :rolleyes:

paulrus
02-01-2005, 06:52 AM
I'm pretty sure I know what training you're talking about and I agree - the post you made belongs on XSIBase, not here.

Plus, just FYI - the guy who produces those videos has had so much of his work pirated and has had so much trouble with people using stolen credit cards that he's decided to close up shop - which really sucks, because where else can you find 14 hours of XSI training for $50?

Paul

T-Light
02-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Just felt strange seeing this posted here at newteks forums

Why?

Copy protection affects all of us on an ever increasing basis, what's more, things are probably set to get much worse.

Here's just three headaches I've had recently...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WMA: Anyone still purchasing music WMA's? I made this mistake only to find my machine want's too periodically check that the music I paid for is legal??? When I transferred the files to my laptop the music wouldn't play at all "not registered to this user", (not what it said "On the Tin"). WMA might have better compression but I'll only buy mp3's from now on, the alternative is just too much hastle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMPGENC 3: A really fantastic bit of kit. The downside is it requires an intermittent periodical online re-activation, THIS IS A REAL PAIN, especially if it's used on a laptop. I actually bought this software to use on the move, If you can't connect when required - it's unusable.

Half Life 2:

The Piece de resistance, This one ranks alongside Steve's hassle with the training videos... Fantastic game, HORRIBLE copy protection in the name of "Steam".

Essentially to play the game you need to...

1) Install the 4.7GB of game data from the DVD.
2) Set up an online account with the developers.
3) Set up another online account for steam.
4) Download approx 30 Meg of data.
5) Wait for the steam data to decompile and reset the 4.7GB of game data you've already installed.
6) Plus, and this is a big PLUS... If the game crashes on you and becomes unplayable, you need to start again from scratch so DON'T loose those registration details or you'll have to purchase the game again (I mean it, they won't compromise).
Even if you do have all your details stored safely, in the words of one vocal gamer from a forum I visited...

"Now I have to be Steam's b*tch again for another hour".
He wasn't wrong :rolleyes:

It really annoys me that it's those of us who suffer all the trials, tribulations and time wasting of "over" protection are the very people paying to keep these companies in business.

Those who don't pay and download illegally really are getting a hassle free "FREE RIDE". Surely to goodness this ought to be the other way round?

Para
02-01-2005, 10:57 AM
This goes a bit off-topic but anyway:

6) Plus, and this is a big PLUS... If the game crashes on you and becomes unplayable, you need to start again from scratch so DON'T loose those registration details or you'll have to purchase the game again (I mean it, they won't compromise).

Don't lose your logins :) Anyway, you don't have to download it anymore from scratch. I can't remember if it was directly in Steam or was some external tool needed for it but it ain't from scratch anymore.

Kvaalen
02-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I had a client that very heavily stressed the fact that he did not want any images on the webpage to be copiable. That is possible with javascript No it isn't. I understand your point though and it is valid, but I just had to say it. :)
You can make it harder with Javascript but you can't disable it completly. :)

cresshead
02-01-2005, 11:21 AM
the reason i posted here was to hi light a possible "new trend" in keying training videos..i fully understand just why he went this route and though i'm not mega happy about the hassle i needed to go thru to get them up n running he was quite helpful and i now can view them on my win98 partition of my dual boot dell system where xsi is on the win2000 partition now along with camstasia and lw8.2...ive started to look into transfering them to dv tape so a can watch them when i like...which i'll do over the next few weeks...

the main thing is that it just doesn't work...i can still get it copied to a more user friendly medium such as vhs or dvd and i feel it's very relevent seeing the amount of training video's out for lightwave, maya, max and xsi has grown so much over the last 2 yrs compared to when we mainly just had books to buy...

and i am aware how much distress he's been thru with credit card fraud etc..so i'm not here to knock him down...i was a bit rapped off yesterday having to watch the video's in one boot then have to boot down and re boot to try out what i've just watched...just seemed silly and wastful timewise

i'd actually prefer to have them on dvd with a proper menu etc like what desktop images do...feels more professional plus you can relax in front of a widescreen t.v with a cuppa!

if the fingerprint/nodelock is a sign of what's to come then books will re emerge as the training to get rather than cdrom based just down to the hassle it "may" put you through

bottom line?

i'm not here to complain and get something done about it...i'm letting people know there's some stuff out there which now i 'm fully aware of how it works i'll steer clear of just down to the way i feel about "installing" a video....an app is different in my perception and so i'm fine with getting a dongle or a software key..yet this is the first time ever that installing something required me to uninstall other software so i could run it...which i feel is a step too far to ask users if they want to use your software...if newtek demanded that 3dsmax and xsi needed to be uninstalled to run lightwave...there'd be a riot!...and some people rushing down to dell/pc world getting spare pc's to run there new app as well!.... :D

as a final note i MUST add that the contents of the training are really good. and for 95% of users..:- you'll have no problems ever with it...but those who have either audio recording software or a screen recorder like camstasia, hypercam etc will be in for a few hoops to jump thru and some uninstalling to do...just hope you have a dual bot or a spare pc that can display 1280 x 1024 for the video..
it is good value...i just have issues with the "delivery mechanics" ;)