PDA

View Full Version : Animating textures in an animation?

Salem78
01-31-2005, 06:31 AM
I don't think this is possible but is it possible to make an animation of difference textures on same surface in an animation in Layout?
Example If I have made an animation where the camera goes around a TV and I want the TV to show some difference textures.

Capt Lightwave
01-31-2005, 07:14 AM
You mean like an image sequence?

Salem78
01-31-2005, 07:41 AM
An image sequence, yes.

kfinla
01-31-2005, 07:59 AM
just load your sequence through the image loader as an 'animation' pick the frame range, fps etc. apply the sequene to the surface. I think you'll even be able to see it with textures on in openGL

kfinla
01-31-2005, 08:00 AM
i think .mov and .avi's are recognized too

Salem78
01-31-2005, 09:32 AM
This "image loader", you mean in Image Editor? But I cant open gif-animations, mov or avi-files.

kfinla
01-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Yes the Image editor, sorry, i float between a few apps so often can see the steps but not think of the exact term.

I just did a quick test.. with an avi on a character model taht comes with LW and wasnt a problem, i had the tutorial movie playing across his chest and pants in the opengl preview. it said the movie was 0-2060 frames.. etc

Im not sure if a gif-sequnce would work, i dont recall if there supported, images AAAA.####.tga? jpg should work too.

my only suggestion is to have a recent copy of quicktime installed. Im on a mac also so since avi often is sketchy or has to be converted im not sure why your havin a probelm.. im on LW 8.01 also. i know there are .tiff issues in 8.2

JCG
01-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Im not sure if a gif-sequnce would work LW doesn't take gif, even for single images.

About the avi files, I've had problems loading avis with sound, but when I remove the sound tracks and leave only the images, LW takes it in happily, even if I save it with the exact same codec and settings. Might be worth trying.

Orimar
01-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Salem78:

To select an .avi, .mov or a sequence in the "Image Editor" click the "Load" button to bring up the "Load Images" dialog. Go to the bottom and click on "File of type." In the drop down menu select "All Files." Now you can see and select any .avi or .mov file that are in the directory that cantains them.

If you've selected an .avi or .mov file the "Image Type" under the "Source" tab should be set to "Animation" automatically

When loading a sequence, simply select any image of that sequence and change the "Image Type" from "Still" to "Sequence ."

Good luck,

.O.

Salem78
01-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Orimar:
Thanks, I tried again and now it works, I tried another mov-file and it worked.

But now another question:
The image sequnces works in Layout, but it doesn't work as exported Shockwave3D-format? Anyone know why? Is it possible to solve it?

philthorn
01-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Orimar:
The image sequnces works in Layout, but it doesn't work as exported Shockwave3D-format? Anyone know why? Is it possible to solve it?

Shockwave doesn't directly support animated textures. If you are putting it together in Director you can import your animated texture as an image sequence (I use PNGs) and use Lingo to cycle through them in the texture channel.

-Phil

Salem78
02-01-2005, 12:22 AM
philthorn:
Yes I'm putting it in Director, will try Lingo.
Thanks!