PDA

View Full Version : My Movie Trailer - 90+ sec of animation!!!!

Dave3D
04-16-2003, 04:01 AM
Hi

I am 17 year old, from England. i have need workin with lightwave just over a year now. I am taking AS Media Studies, one of the pieces of corsework is to create a film trailer. Most of the class went and got out the home video camera and when and made a bit dodgy trailer. but i went and made mine totaly in lightwave :)

It pritty much finshed but i might add some more but i have been very pushed for time cos i only had 4 weeks to do the thing. With the time aspect being very short and having two other subjects corsework to do also i had to, borrow 2 heads from poser(i didnt like doing it thou :( ), and thanks to Erik Brimstedt for not minding that i used the hall i made from his tutorial.

Heres the download links,(I dont have any really fast hosting so i have hosted it in to places) if use a program like getright you can segment the download to speed it up.

Mirror 1 (Fastest) (http://ddeaco.users.btopenworld.com/The_Experiment_Trailer.avi)

Mirror 2 (Very Slow) (http://www.freewebs.com/ddeaco/The_Experiment_Trailer.avi)

Comments plz

Thanks Dave

PS,
If you can host the file at some where with some fast download speeds, and post the link here, thanks.

Dave3D
04-16-2003, 05:18 AM
Oh,

I Forgot to talk about contense there, the trailer is for a Horror/Action film, called "The experiment".

Some of the highlights are:

A scientist getting his neck ripped apart
A SWAT team breaking thought a window
When the camera comes out the beast eye
Loads of gun fire
Nice BULLETTIME Shot
Some Nice looking titles
And a sound track that only the oldies will know who it is

Dave

hrgiger
04-16-2003, 08:43 AM
That's a pretty ambitious project Dave. Good work. There are some things that could use improvement.
I would lose that bouncing motion going up the stairs. I know you mean it to look like someone is walking up the stairs but what it actually looks like is someone trying to make it look like someone is walking up the stairs and in the end it ends up being kind of a cheesy effect. Having the camera just move up the stairs without bouncing will give you the same effect, hold the cheese.
It's kind of like a resident evil kind of concept so I understand it's kind of dark but I think too dark. I could hardly see what was going on most of the time. Even in films where it's pitch dark, they usually add some dramtic lighting to show the volume of characters, or even their movement. I know it's too dark because I just replaced my monitor because my last one was broke and was too dark.
Chracter work was a little weak but having only worked with Lightwave for only a year, I wouldn't worry about it. That'll come with time. Plus, I'm sure you were under a deadline to get your trailer done. Characters were pretty much untextured other then base colors, but again I'm sure you had time constraints. Your creature could definately stand to have some texture to make him more interesting. Whenever you have a close up like that one of his eye, you want a lot more detail.
The title of th experiement is pretty nice. I think the other titles were ok, nothing too exciting. I might spice them up with some kind of effect like them fading into a ground plane or something like that or with some other kind of motion.

Dave3D
04-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Yeah my biggest problem was the dead line, and i havent done any character animation before so it was a bit crappy, and that i was animating it about 4hrs before the final dead line didnt give me much time to add any real detail that i would of liked. But in 4 weeks its still a hell of a lot to make, rig all them characters and scenes.

But my tutors are really from this side of the industery and they loved it.:D

Zarathustra
04-16-2003, 08:40 PM
Won't play on Mac.

Let me guess - divx 5.03?

Did they just put out a new codec last week?

Dave3D
04-17-2003, 03:02 AM
MPEG 4 -

Mac,icky :p ARGH 1 MOUSE BUTTON :confused:

Zarathustra
04-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Save it, Punk.

Dave3D
04-22-2003, 05:12 AM
My Server has recorded over 140+ completed downloads, but only 1 of them desided to comment about it,:mad:

Shame on you:(

Comment plz

lardbros
04-22-2003, 05:53 AM
I quite like this!!

The soundtracks nice too! ...and for four weeks while ur at school, im impressed really! Im at uni, with loadsa spare time, and i should push myself to get some full animations done! Gonna be in my final year nxt year too, so i'll have the ones i do for that up on here i hope!

I liked the muzzle flashes, looked really nice! I think the biggest sin is using heads from poser...ARRRGHH, but then again, when time's against you!
It is a bit dark actually, especially on my monitor, which seems darker than anything ive ever seen! (even on full brightness!)

Keep up the good work!

(The download was superquick for me!)

Perfect_Storm
04-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Looks cool :)

lone
04-25-2003, 11:32 AM
DAVE3D - i'm impressed...i've had LIGHTWAVE almost exactly one year, and while i've gotten a bunch of models done, i'm not even close to doing a trailer yet. some good camera work there, and it definitely has the movie trailer feel/look. remember me when you get your first directing job!

kite
04-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Dave3D
My Server has recorded over 140+ completed downloads, but only 1 of them desided to comment about it,:mad:

Shame on you:(

Comment plz

Might be alot of mac's around here in real world, you know ;)

kite
04-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, I did try it in VLC, and it played it ok!
Looks good, would have taken me much more than 4 weeks I guess.

VWTornado
04-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Well, I'm on a MAC right now also (not at home where my PC is) and I can hear sound, but can't see any video. :( I'll try to remember to check it out at work on my PC where I have DSL.

blinblue
04-26-2003, 04:14 PM
One word: Cool :) . Very nice looking, keep it up:D

anieves
04-29-2003, 02:50 PM
I think you better give cridit to the artists of some of the models in that trailer.

the end looks familiar too, maybe because my short film trailer ends that way.A Step Below trailer (http://www.motionblurstudio.com/videos/images/asb_teaser.mov)

I don't mean to hijack the thread but look at my movie's ending... pretty similar...

EDIT: I mean give credit IN the trailer... maybe at the end.

Dave3D
04-30-2003, 04:26 AM
lardbros - Yes i throught it was a bit dark too, but my tutor said he liked it better that way so i left it like that( he was the one marking it).

lone - Glad you liked it, my main objective was to make it feel like a movie trailer as this is what we were getting marked on as is was not a lightwave course. So i had to work really hard and had to go back and change it again and again to make that movie feel right.

Kite - I know there are a lot of Macs out there but i just hate them we have them in college for the Graphics but they are just so Icky and just plan naf, but thats my opion.

anieves - I had never seen your trailer before, but i really liked it (what did you do that text in?). But the bit at the end i think mine had a little more impact than yours ;)

Thanks all

Dave

PS - Wow my first 2 page Post