PDA

View Full Version : A Keyhole with Volumetrics

grc
01-31-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi,

I am trying to do a simple keyhole shape and have a ray of light going through it and showing up like it's going through smoke or dust.

I presume the best way is with volumetric lights turned on and a spotlight going through a keyhole shape, but it's not giving me what I would expect.

Any ideas?

Wade
01-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Show me. :)

KPS
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Try creating an black and white image of the keyhole (white being the key hole that you want the light to take shape) in photoshop, and using it on your light as a PROJECTION IMAGE.

Click on the "Volumetric Light Options" make sure "Opacity Cast Shadows" is on.

Place the light behind the real Keyhole and align it until it looks right.

That should work.

attached is a rough example of the projection image.

grc
02-02-2005, 03:15 AM
Hi,

Thanks very much for that I will try it out, it sounds just what I want.

Sorry I don't have the scene sorted out yet, so I have nothing to show at the moment, but I will give it a go.

Wade
02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Are you looking for something like this?

Jpeg and Mpeg.

Wade
02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
And here is a scene file for you to play with - the scale of the thing is out of wack but hey it is free. ;)

grc
02-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Hey thanks for that, although I can't open the scene I can open the model, that just what I would like to get.

How did you set up your light? That's the thing I am finding it hard to get just right

Wade
02-03-2005, 09:55 AM
If you can view the file add .lws to the end and it will open fine. You you can not see it here is another zip file with the Scene reziped with the proper .lws on the end.

Not sure why that happens but it does.

The scene file will give you an Idea of what settings I am using. Now I did throw the thing together so the scale it way out of wack like the kep hole being 12 feet tall.... !

Here is another similar thead dealing with lights. http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32996

Have fun

Wade :p

grc
02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
That's really great thanks for that.