PDA

View Full Version : 7.5c and 8 crash under XP

Guest Member
01-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi guys,
I have a little problem with lightwave under xp
Both the 7.5c and 8 crash under xp, whatever I do it just freezes up during use and when i close the prog.
My pc is a dual core hyperthread multiprosessor system (or something like that) I am told. A 2.8Ghz with 1024Mb DDR ram. It also has two 20 inch pc-screens.
Thesame problem under windows2003, but w98 and w2000 seems to go fine with it. The prog also works fine under xp on other computer, but just can't figure out how to make it work on this one. The pc itself does not seem to have any hardware or software problems, it's only lightwave that refuses to work on it.
Has anybody got any idea what might cause this problem on this pc?

Silkrooster
01-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Check and see if there are any software firewalls including the one built into XP that are enabled. If they are the disable them and see if that solves your problem. Lets us know whether that worked or not, if it did work then someone can go into more detail about setting the firewall to except lightwave, if it did not then maybe some one else has an idea of what's wrong.
Silk

Guest Member
01-31-2005, 03:21 PM
I know how to set my firewalls, that is not the problem. Lw does work on other machines under XP.
Now the other day i was told it might be a problem in Xp service pack 2, can that be? It might indeed be possible that the other machine where it worked had still service pack 1. But I did have thesame problem under w2003.

Btw, the only thing about this computer that is very different from the others is that this is some kind of hyperthread system (it has only 1 2.8ghz prosessor but also emulates a second one to increas prosessing speeds)

Silkrooster
02-01-2005, 12:59 AM
The only problem you should have sp2 is that the firewall is turned on by default which can cause problems with other firewalls. Other than that it should work ok.
See if you can disable hyperthreading and the cpu emulator via the bios. That should either determine whether or not they are at fault. More or less a process of elimination.
Something else you could try is to run spyware and virus software. Sooner or later you will figure it out. Good luck
Silk

mattclary
02-01-2005, 05:47 AM
Guest, it's probably your video drivers.

Guest Member
02-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Thx, i'll have a look at the bios settings and the video drivers again (although i do think i allready have the newest installed and working perfectly)

I always immediately disable the build-in firewall. I'm totally not fond of all that xp-crap. At the moment I use zonealarm on this "problem-machine".
I'll let you know if the suggested stuff works.

mattclary
02-01-2005, 07:10 AM
(although i do think i allready have the newest installed and working perfectly)

"New" does not equal "good". Are you using an ATI video card?

Guest Member
02-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Radeon 9100 IGP for the primary display and the tv-screen
3D Prophet 4000 XT for the second screen

both their drivers are up to date, but before the update Lw didn't work eihter with the "older" drivers.

mattclary
02-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Does the working machine have the same video cards in it? How about trying an experiment: Remove the Prophet and it's drivers.

Guest Member
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
The problem seems solved, I can FINALLY start using my favorite lil proggy :D Huray!!!
And I still don't know what the problem was :P

As suggested here, I removed the hercules card and re´nstalled lightwave, but without succes. So I just put the card in, booted the pc and just like that tried LW again, and guess what... IT DIDN'T CRASH! :D :D :D
I don't think anything really changed, I just re´nstalled LW while the hercules was not present in the system, that's all. After the reboot with the card back in, LW worked!

I'm very happy that it finally works again, I haven't used Lw in just about half a year now. I did have it also on the other computers in working order, but those computers were much slower and so it wasn't very fun to work with.

Anyway, thx for all the advice guys. I'm very happy it finally works now :)