PDA

View Full Version : What's a good video card for Lightwave?

PxlPshr
01-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm using an Nvidia Quadro FX1000. Although it's great for Maya, it's a bit slow with Lightwave. I'm stuck, help!!!
thanks in advance.

ACLOBO
01-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Applications like Maya and 3dMax have special driver extentions to speed openGL operation using your pro card. Sadly, I don't think Lightwave has any special driver extentions to boost your openGL performance based on your video card. So, performance in Lightwave is based more on your processor speed and less on your GPU. This is one area where I would like to see some added support - make those high end graphics cards worth the purchase. As it is, any high end gaming card will do.

I guess the plus side is that you don't have to waste money on one of those "pro" cards when a good gaming card will do.

-Adrian

Beaker
01-31-2005, 06:04 AM
I use a GeForce 5200FX with 128mb of onboard RAM, and I've never been disappointed by it's performance, and it's dirt cheap.

I personally see the fact that LightWave will work with inexpensive cards as a good thing. I think NewTek would lose a ton of it's user base if you had to pay for an expensive graphics card on top of the cost of software.

Captain Obvious
01-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I personally see the fact that LightWave will work with inexpensive cards as a good thing. I think NewTek would lose a ton of it's user base if you had to pay for an expensive graphics card on top of the cost of software.

Having support for the power of modern graphic cards wouldn't make performance on more low-end systems worse. It would just improve the performance for those who have the hardware.