PDA

View Full Version : morph mixer woes

tim pfeiffer
01-30-2005, 01:28 PM
I just switched from Dell Dual 3GHz to Mac G5 Dual 2.5. OX 10.3.7 So far it's been a DISASTER! Slower renders on exact same files. That's disapointing. Crashes. Crashes. Crashes. I've had to re-install LW 8.0 several times in just a few days of hell. Now all of my morfs which were working fine a few days ago no longer morf when I slide the dang morf mixer slide. I've reloaded every plug-in several times. I just don't know what could be going wrong here. Anyone out there with an idea? Thanks for your help.
Tim

PS. I'm seriously looking into Cinema4D.

blabberlicious
01-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Spooky, as long time (and currently pretty disillusioned LW user) I was just about to ask people what they thought of the new 2.5 G5 Macs - and whether the brute force of all that power drags such an un-mac optimised mac into some sort of shape.

I guessing you have updated to 8.2.

If you are on 8.0 or 8.01 - expect all manner of instability. Additional Morphs added to an object in Modeler don;t come across the HUB to layout - which is madding.

Also (If you are pre-8.2) , the Menu Configs go tit*s up and forget the link to plug-ins which screws up any Plug-in configs you may have painstakingly built up. If you chose the Default Menu and Keyboard layout - you'll nuke your customs set up - but at least have access to plug-ins, etc.

Generally, it's always a good idea to REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS on you mac, as these can occasionally play havoc with apps - particularly after a system upgrade.

Welcome to the world of LW on a Mac.

:-(

As for your closing point, that application you mentioned is excellent. I spent the many months during the wait for Bone to to arrive on the Mac learning it.

On the down side, there are a lot of talented people who cut their teeth with LW, and the forums are much more interesting and informative that C4D. Take a look at the quality of the work, and you'll see that all that additional programming power doesn't necessarily translate into great art ;-)

As an app though, C4D is textbook example of how Lightwave should be. It runs EXACTLY the same as PC, and takes advantage of Open GL.

Saying all that, I would be interested to know why you made the switch to a G5, as I have spent a lot of time toying with going the other way - mainly because of my lack of faith in NT's mac product, and the fact that Dual PC sound like asthmatic helicopters - and I work from home :-)

Cheers

tim pfeiffer
01-31-2005, 07:11 AM
Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I am on LW 8.0. I'm always afraid to upgrade with LW because there are ALWAYS SO MANY BUGS! I know you and many others feel my pain. I started out on the Mac with LW 5.5. I strugled for many years and finally gave up and switched to the PC . I really don't like the Windows platform, although LW seems more stable the OS is not. So when the big *** G5 2.5 came out I was suckered in by all the hype. Oh well. I do a lot of other work on the Mac it won't go to waste. I guess I'll try to upgrade to 8.2 but I downloaded the Cinema 4d and love it. I can't believe I've been able to go right in and start figuring things out without a manual! Really beautiful interface. Why have I wasted so many long painful years with LW? Don't get me wrong. It is possible to create stunning animations with LW. Somehow. Life's too short. Time to move on.
Take care.
Tim

blabberlicious
01-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Steve,
Really beautiful interface. Why have I wasted so many long painful years with LW? Don't get me wrong. It is possible to create stunning animations with LW. Somehow. Life's too short. Time to move on.
Take care.
Tim

Agree with all you say - But I would say that LW has it's strengths - the Morph system in C4D isn't as flexible - and the power of Weightmaps and Morphs and realtime deformations is better (cough!) than C4D (for now).

If I had a PC set up, I'd have probably joined many of the people and taken up XSI, but I want to stay focused on the Art, rather than the tools.

Best wishes

toby
02-01-2005, 09:35 PM
If you are on 8.0 or 8.01 - expect all manner of instability.
I have 8.0 on a G5 and no stability issues -

Additional Morphs added to an object in Modeler don't come across the HUB to layout - which is madding.

This is a LW 8 problem, not a Mac problem -

Blabberlicious has had problems but not everyone has - to me there's more dissadvantages to owning a PC.

blabberlicious
02-02-2005, 01:44 AM
I have 8.0 on a G5 and no stability issues -

This is a LW 8 problem, not a Mac problem -

Blabberlicious has had problems but not everyone has - to me there's more dissadvantages to owning a PC.

If 'everyone' did character animation and wanted to rig in Layout , then we would ALL have had problems. AS the tools didn't work....

....on a MAC

The last project I used LW on was cursed with numerous zero K meltdowns, and crashing on incremental saving - giving you no way out.

I've spent a great deal of time battling to get NT to get those issues fixed, anbd if you bother to read my posts, you'd appreciate that my problems ARE mac specific, particualalry with the terrible OpenGL Optimisation that forced me off a machine that was perfcetlay capable on opther 3D apps.

I do agree about PCs, however

;-)

toby
02-02-2005, 10:41 AM
I've done plenty of character stuff on OSX, and the Morph update bug is NOT platform specific. The one time I had a zero k crash, and a crash on save, were both on OS9.

I'm not saying that your problems don't exist or that you're causing them, it's just a fact that not all your problems happen on every machine. And I think Tim's entitled to more than one opinion.

blabberlicious
02-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not saying that your problems don't exist or that you're causing them, it's just a fact that not all your problems happen on every machine. And I think Tim's entitled to more than one opinion.

I course - I wasn't trying to shout you down ;-)

Just to prove your point, I tried out a 2.5 ghz G5, running 8.2 - and the Bone split bug didn't happen. The Mirror Hierarchy bug was there, though.

Sorry if I came across as harsh!

eblu
02-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Also (If you are pre-8.2) , the Menu Configs go tit*s up and forget the link to plug-ins which screws up any Plug-in configs you may have painstakingly built up. If you chose the Default Menu and Keyboard layout - you'll nuke your customs set up - but at least have access to plug-ins, etc.

if you go to the "default menus" it nukes more than just your custom menus. The "default" menus in Lightwave aren't the same as the ones that ship with lightwave. Somebody forgot to dot their i's and cross their t's over at newtek, so if you ever hit the default menu button in the menu config panel, your'e gonna lose quite a few menu items that you may not notice are missing till much later. so there really is no known cure for this problem just right now, unless you prepare for it in advance and save you menus Before they ever go south.