PDA

View Full Version : Holy VT4 Stability Batman!

lucca65
01-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Can someone give me an unbiased opinion of where VT4 stands right now?

I've been toasting with VT3 for about a year and a half now, finally ironed out most of the kinks. System is running near perfect.

I want to upgrade to VT4 (hardware and software) eventually, but is it me, or am I seeing a lot of problems with the latest release?

Does the SP1 fix most or are there other problems?

Thanks

Lucca

tmon
01-30-2005, 12:52 AM
It would be nice to see a list of confirmed bugs posted here somewhere.

Because of some of the issues I've read about, I've been holding off taking the upgrade plunge for our two "mission critical" VT[3] systems at work....

ScorpioProd
01-30-2005, 02:29 AM
Any complex piece of software, like the VT, is always going to have some bugs left.

That said, I find VT[4]SP1 quite stable. (I run VT[4]SP1 with the old card.)

Some report some bad bugs, but they don't affect everyone. But again, I don't feel there are any more bugs in VT[4]SP1 than in any previous VT version.

And there are a lot of cool things in it to make it worth the upgrade for me.

And I'm only a post user, and everyone figures all the improvements are in live, but really, there's been a lot of cool things added to VT-Edit as well. :)

Jim Capillo
01-30-2005, 07:00 AM
I'd have to agree with Eugene. I, too, am a post user and I have very few problems. The improvements over [3] more than outweigh the glitches.

I've been able to get a lot of work done - it has more than paid for itself.

Jim_C
01-30-2005, 08:21 AM
IMO, 4 will become rock steady just like many of us have gotten 3 to be.
Just a matter of letting these guys bite the bullet for us and pound out the bugs.

If you are not dying for any of the great new features, hold off. It will only become more stable as the irks are shimmied out by users and the bugs are squashhed by patches.

I was lucky enough to take part in the VT3 Beta project and was one of those squashing bugs at its introduction. It was frustrating and exciting at the same time, but the heebie jeebies were ironed out as proven by those of us still flying on rock solid VT3's.
So will be the same with 4.
soon or eventually

so whatever all that means.....
:rolleyes:

Jim

ted
01-31-2005, 09:59 AM
I only had one "biggie". That was the VT4 "freeze" issue. But Paul was finally able to reproduce it and Andrew fixed that.
You could hold off forever, but even after forever, NewTek will push the envelope again and there will be another "bug" or two. Thank Goodness.

I'm not seeing any Show Stoppers. I think it's ready and able to take on with confidence.

JonCrowe
01-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Ted,

What "fix" are you refering to in regards to the freezing issue? And I'm guessing the fix wasn't included in SP1?

edmellnik
02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I would also suggest holding off. I had a near perfect running VT3. I was in the same boat as you and went for VT4 for the batch capture ability to export edls.

Well I got a lot of freezing and crashes and a very flaky batch capture.
I went back to VT3 and now VT3 is crashing and freezing a lot just like VT4 so
VT4 did some thing maybe in the registry or CORE? that screwed it up.

Actually, except for some belles and whistles, I which I would have stayed with VT3.

I would like to know what info was given to stop the freezes.

ed

tmon
02-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Hmm, does that mean we have a "split decision" here?

ed, is there any possibility that something went wrong with your install?

I know that sometimes they go well (installs, that is), and sometimes they don't....I'd like to be able to get some quantification of the crashing issue...e.g., are the crashes repeatable in VT[4] systems belonging to those who advocate the upgrade?

If nothing else, I'd like to know what to watch out for....what things to avoid, etc. Are there specific tasks or sequences of things that one can avoid (the flip side of asking, are the crashes/freezes predictable and repeatable?)

If these are known and replicatable (is that a word?) bugs, I would expect that the NewTekkers are working on them already..

BTW, I too am curious about the "fix" that Ted alludes too...did only Ted get this fix?

amxracer1968
02-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi,

We have been using VT3 for nearly 2 years and have recently upgraded to VT4 (with the old card).

VT4 is more than worth the purchase price. Aside from the cool new features, we have found it to be more responsive in editing and at least as stable as our VT3 system was. In fact, we are in the process of setting up a 2nd VT4 system (with the new card) which says quite a bit for the value we find in it.

It seems a few of the functionality changes that were made (for the better) in VT3
have gone back to "the old way" in VT4 :( Not a big deal but a 1-click affair now takes 2 or 3 clicks like it did with the original VT3 software... We are in the process of making a small wish-list to send to Newtek.

VT4 seems to require a high(er) performance system than VT3 did, which is understandable, and our once top-of-the-line dual Xeon 2.4G is starting to show it's age; and has dropped in status to a more or less Entry-Level setup with VT4.

Ron Miller
Senior Editor
Video-Plus Productions

edmellnik
02-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I have asked several times for Newtek to address the issues that a multitude fo us have experienced and they must be busy trying to figure it out because I have not received anything from anyone at NEwtek on the many posts.

No my install went very well. After they delivered to me a VT4 program disc that worked. We un-installed VT3 and cleaned up the registry of left over crap that Newtek should have taken with the uninstall. Then we installed VT4.

I dont have as much experience as to when and where the problems were since I had many projects going and could not afford to play so I put VT3 back on.

I think after you read the posts you can see there are many systems out there
with problems. If you do go ahead i would give you a heads up on the
audio problems.
If you want your wav files to be useable on other systems or playable on other software you need to know to change the codec setting to 44.1 16 bit stereo.
If you use the 48 - 16 bit stereo you will not get 16 bit but 32 bit which even windows media player cant play.. so watch it.

ed

amxracer1968
02-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Ed,

In our case, we did a clean VT4 installation as our system was in the process of a ground-up O/S reinstallation at the time anyway. Our Toaster/Flyer systems were pressed into duty during this time !!!

Perhaps there is something to be said about a clean installation instead of an new install over top of the old. Maybe we just got lucky, I don't know. I wish I had the time to pour over more of the posts in VTNT, etc; but, I don't. I was unaware of installation problems others have apparently had. I just purchased VT4, installed it and carried on with the footage already on our video drives. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

For us anyway, the NUMBER ONE stability issue with VT3 or VT4 has been DirectX.

Case in point... Just prior to receiving and installing VT4, we installed a new videocard. This card came with an older version of DirectX (8.something) that wrote itself into our then functioning VT3 system. This one change immediately brought lock-up and outright crash problems to an otherwise very stable system. By very stable I mean possibly ONE required reboot during an 8-hour a day editing session. Often we will go for 3 or 4 days (intense layering, etc.) without a single glitch. Anyway, a download of DirectX 9c ENDED the freeze ups.

VT4 seems to be on the same plane as VT3 was. Same gruelling editing chores, same reliability (as VT3).

If you can afford the time to do a fresh installation, it may be worth your while.
Your post states your VT4 installation, removal of same and VT3 reinstallation has affected your VT3 system as well. Sounds like a Registry issue...

As in previous VTNT posts, we use Norton Ghost, which has been worth it's weight in platinum. Once our system has been freshly reinstalled (like last week), I backup to a couple of DVDs and we are up and running in under an hour in the event of disaster.

Good Luck

Ron Miller
Senior Editor
Video-Plus Productions

DonN
02-01-2005, 09:26 PM
My upgrade experience with two systems, one hardware package and one software only, went without a glitch. No registry hassles. I am still on Win2000, :( but no sweat. All my old vt3 projects loaded ok, with just a few spots where the audio had to be tweaked up or down.
I have a dual 2.4 and dual 1.8 system both are running like champs. The 1.8 has to render more, green light issues, but I've learned to be patient, and just carry on while VT does its background thing. Follow ALL of the tips and tweaks already noted on these lists. You'll love VT4. I do. Don

lucca65
02-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info. It seems the jury might be still out, or are leaning towards an upgrade.

My VT3 is the heart of our production studio. I use it mostly for post, but have done live switching, lower thirds, while recording the whole show to the hard drive.

SO, I have to know how warm the water is before I jump in this time. Any locks/freezes would simply stop the show. So I might hold out till next update.

Thanks again. What can I say I love my VT3.

Lucca

bradl
02-03-2005, 11:36 PM
...Case in point... Just prior to receiving and installing VT4, we installed a new videocard. This card came with an older version of DirectX (8.something) that wrote itself into our then functioning VT3 system. This one change immediately brought lock-up and outright crash problems to an otherwise very stable system. By very stable I mean possibly ONE required reboot during an 8-hour a day editing session. Often we will go for 3 or 4 days (intense layering, etc.) without a single glitch. Anyway, a download of DirectX 9c ENDED the freeze ups...AFAIK DirectX will never let an install write an older version. That is a major no-no. Maybe you went from b to c or something? If it did write 8 on top of 9, I would make note of that manufacturer...

DonN
02-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Lucca, If your computer is up to NewTek specs, you'll love VT4. Don

Ed Wallick
02-05-2005, 10:25 PM
My experience is with a VT[3] and a VT[4]. For the longest time I left my VT[3] on my dual Xeon 2.6 with dual monitors because I had projects on both machines. So my VT[4] was on a Single P4 2.4 with single 19" monitor.

Finally I finished all projects so I switched the cards, uninstalled, cleaned out all references to VT anything from both machines. did the install on both machines so that I now use VT[4] for most everything and I'm glad I switched. Obviously, I use VT[4] for most work.

Both machines are used for post and I have practically no trouble. I've learned that it's wise to hit Ctrl S often. Before I switched (and did the clean out) I was having frequent lock-ups so I really think the "clean machine" cleared up many problems.

My 2
Ed

DonN
02-07-2005, 09:18 AM
I agree with Ed's assessments. And his experience mirrors mine, or visa versa. It's really a 25 cent opinion, but he'll never try to collect.
I am still using Windows2000 on both systems and find no problems. But my guess is that with WindoesXP there will be even more benefits for smooth VT preformance. One of these days I will make the switch myself.

A clean and mean, dedicated machine with a big, bad scsi array for video files, seems to be one of the favorable parameters for stability and therefore productivity. I do all my interneting, and most of my non-VT graphics, printing, DVD burning, etc., on another networked system. which I switch over to with a KVM switch (keybd, mouse, monitors). Files swapping and backing up stuff is reasonably fast over this standard ethernet network.

Don

ScorpioProd
02-07-2005, 11:09 AM
I also run Windows 2000 SP4, I have no reason to change. VT[4] works well with it.

Kevin
02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
We are also on Win2k SP4, and have ahd no problems with Windows. The only problems we have are caused by a bad hardware configuration (as far as I can tell).

kleima
02-07-2005, 04:55 PM
edmellnik,

Make sure you disable your NVidia NView Desktop Manager. Having it enable will cause lockups and weird behaviour.