PDA

View Full Version : 8.2 puts me back in Discovery mode (again) !

F1Racer
01-29-2005, 11:30 AM
This is not the first time this has happend with LW updates and I`ll be ****ed if I know why it happens.

Now again with the 8.2 upgrade installed it says it cannot find my licence key and runs in Discovery mode.

My licence keyfile as supplied by Newtek is present in the programs folder and the dongle is in my USB hub as always.

So what can be the problem ??? Arghh !!

gjjackson
01-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Make sure the sentinel driver is running. On PC's the services can tell you that. There is also a diagnostic in the sentinel folder.

MSherak
01-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Make sure you have the latest Sentinal Drivers installed on your machine..

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

F1Racer
01-29-2005, 01:25 PM
No luck :(

Installed the latest Sentinal Drivers and I can see that its running from the services.

LW still says it cant find my licence key.

Unfortunately theres only 1 interim solution if I want to have a running 8.2 until Newtek can sort this recurring problem for me. The frustration of this happening again makes me wanting to do this.

Silkrooster
01-29-2005, 11:50 PM
You should be able to log onto your account page and access your license #. Once you have that then you should be able to just enter in the license in layout.
Silk

hrgiger
01-30-2005, 06:31 AM
Is it possible that your dongle has gone bad. It happened to me about 6 months ago. Everytime I started Lightwave it started in discovery mode. It was fine though because I wanted to upgrade to the USB dongle anyway.

F1Racer
01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Hmmm I will test the dongle by installing LW on my laptop.
But if it is bad then the timing is amazing as its happened just after the 8.2 install.

Also I`ll email Newtek on Monday morning to see if they can help me out.

Kurtis
01-31-2005, 06:26 AM
F1Racer,

Which message are you getting?
License key not found or Hardware lock not found?

If you are getting Hardware lock not found, this means that LightWave either cannot find or cannot read your dongle. In this case, you would look for problems with your dongle or its driver.

If you are getting License key not found, this means that LightWave either cannot find or cannot read your license.key file. In this case, you would look to make sure your license.key file is in the LightWave [8]>Programs folder and that it contains the correct Permanent License Key number.

It sounds like you're getting the latter. Some things to check are:

Is the license.key file in the LightWave [8]>Programs folder? If not, place it there.

Do you have more than one LightWave folder on your system? If so, the shortcut may be pointing to the wrong Programs folder.

Does the license.key file contain the correct Permanent License Key number? If not, enter it with the hyphens and save it.

Are there any special characters (like a black box) or carriage returns in your license.key file? If so, remove them.

Is the file named license.key with no other extensions? You may need to go into Folder Options>View to make sure that Hide file extensions for known file types is turned off.