PDA

View Full Version : What video card do you recommend

Mat
01-28-2005, 06:17 PM
hello I am looking for some advise on a futre purchase of a new video card.

at the moment I am leaning towards a nvidia card.

the card that I am using now is a geforcefx5200 128mb ddr1

basicaly I need something that will handle high polygon models a bit better, ie character models. and if there is any one out there with a top notch system that can reccomend a good card that would be great.

I have a card in mind but you might know of another card that is better suited for the job.

nvidia 6800 256mb ddr3 $ 680 Australian dollars.

JCG
01-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Well, I don't have a "top-notch" system or anything, but I do have a 6800gt (with 66.81 drivers) and I have trouble imagining a better suited card. The models that required me to go fetch a cup of chocolate while they rotated with my previous card, now rotate like they were a cube. In fact, I haven't opened any model yet that causes a lag when rotating in modeller. Some, like the moonbase, feel slightly less smooth when rotating, but nothing that I'd really call a lag.

mattclary
01-28-2005, 08:03 PM
JCG, what spec machine are you running? Did you ever have a card other than the 6800 in it?

Mat, what about you, what spec machine do you have?

It seems to me that manipulating geometry is more dependant on the CPU with LightWave. I've never seen a big jump in speed when upgrading video cards (with Lightwave). This subject has been discussed ad nauseum, you might do a few searches to get more info.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32865

Mat
01-28-2005, 10:05 PM
thankyou for your reply.

before I was running on a p3e 500 mhz, 512 SD ram, and a voodoo 3 card, my current config is as follows: p4 2.6 gig, 512 DDR ram, soltec motherboard, nvidia geforcefx 5200 agp 8x 128DDR 1.

as you can see this was a significant upgrade and has offered me greater ease in editing high poly models. but when it comes to animation I feel I need a bit more zip in the old video card dept.

jcg is the 6800 and the 6800gt the same card

Lottmedia
01-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Ram might be a cheaper first step there, not just Lightwave but anything, usually when i upgrade machines I see more pep by doubling ram than sometimes even upgrading the processor. Not sure LW's specific mechanics here but i assume it should yield some good results, I don't run a machine without at least a gig lately. It's cheep

J-Rod

JCG
01-29-2005, 05:35 PM
JCG, what spec machine are you running? an athlon64 3200+ (one of the old models with less pins and less cache) on a k8v se-dlx

Did you ever have a card other than the 6800 in it? a pci voodoo banshee. (yes, there's quite a gap there)
jcg is the 6800 and the 6800gt the same card basically yes, but the 6800 has a few pixel and vertex pipelines locked and runs at a lower clock. It's also supposed to use ddr1, but you say it's using ddr3, which is news to me...

Lottmedia
01-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Just read in 1001 LW tips and tricks that LW requires an AGP card, it specifically said PCI could not do something or such, Just though tit was interesting.

J-Rod

Mat
01-29-2005, 11:28 PM
[PHP]basically yes, but the 6800 has a few pixel and vertex pipelines locked and runs at a lower clock. It's also supposed to use ddr1, but you say it's using ddr3, which is news to me.

Don't quote me but depending on the model and the amount of ram I think the 6800 that has 128 mb ram uses DDR1 and the model that has 256 uses DDR 3.

on another subject I have sertanly noticed the difference between 256 and 512. If anyone has gone from 512 to 1gig recently I'd love to hear there thoughts two.

Dark-Whisper
01-30-2005, 10:07 AM
I was on 512MB, but increased to 1.5Gb a while back.
The model I was working on at the time just kept eating more and more memory. I definately noticed an improvement after the upgrade.

I have had no problems with any models since.

Current Spec.
P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB RAM
Sapphire 9700 Sp. Ed.
LW [8.2]

Barred
01-30-2005, 03:31 PM
1 meg of ram would be the lower limit for LW an a PC I would use, at the moment I am using 4gig and have even had a 10 gig swap file to go with it (I forgot I was rendering one thing and yet another on another instance :()

As for the 6800 series, the plane 6800 is 125meg and is severly restricted with less pipes than the other versions of 6800 and is aimed at the budget end of the 6800 spectrum.

Then you have the 6800GT which can have 256RAM (DDR3) with a lower core speed and less pipes (it is possible on some 6800GT's to soft mod the gpu).

Then you have the 6800 Ultra, which is the fastest of the 6800 with all the pipes running and has the fastes stock core of all the 6800's with 256meg of DDR3 (512 coming out soon if not already).

I am running the 6800 Ultra with 72.25 drvers and LW is working a treat.

If you are running only 512meg of RAM I would sugest increasing that before going for a graphics card, if you are only running LW, or LW with PS as well.

JCG
01-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Then you have the 6800GT which can have 256RAM (DDR3) with a lower core speed and less pipes Actually, the 6800gt and the 6800 ultra have the same number of pipelines. They both have 16 pixel pipelines and 6 vertex pipelines.

The plain 6800 has 12pp(s) and 5vp(s). Theoretically, it can be rivatuned to enable those, but it depends on your luck whether the card you have will allow none, one or all of the locked pipes to be unlocked.

The only difference between the gt and the ultra (performancewise) is a slower core clock and a slower memory clock (350MHz/1GHz for the gt, 400MHz/1.2GHz for the ultra). The other differences are that the ultra needs two power connectors instead of 1 and that the ultra's fan requires two slots worth of space, instead of 1. Well, and the price.

For the memory, I'd open the task manager and check how much memory you're using while working with LW. If it's 517 megs or less, then you don't need more ram (since task manager uses about 5 megs). If you're using more, then you'd probably benefit from an increase.

Barred
02-02-2005, 07:16 AM
I did say that on some 6800GTs it was possible to soft mod them.

The emphasis is on 'some'. If you soft mod a GPU, you are breaking the warrenty, so if you do the mod and damage the card then you will have to go buy another one. At 200 a card for me it is not worth the price.

Even if you soft mod a GT you will still only be getting to the base Ultra speed's, so if you want that few % gained by overclicking then you might as well buy a factory OC then at least you will still have your warenty.