PDA

View Full Version : Poser

sentell01
01-28-2005, 04:12 PM
OK, stupid question but I'm new to LW so please cut me a little slack. Can you import a poser model into LW and if you can, will it import the textures as well or do you texture it in LW itself? Are there any specific models (V3 for instance) that seem to work better in LW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darth Mole
01-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Yep: no problem. Export the Poser scene as a Wavefront .OBJ file and then use Load Object to import this into Modeller. You then just have to link the various surfaces to the texture maps in Poser >Runtime>Textures. You do this using the built-in UV map - OBJ_UVTextureMaps. (You can do this for one surface and paste it into all the others that make up the body; the head uses a different map, as do the eyes, and the eyelashes. Use this as a clip map to reveal the individual lashes).

However... (sigh)

I just tried it with LW 8.2 and - hey! - guess what. It crashes.

.OBJ import worked fine in 8.0.1, but I guess that annoyed them so they broke it for the update. If you have an earlier version (it works with 7.5 which I've had to reinstall - grrrrr) then you can just save it as a .LWO model.

Darth Mole
01-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Well, here we go again. If you can replace the Conv3D.p plug-in from LW8.2 with an earlier version (preferably from 7.5), the .OBJ import works fine again.

I have to ask, what the hell is going on with this application? Why are unbroken plug-ins replaced in an update with versions that no longer work? It happened with the TIFF loader too. Why not leave well alone?

I'm off to use ZBrush and Cinema 4D...

sentell01
01-28-2005, 06:18 PM
thanks for the help - can't wait to see if I can crash the G5 (it'll be the first one).

Darth Mole
01-29-2005, 03:42 AM
If you're running LW it'll happen soon enough...