View Full Version : VT3 Upgrade Announcment Question

Keith Kittlesen
04-15-2003, 06:30 PM
I'm hoping someone from Newtek might clarify my understanding of the VT3 press release. The release says:
"...today announced that forthcoming VT[3] full suites and software upgrades will ship with a full copy of NewTek's LightWave 3D included, in lieu of LightWave Express, through June 30th, 2003. "

I take this to mean that if we get the upgrade before June 30th we'll get the full version of LW and that if we wait until July we'll get LW express. Is this correct? I have been planning on waiting to upgrade since I need to upgrade my computer to a P4 at the same time. But if I can get a second seat of LW I might get the upgrade sooner and just let it gather dust until I can get a new computer.


Jim Capillo
04-15-2003, 07:40 PM
As I understand it, it will not be a freestanding copy of LW - you will need the T-Card as the dongle.

Still, this makes it a deal hard to pass up.:cool:

04-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Since it said in lieu thru June 30th, I'm guessing it's altered software also. But I couldn't imagine NewTek dealing with a different version of upgrades in the future???

Unless, as has been rumored here, that version eventually becomes a higher end version of VT.

I think it would do NewTek AND the customers good to have various levels of software available. This is done with most other systems. It would also appeal to higher end users to have a Platinum TXXX available!!!:)

04-16-2003, 10:37 AM
One of the things I appreciate about NewTek, is that they DON'T try to carve their product up with varying degrees of crippledness just to be able to sell one at a low price!!
This alone stands them apart from most other media software companies. Take Sonic for instance: they have Scenarist for 100 grand, or something insane, and then they hack and chop until they get down to a free DVD-it or My-DVD! And, none of their products (except, presumably, Scenarist) are actually capable products!! They are ALL hobbled!
With NewTek, they throw in all the capabilities they have for ONE REASONABLE price! Don't change that NewTek! It is one of the reasons your customers are SO loyal!!!

04-16-2003, 10:39 AM
(I'm disagreeing with you, Ted - not really answering the original thread.)

Rich Deustachio
04-16-2003, 11:40 AM
I am speculating here but it seems to me that NewTek has a new version of Lightwave coming out soon and so the VT3 will include the full version of Lightwave 7.5 and then they will announce the new 8.0 or whatever the next version number will be. AT that time they will probably offer VT3 users an upgrade path from 7.5 to 8.x. It is a real nice feature for us soon to be VT3 users and is a great marketing tool for them. I doubt that after the so called limited offer they will go back to the lite version in VT3, but in order to spark sales they say by a certain date. I for one will be buying the VT3 upgrade not based on the full version of Lifgtwave, but based on all of the improvements made to VT.

The advantage of ordering the full VT2/VT3 if you don't have it at all would be the reduced price and the free upgrade to VT3 along with getting the full Lightwave 7.5. Don't wait....ORDER NOW!!!

Keith Kittlesen
04-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Actually I already own VT2 and a full version of LW 7.5 (I also own a full version of Aura 1.0d as well). MY VT2 is installed in a P3 800mhz which has worked well for my needs. I've recently moved my LW to a 1.6Ghz P4 laptop I bought a couple of months ago before finding out I would need a new desktop for VT3.

Since I need to get a new desktop to run VT3 I had decided putting off getting the upgrade until I had a machine that would run it. However, if I can get a second full seat of LW by getting the VT3 upgrade before July then I will probably do that. I would prefer working with the same program on both computers. So that brings it back to the original question of what version of LW will I get if I order the upgrade after June.

They may be getting ready to release LW8 and are using this as a marketing tool but it really doesn't matter to me. My upgrade path at the moment would be paying for VT3 (595), getting a new computer ($$$$), then any upgrade for my LW 7.5 seat (usually 495). Even if they do release LW8 this year I probably won't be able to afford it until next year anyway. I'm just interested in getting a second full seat of LW.


04-17-2003, 09:39 PM
if you are in the us you get this special but if you are like me and come from another part of the globe we are not fortunate nay we are not good enough to recieve these type of specials i think newtek need to make this clear on there website as i am tired of contacting the distributers here in australia trying to get these deals and only to be told that they are not available outside the us