PDA

View Full Version : Cell Therapy Pre-Vis

etobiason
01-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Received a layout for 3D execution from the client. The layout is for a concept of a print ad. This sounds funny, I know... usually I work from layouts for actual ads. But this particular agency has different teams working on different concepts, and each team brings their concept to a near-finished state. Then one is chosen for production, and finished up. Costly, but it's how that particular agency works. So here is the layout:

etobiason
01-28-2005, 11:08 AM
I was concerned about how I was gonna put hundreds of tiny marbles in that first beaker. I decided the only way to do it was to use Hard FX. I modeled the beaker, and then copied the inside of it to a new object. In layout, I made that new object completely invisible to rays and the camera, and designated it as a collision object.

I also made a stack of two hundred marbles that would fit through the opening (actually, I did this twice, the first time with 100 marbles but it wasn't enough, so I doubled the number of marbles). I gave them Hard FX properties, with substantial gravity, and placed them over the vial so they would drop in and pile up all on their own.

When it was finished, I had a new idea. Even though I made the collision object invisible, I found the single frame I liked best and saved the transformed object, which I then loaded into a new file without the collision object or any collision effects.

I used G2 and XDof for the final render. Here is the raw render.

etobiason
01-28-2005, 11:17 AM
And here is some setup. When I made the 100 marble stack, I just cloned a single marble straight up 99 times. When I doubled the amount of marbles, I copied that stack and then made a staggered line of marbles so they would all fall into the beaker in about the same amount of time as it took for 100.

sidetrak
01-28-2005, 04:50 PM
the second picture is way better than the first one, well done....is that Hard FX only possible in lightwave 8? ive never tried but i heard you cant do much in 7

etobiason
01-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I think Hard FX was a new addition with LW 8.0, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

-e