PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring Software

channel45
01-27-2005, 02:58 PM
What DVD Authoring Software would you reccommend for use with VT3. I've noticed that a lot of applications wont accept the RTV format, and I have to convert it to AVI or WMV. Any help would be great. I'm looking for something inexpensive and fairly to use (high school students).

robewil
01-27-2005, 03:19 PM
I prefer to use TMPGEnc 2.5 (Pegasys) (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html) to as my encoder. It will take a VT3 project directly (even with rtv's) and create very clean MPEG-2 files. Then I use DVD-Lab Pro (Mediachance) (http://www.mediachance.com) to author my DVD's. In my opinion, this is a very poweful, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive combination.

Jim_C
01-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Me too. And sometimes Encore.

Ivan
01-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Depending on what you are doing with it, DVD Workshop ships with VT4. For the price of the upgrade you now have a DVD solution. If you hae to purchase DVD authoring software anyway now you have VT4 for a few extra $$.

Ivan

adrian
01-29-2005, 01:55 AM
I use Adobe Encore 1.5 - however I don't have a VT but if it works with Encore then I would recommend this as it's very easy to use and gives good results.... but maybe it's not the cheapest option out there (although it was for me as it came free with my capture card!!).

Adrian.

inquisitive
04-23-2005, 03:17 AM
What do you guys/gals think of Sony (sound foundry) Vegas+DVD?
for me the upgrade to their latest version 6 is a little more than the upgrade from Ulead's bundled SE version to full version.

i guess they are apples and oranges uh? if i was to upgrade i should just go for vegas6+dvd?

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=967

wess
05-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I would vouch for Sony Vegas / DVD Architect for its ease of use and dependability.

Wess

ScorpioProd
05-03-2005, 12:00 AM
For use with VT[3/4], I'd go with TMPGEnc to DVD Workshop 2...

BUT, if you're looking for an HDV and DV solution, Vegas 6+DVD Architect 3 is one of the best ways to go. I've also heard the quality is as good as TMPGEnc, though I haven't tested that yet myself.

When doing DVDs, an integrated solution is always the best bet, such as: Vegas suite, Adobe suite, Apple suite or even Ulead suite. That is the only way you will get things like markers to chapter points, which is a BIG time saver!

tmon
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Sure wish I could get more comparitive feedback from users of DVDlab Pro:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/comparison.html

robewil
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
taiji,

I use it all the time. Do you have any specific questions? I tried Encore and Ulead each for a while but I didn't like their interfaces nearly as well so that's why I stayed with DVD Lab Pro. Its a fantastic program in my opinion. It seems to be capable of everything the other programs boast about.

They do have a full working 30 day trial. Try it.

tmon
05-18-2005, 08:03 PM
I guess the first question would be, "Why do you like it better than Encore or DVDWS?"

robewil
05-18-2005, 11:23 PM
I'll try my best to explain but it has been over a year since I've even looked at the other two so I have few specific recollections.

My impression of Ulead DVD Workshop (it was ver. 1.2) was that the interface was totally funky. Nothing about it seemed intuitive. It seemed to have a forced linear workflow, with tabs representing the steps to building a DVD. If you wanted to work on a menu, you had to go to the menu tab and no longer see other parts of your project (video/audio clips, chapters, controls). I remember the chapter defining to be tedious. I don't want to bash the program too much as I know many people like it.

Encore is laid out like Photoshop. I know that sounds great to a lot of people but personally, I never liked it. I just found it tedious to be always clicking tabs of the different sub-windows. It may have a lot of capabilities but they seemed to be very hidden and I didn't feel like bothering to find them.

Which brings me to DVD-Lab. (I should probably be a spokesperson for them :) )
It will import Photoshop layers for menu building similar to Encore
It has very good tools within itself for building menus
Having 4:3 and 16:9 video on the same DVD is pretty straightforward. Most other programs can't do this.
Creating alternate playlists (having alternate buttons to play a movie in a different sequence or omitting chapters) is easy.
Motion menu creation is great.
It has direct support for the TMPGEnc AC-3 encoder. Meaning you can take a wav file generated by TMPGEnc 2.5 (which doesn't support AC-3) and encode it to AC-3.
Auto-chapter menus is a real cool feature that would take too long to describe here.
Will report errors if you have buttons not going anywhere or menus that can't go home (very handy in complex projects)
It imports timecode lists for chapters. Basically, I find chapter points in VT-Edit, type in the timecode into a text file, and DVD-Lab Pro will import the file and create the chapters.
It has the option to legalize your video.
And... I honestly don't think I have ever crashed the program.

tmon
05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Wow. You should be a spokesperson for them!!!

I've been using DVDWS, and it has done the job for basic stuff (a bit "clunkily" and with LOTS of crashes), but I'm looking for an app that will do a bit more.

I'm going to check out the demo...The timecode list import is good, and I've been looking for another "alternative" playlist solution, though I think you can do that with chapter links in DVDWS as well.

Thanks for the great feedback. I hope Channel 45 is still reading the thread!

Pete Draves
05-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Here I put the vtp in to tsunami for mpeg encoding.
Usually I use custom i frame injection etc.
then on to encore for most authoring. I really like the custom things I can do with menus. Just reauthored a couple of bruce lee movies (legal) for mas production.
I can usually do with a single machine 7 to 8 titles per day. Yes I use batch encoding.
For more complex titles I use scenarist or maestro. some titles I have done with every chapter returning to the button pushed for learning sign language asl.
that disc had over 400 chapters. still with the fast work flow based on vt3 and 4.
most jobs are done in encore. dvdworkshop just does not have the ease of flow.
ac3 encoding is done in scenarist or encore
Pete
Pete

tmon
05-19-2005, 07:45 PM
And the approximate price tag on Scenarist or Maestro is.......?

:o

ScorpioProd
05-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Well, I'm still happy with DVD WS 2. For me it's stable, and it does everything I want. I honestly don't find it clunky at all, and I'm not clear why I wouldn't want to assemble my DVD in a "linear" way. It just makes sense to me.

It does my AC-3 encoding fine. The MPEG-2 encoding sucks, but that's why I do that in TMPGEnc.

I do plenty of complicated stuff in it. A bunch of my DVDs lately had three audio tracks each, with sets of nested menus for each audio choice with detailed playlists for each button. All worked well. Motion buttons or backgrounds also work well, previewing in real-time.

The only thing I wish it had was marker to chapter point support.

The only product I know that can directly handle that with VT[4] currently is DVD Architect 3. I may get to try that if I add the Vegas 6 suite to my system in the near future for HDV support.

Pete Draves
05-20-2005, 08:50 AM
sceanarist and maestro cost several thousand dollars
maestro was fron spruce which was purchased and KILLED by apple

these programs are only for the most featured dvd's that you can imagine.
I think the current price on sonic sceanarist is in excess of 4000.00.
I have been making dvd's since the original burner cost 5000.00.
I actually amortized the burner in 6 months doing interactive kiosk work.
I also have a dlt type III for making layer masters and encription.
Most stamping plants now take the dvd+r-dl 8.4g dsingle side discs for masters.
BUT since the encription key area is masked off never to be written to on all gp discs a dlt is still need for masters with encription and macrovision.

As I stated before encore works really slick and I think theat the reason NewTek went with dvd workshop was cost related.
dvdworkshop in some way comes free with almost all dvd burners these days but most of my work goes out to stampers.
Oh Yeah before dvd's I also authored Laser discs.
A lot of money there.
Now you know why I am the OLD GUY

mgrusin
05-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Last time I looked, DVD-Lab Pro had a 30-day unrestricted trial, I highly recommend trying it out.

IMO, DLP is an excellent example of "simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible".

Simple: Want a movie to auto-start then loop forever? Drag a link from the start/title button to your movie. Drag a link from your movie to itself. Done.

Medium: Want to create menu options that will play various clips in different orders without having to place multiple copies on the disc? Drag in a "playlist" object and load it up with your clips/chapters. Make as many of these as you want.

Complex: There are a number of "complex made simple" objects like the playlist above, but if you're ambitious enough to hand-code the low-level machine-language of a DVD, you can access that too.

It does have some rough spots: integrated burning works for some drives and not for others (I use Nero), the UI has a few weaknesses (can't multi-copy etc.), there is video but no audio preview, etc. But it sure as heck does a lot more than any other $200 DVD authoring app I know of.

-MG.

robewil
05-20-2005, 02:54 PM
...there is video but no audio preview...With ver. 1.5, there is now by going into Pro Extensions in the Tools menu.