PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Audition or Sony Sound Forge?

goodrichm
01-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Between Adobe Audition or Sony Sound Forge which one out of the box gets the job done and has best/easiest work flow?

Sound Forge is $100 more than Audition, but reading specs on the net they both seem to be similar in features and capabilities. What does SF offer for the additional $$?

I'm just getting started in VT4 video post pro & 2D/3D animation and need a program for audio sweetening, music tracks, etc.

My main software so far consists of VT4 SP1 with LW 7.5, DVDWS2 SE, Mirage 1.2, TMPGEnc Plus 2.5, and PhotoImpact 8. My PC is a dual 2.8 MHz Xeon, 1 GB RAM with Win XP Pro SP2.

I've asked this on another forum, but I'm still sitting on the fence post between these two programs! Like most folk, I want something that does it all, but at same time is easy to get results. If there's a better program out there, please let me know too! Thanks...Mark

Cobalt
01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
I couldn't tell you why there is a $100 difference in price, but I can tell you I have used versions Sound Forge since the last century with great results and much satisfaction.

Red_Oddity
01-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Well, if Audition is as user friendly as the rest of their line up, i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...besides, Audition is actually Cool Edit Pro, but only with a heftier price tag...

Sound Forge is very user friendly, boasts a lot of options and just feels a whole lot more professional...

Or you could just keep your money and try some of these free alternatives :
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

Orimar
01-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi goodrichm:

There is a fundamental difference between the two apps. Sound Forge is single, mono or stereo, track audio recorder/editor, whereas, Audition is a multi-track recorder/editor. So it really depends on your needs. Both have the capability of bringing in video files for syncing sound tracks. Both have a very good tool set, but if you are just interested in recording and processing single track audio to sync with video, then I would suggest Sound Forge. It's one of the best editors on the market. On the other hand, if you need to lay down and mix multiple tracks, then, a program like Audition would be required.

BTW, Vegas is Sony's multi-track audio/video solution.

Good luck,

.O.

Lottmedia
01-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Gotta say, the posts are swinging towards Sound Forge so I thought I'd chime in. I use Audition myself, along with all the Adobe apps. Haven't used Sound Forge so I can't be completely impartial. I don't do sound much, I'm lucky enough to have a collegue who does audio so I throw most things at him. What i do know it that Adobe is big on Audition being part of their Video Collection. That's the only reason it exists (with Adobe) and with each revision they're going to be pushing it's functions more and more towards the video editor. (not to say the're going to strip it out or anything) I'm sure someone will slam me here but I'm getting used to that on this forum. They're marketing it not to audio people, but video people. Adobe is really looking to an audio-for-video app with Audition, so if that's what you're looking for then great, I always found the other audio apps to be pretty arcane because of the specific knowledge audioheads seem to have squirled away in their heads.

J-Rod

Lottmedia
01-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Red_Oddity, why are you down on Adobe's interface (which by the way Audition hasn't been converted to yet) Just wondering, really. I find it nice but like I said, I use them extensively so the GUI is second nature to me. I have Combustion and find it's interface quite clumbersom but it's still useful in its way. Speaking of GUI, what happened to that proposed modification to Lightwave's?

(Sorry I'm getting off topic)
J-Rod

Red_Oddity
01-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Not to hijack the post here, but i found Adobe software very very lacking with updates of late, and i wasn't pissig on their interface, it's more to do with about the inconsistancies in interface and shortcuts between all programs in their line up...

Comparing the way Illustrator and Photoshop work for example (simple things like double clicking the program background to bring up a loader screen, PS yes, AI no.)
Or try to compare the way Premiere and Encore manage their content alone shows very large inconsistencies...

It's all nice and dandy that large corporations try to buy up as much programs as possible to release it under their own flag in order to enter as much different industry branches as possible to increase revenue, but i think they should do it with more thought and that they atleast should try to make all programs feel more as one big familie rather than some obscure shareware bundle...

It probably all comes down in the end to what your used to (heck i'm getting used to the fact that AFX can't even manage to run decent on a 3GHz P4 with 2GB of memory, i'm getting used to the fact that PS8 is a big slow bloatware pile of junk that still can't decently do 16bit or float, i'm also getting used to the fact that the moment i say something bad on the Adobe forum or make some request i'm being scolded at like some heretic and eventually getting banned for the umphteenth time even though i have been a customer of them for quite some years now (a european customer at that, that puts up with their outrageously expensive EU versions), but i'm drifting off here...)....

Audition probably isn't too bad i guess for a multi channel mixing/sample program as at it's core it's still Cool Edit Pro.

Anyhoo, as for LW UI overhauls....que? ...i think you're mistaking me for someone else here :)

videoguy
01-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I prefer Adobe Audition, In my experience it is faster then sound forge and has more features such as multi track editing Directx, VST and rewire plugin support. but for the most part these days asking someone which software app they prefer is like asking if they like coke or pepsi ! they both do pretty much the same thing the same way

Lottmedia
01-28-2005, 10:20 PM
No, I'm probably mistaking me for someone else. Juse heard some stuff about a re-design back when someone was doing that LighwaveX thingie, just a concep as far as I know. As for the Adobe stuff, i found myself nodding along with what you're saying, their consistancey among apps seems to come in spurts or they'll come out with a new feature on one app and want to get it to all (my peve is the scrub-able values with PS and AE but nothing else) But then I got thinking, who else has a suite of apps comparable to what adobe offers? It's hard to compare their consistance among apps when no one else has a comparable line (someone might bring this up but I don't consider Apple in here)

Any ho... I getcha' Hope we didn't derail the topic too much.

J-Rod

kike01
01-29-2005, 07:25 AM
steinberg's wavelab is the answer. the best audio editor on the planet.
check it out:
http://www.steinberg.de/Category_sb.asp?Category_ID=10&langue_id=7&Family=0

anieves
01-30-2005, 09:46 AM
I was going to suggest ProTools but the free version only runs on Windows 98, ME and OS 8-9 :( oh well...