PDA

View Full Version : Convert 2-point polys

Thomas M.
01-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Well, I'm running into a little problem here. I do have a spider web made out of 2 point polys conected with each other a the crossings of the web. I know that I can render 2point polys in LW but want to give it a bit of depth in some clothups. I wanted to extrude the 2point polys, smoothshift the result and flatten it again. The result needs a bit of cleaning as the polys arent connected. I did hope UNIGON from Pictrix would generate one poly out of the whole mess I then could bevel, but unfortunately UNIGON doesn't work the way I need it to work.

Anybody a guess what the best way to convert the 2point poly web into something with a volume is?

Thanks folks
Thomas

Silkrooster
01-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Extrude for depth and smooth shift for thickness. As for leaving them round and your trying to make them thicker, go to the properies panel in layout for that object and change the edges tab you should see a particle/line thickness. It is still possible for it to look distorted. Another option you could try is create a disk and use the rail extrude tool. This will allow a perfect circle and you can make it as wavy as you want using bezier or spline tools
Another point about 2 point polys, if you extrude and smooth shift them, all polys should be 4 point polys, so you can sub patch it. BTW, if you smoothshift, it maybe necessary to delete the 2 point polys and use the new polys.
Good Luck,
Silk

Silkrooster
01-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I ran across a neat little plug in, that I heard about over on Spinquad. Go to flay.com and do a search for truss. I beleive the one I tried is truss2, I did not try the other two, but they sound like what your after.
Silk

Thomas M.
01-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Thanks Silkrooster,

that's what somebody else suggested to me, to use truss2. But it still doesn't work with 2point polys. To convert my 2point web into polygons I extruded it, unfied the polygons and stenciled them into a large 4sided poygon. You just need to select all new polygons, bevel them and then press delete. What remains is the inital web with kind of a bigger stroke.

Cheers

Thomas M.
01-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks Silkrooster,

that's what somebody else suggested to me, to use truss2. But it still doesn't work with 2point polys. To convert my 2point web into polygons I extruded it, unfied the polygons and stenciled them into a large 4sided poygon. You just need to select all new polygons, bevel them and then press delete. What remains is the inital web with kind of a bigger stroke.

Cheers

Silkrooster
01-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Where the truss plug in would come in handy is if you took a disc, smooth shift once then sized the new geometry in, then repeat several time to get the look of a web and perhaps even rotate a few of the new geometries. Then applied the plug in to that. An example attached.
Silk