PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on a new Powerbook

ateale
01-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Hey Guys!

I am thinking about buying a new 15" 1.5GHz powerbook, with the 128MB video card (ATI) and upgrading to LW 8.2.

Does anyone have one of these and lightwave running on it? Any opinions?

I've been using it on a powermac g4 dual 1.4 gHz mac - works pretty well - and that was LW v7.5c.

Thanks!

adam

tumblemonster
01-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I run Lightwave on a Powerbook 15inch w/1.25Ghz and a gig of RAM. Works great! Obviously, more complex scenes slow down a bit, but thats true anywhere. I would get a second monitor. The graphics card supports a seconds display, and you'll use it!

-tm

ateale
01-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Hi TM,

thanks for getting back to me.

Sounds good to me! How much better is the 128 MB card compared to the 64 MB card - i guess i mean, is it noticeably better using lightwave?

Have you maxed up the ram too? whats the limit ? 1GB?

Thanks TM!

Adam

unc1e meat
01-27-2005, 02:17 PM
I have the 17" model with 128mb video card, 5400 rpm hd, and 1gb of RAM. It works great for Lightwave.

For real time performance, it's really not much slower than the pro nvidia card in my dual xeon dell. It's an older card but still pretty impressive that the mobile card in the powerbook can perform that well.

For detailed info on how the 128mb card affects performance, go here- http://www.barefeats.com/pb12.html

by the way, if you haven't already purchased your powerbook then you may want to wait. A slightly updated model is rumored within the next 2 weeks. Not a big update but still an update. Most likely 1.67ghz models. Not sure what the vid card will be.

ateale
01-27-2005, 02:47 PM
uncle meatthat is exactly what i was hoping to hear!

how is 8.2's performance compared to 7.5c? is it better interactivity or just more cool features?

thanks!