PDA

View Full Version : Architectural walkthrough - many layered object or many objects?

c0deb0y
01-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm still adjusting to the new incremental save feature of LW8 which is fantastic BTW! However, I'm curious what different people do for scenes like an architectural walkthrough, whether they just create one big layered object for the sake of laying out the scene or if they would save all the objects separately. I did it the previous way, and I noticed that when I switch over to Modeler to make a tweak here and there and then incrementally save it, synchronize Layout, and then switch back to Layout, Layout still thinks it's reading from the previous version of the object file.

It also seems to regard each layer of an object as a seperate object so do you have to re-import every layer of the new version seperately?

If you say save all objects in Layout , it seems to be updating only that older version.

Is there a way to make sure the incremental saves are being updated in the scene or should I just have a completely seperate object for each so I can re-import them without problem?

Sorry if this is too NOOB , I am just trying to get a handle on the two seperate programs deal. It took lots of frustration and re-doing ALL of my textures over and over before a kind soul alerted me to the fact that surface changes made in layout are not saved in the objects and therefore are lost if you don't do "save all objects".
Thanks
C

gaushell
01-26-2005, 06:57 PM
I prefer to keep separate objects for a few reasons:

1. they can get hard to deal with in modeler and really bog down work flow
2. bigger chance of files crashing or getting corrupted
3. we use an extensive library of objects and I'd rather be able to do easy reload substitutions in layout versus moving an object in modeler and deleted the old copy or copies.

Having said that - during the early modeling stages I do cut and paste layers temporarily around (like site and building components) to other objects to help align or tweak things.

theo
01-26-2005, 08:12 PM
On involved scenes that consist of static elements I forgo the incremental save completely and create my own backups.

Because I hate the hub so much what I do is probably insane to most but it works for me. In a days time I will have MANY MANY changes within a Modeller object (and its many layers) due to the fact that I am extensively using Layout to assist in building an environment. I do a lot of fine art so I am not using blueprints but am creating as I go along based on my own sketches so this may not apply to most guys in this instance.

What I will do at various stages of development is DELETE a particular object layer in a scene WITHIN Layout and will then reimport that object layer back into Layout after it has been tweaked or overhauled in Modeller. This is super fast and easy and I have a guaranteed object file that is perfectly updated.

Believe it or not I have done this countless times with ENTIRE Layout scenes. I have wiped the entire scene clean of MODELLER object layers and did a fresh import of the entire Object (and its many layers that have objects on them).

I rarely import SEPARATE objects INTO Layout to build a scene. With the fact that the above works well for me all objects are combined in Modeller first. I rarely have major issues with bog down because I use a ton of layers to keep elements separated. Corruption will not be a problem if you keep backups in a separate folder.

When I have major tweaking within Layout and need to update this back to Modeller I use the "Load Objects from Scene" plugin which can be found on Flay.

Steve McRae
01-27-2005, 06:33 AM
thanks for that theo - that is helpful

c0deb0y
01-27-2005, 09:35 AM
heh heh, ok so I guess everybody does it differently. Thanks for the tips!