PDA

View Full Version : Fprime vs G2

c0deb0y
01-26-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm kinda new so bear with me here please. I'm always hearing about Fprime but when I checked out Worley's site, G2 seems to be about the same thing or more. Can anybody tell me why you would pick one over the other or do you need both for different reasons?
thanks
c

beverins
01-26-2005, 05:08 PM
as far as I can tell, G2 has an Fprime-like engine, but it really doesn't render in real time. G2 caches the scene and then makes the changes using clever techniques like Viper does. G2 also has far more control over lighting and the various types of surfacing attributes on a far deeper basis than the Surface Editor does. G2 also has a nifty Art Mode which allows you to make your own psuedo shader by just drawing a ball with highlights and shadows in any style you wish.

Fprime is an add-on renderer, and has no controls outside of radiosity settings for the most part. It renders far faster than the LW renderer, but is hampered by the lack of an open SDK from Newtek, and thusly cannot access all of Lightwave's rendering processes and image filters. Nevertheless, it does a marvelous job. Fprime rendered a scene that was taking WEEKS (a scene with loads of refractions, with radiosity, etc) in maybe 12 hours. That's quite a difference. On more optimized scenes, it renders scenes in seconds which take Lightwave several minutes. However, keep in mind that because it cannot currently access some post-render modules and stuff, some of the render heavy things like volumetric particles aren't going to render at all. Those you still have to render the old fashioned way.

c0deb0y
01-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

So if you really just want the speed upgrade for setting up your scene's lighting, etc. is it better to get G2? Does G2 have the same limitations in seeing certain things like hypervoxels that Fprime does?

Can VIPER be used to check your lighting setups? It seems to really only work for surface editor, hypervoxels and background texture.

If you could only get one or the other for budgetary purposes, which would it be?

Is there a cheaper or free alternative to these two plugins?

hrgiger
01-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Fprime is not always faster then Lightwave, it depends on the scene. Fprime's advantage comes with it's progressive refinement which allows you to see a roughened version of your final render almost instantly.

harlan
01-26-2005, 06:03 PM
LOL!!!! Your friend Mary's shirts are pretty sweeet. I'll probably order the "I am a fraud" shirt!!

Oh, and to get back on topic. Just read the information pages on Worley.com man. They're two completely different products. FPrime is a Render Engine and G2 is a Shading System. One renders, the other shades. Clear as mud?? :)

hrgiger
01-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Harlan, yeah the shirts are good. I'm actually wearing the "I'm dead inside" one right now.

pixelranger
01-27-2005, 12:47 AM
If what you want is to cut production time in half by seeing lighting changes including multibounce radiosity in real time (or at least get a general impression in real time) I'd go for Fprime!

If what you need are in depht tweaking possibillities for surfaces I'd go for G2!

Jake
01-27-2005, 07:26 AM
It drives me insane that these 2 don't work together!

FPrime is great. If you're new to lightwave, you might want to go that direction since being able to see instant updates to your lighting, surfacing, etc. will teach you more about how to get the effects you want.

However G2 is also really cool. It gives you tons of options for tweaking surface perameters. Since it can do changes per surface, you can leave you light setup in place and tweak specific areas to get the whole image the way you want. Also, like someone mentioned, the options are more powerful than the basic surface editor. For instance, the specularity tab in G2 allows you to set up 3 different specular regions, set their glossiness, color, etc.

I have both, and both are certainly worth having.

mattclary
01-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Man, I can't WAIT until Worley gives us a new version of F-Prime.

c0deb0y
01-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks all. It seems that for what I am going to need it for : setting up lighting within scenes faster that Fprime is candidate for 1st purchase.
Sigh... that darn Worley has way too many cool plugins. (drool)

Wade
01-27-2005, 10:09 AM
I for one am waiting for the Worley super duper combo pack all in one; for a wee bit more than the price of some. Can not we dream.

I have Fprime it is great, but some of my scene are too big for it as it likes it's memory too much. :eek:

WWadeW

kfinla
01-31-2005, 07:28 AM
how heavy r your scences?

I've got 2gb of ram and have rendered zbrush models up to 6.3 million polys, with 3 bounce monte carlo in the Fprime previewer.

But to get back on subject, id love to see Fprime working with G2, SAS, hypervoxels etc. The fact that its so fast just using 1 proc is crazy. But i thought we'd see a multiproc version maybe 8 months ago.

Captain Obvious
01-31-2005, 10:38 AM
I too have a question about Fprime... How is the Mac performance compared to the PC performance? I'm looking to buy a computer of my own this year, and 3D software to go with it, but I'm having a very hard time making up my mind...

kfinla
01-31-2005, 10:59 AM
well im not sure you'll find an answer to frpime on mac versus fprime on pc. I've technically used it on both platforms, and dont remember any differences, granted this was a year ago roughly. If i was to bet id side on the pc just because im pretty sure it wrtten on the pc and then ported to mac. it my understanding though taht OSX is better at managing system resourses and memory than XP. But windows was better with ram than oS9 was.

As far as 3d goes. Ideally have both a pc and a mac. i love my mac, and feel more productive on it, it even seems alot more stable. but studios ive worked at and even CG i did at school were/are windows or linux based, most software comes out first or is only available for pc. Best case seneario is mac and pc are released together. 3d on the mac is starting to come around with things like modo. LW, maya, c4d, zbrush etc are all on the mac also. I take it your a LW user though. Ive thought of switching, but have some much invested in plugins and software i just havent. The reason is always cuz of somthing that is only on pc. Anyways.. all i can say is way your options, pros and cons.. if the computer is just for personal 3d work then its really a matter of taste.

c0deb0y
01-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah,
I used to swear by Mac, but I got tired of looking at all these things like plugins or freebie programs that would be helpful that are not available for Mac. I guess it's beginning to balance out, but we're certainly not there yet. That's the beautiful thing about LW is that it works well on both platforms and the license is good for either one. All graphics packages should be so fair!

Captain Obvious
01-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Yeah,
I used to swear by Mac, but I got tired of looking at all these things like plugins or freebie programs that would be helpful that are not available for Mac. I guess it's beginning to balance out, but we're certainly not there yet. That's the beautiful thing about LW is that it works well on both platforms and the license is good for either one. All graphics packages should be so fair!

Yeah, that's what causing my headache. I can't really stand using Windows, but I suppose you don't really notice the difference inside of LightWave. The plugins are more plentiful... etc etc.