To profoundly improve workflow, artists need a checkbox button
in the image texture mapping panel located next to the image
selection dropdown called "Use Embedded Alpha Channel" which
would be checkable when an image is selected from the list has
an embedded alpha channel.

Reason... this allows artists to bypass the need to go into the Image
Editor panel and create an Instance of an image that has an embedded
alpha and to set that instance to alpha only mode for use in grayscale
texture channels such as transparency, luminousity, etc.

When an artist has several dozen such images, creating alpha-only
instances presents a management as well as workflow impediment,
even though one can multiselect images in the editor and create
instances all at once. Still, the issue of image list length and manage-
ment and accessability in dropdown selector lists remains. Having
such a "Use Embedded Alpha" option in the image texture mapping
panel would eliminate such issues.

gromit
01-27-2005, 12:34 AM
I agree.

It would help also if you could atleast create image instances, change image alpha modes and texture layer inversion in lscript.
I have been trying to create a lscript to help me with setting alphas to channels such as transparency, but due to limitations in lscript, it works only partially. I still must do these things manually. This is very frustrating when objects holds lots of surfaces that needs transparencies, and lots of different textures, which is very common in situations I work in.

With lscript, setting image alphas to texture channels would be a piece of cake if it could be possible. :rolleyes:

Sande
01-27-2005, 01:28 AM
While watching Gromit's anguish here at work, I strongly agree implementing this ;)

MonroePoteet
09-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Agreed. We just had a long, painful topic in General Support about using embedded alpha channels:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40881

An alternate, and simpler implementation would be to duplicate the Alpha Channel pulldown on the Image Editor panel (providing Enabled, Disabled, or Alpha Only) onto the Texture Editor panel. The Image could then provide all RGBA data, and the appropriate Surface Textures could choose their desired data usage without having to clone the image.

In addition to this, there is some logic to considering the embedded alpha channel in an image as automatically inverted in the Transparency channel (i.e. implicitly checking the Invert Layer box). Even the alpha channels output by Lightwave itself have pure white as opaque and pure black as transparent, opposite to what's expected in the Transparency channel.

mTp

P.S. The implementation proposed here would allow embedded alpha channel data to be used in *any* channel, not restricted to the transparency channel.

Lightwolf
09-26-2005, 02:42 AM
An alternate, and simpler implementation would be to duplicate the Alpha Channel pulldown on the Image Editor panel (providing Enabled, Disabled, or Alpha Only) onto the Texture Editor panel. The Image could then provide all RGBA data, and the appropriate Surface Textures could choose their desired data usage without having to clone the image.
Actually, to take this one step further, what if your had a complete channel selection pop-up underneath each image in your texture layer, i.e. in case of a 32bit image:
- RGBA
- RGB
- Red
- Green
- Blue
- Alpha
- Luminance

All of which are extracted from the original image on demand.

Incidentally, this is how the next version of infiniMap will treat images :)

A nodal system will of course make it a lot easier, load an image, connect RGB to the surface colour and Alpha to the transparency channel and you're set...

Cheers,
Mike