PDA

View Full Version : in conclusion

illegal
04-15-2003, 02:48 PM
the way it went was like this:

I was trained on how to use lightwave in school, but have never purchased or used the software outside of class. I'm just a regular person without work involving the program so I can hardly justify a couple thousand dollars for a hobby. I am a traditional artist, not a natural 3D artist. I would give my left foot for a concept artist position and would almost turn down any offers to work in 3D. It's just not as fun for me personaly. It's fun, but I love drawing, always have. It just so happens that I'm pretty good with Lightwave.

The company required assets that needed to be created in 3D. In order for me to accomplish the same look without using a 3D program would have taken me at least a couple of weeks using Photoshop, so I told them the only way to do it is to use a 3D program and asked if they would purchase the license. I wrote them several reports stating the reasons for the PO and asked them to purchase the software for my station so that we could expand our in-house development. Since I was in the marketing department, and not R&D, they didnt' think it was worth it.

However, my immediate boss made it clear to me that they needed it to be done. I know that you can obtain software anywhere. Any software at any time. Most everybody knows that. I told them that we could get a program to do the work but it would be unlicensed and would have to be put onto a PC computer. I made the consequences clear and my manager agreed to those terms. Since I was using a Mac at the office, there was no option other than to bring my own computer. Those were just the circumstances. The problem here is that I was constantly under the impression that any and all mistakes or refusal to do work would result in my immediate termination. Aside from the point, I was certainly right about that. However, I was never bold enough with them to test that theory (which would have proven me right, I'm sure) Also, literally every single project I had ever been told to do at that company had a maximum deadline of 2 days to finish. I found no other option in the situation than to do what I did. Under fear of losing my job.

So wether or not the company forced me to do it is up in the air. On one hand, they didn't say "use illegal software or you're fired". But on the other hand, they made it clear it needed to be done. I didn't know what else to do. I'm just a regular person trying to get through life. I can argue that my job was threatened.

I have already decided to let the entire issue pass. It's not worth it for me and I'm not willing to go down with them if things do really get as messy as they should. Besides, my reputation in the industy I work in would be ruined for turning them in. I was initially angry because of the circumstances of my firing but that has passed and I'm going to drop the issue.

Under California law, I can be fired for any or no reason at all. They hid behind that fact. I've already talked to an attorney and I have no case at all for wrongful termination or anything like that. In answer to some of the issues brought up here, I did not receive one single warning before I was terminated. Written or verbal. I was repremanded for a mistake I made and I argued my case and was let go immediately, end of story. I have worked almost my whole life as an artist and spent several years in school to land a job of the caliber that I held there. It was very important to me to be respected and appreciated for all of that work. When I realized that wasn't going to happen, I figured they didn't deserve all of the things I did and risked for them, hence my post.

illegal
04-15-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry, this post was to be part of a previous post found here.
my mistake

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3237

Rei
04-15-2003, 03:09 PM
that may be what your oppinion stands at. However NewTek will be the final desicion makers. this could result in any number of prosicutions, and allmost certianly a ban placed upon you. although i think that was thought of with the name supplied.

I have no oppinion on the matter of Pirate software

Rei

Psyhke
04-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Why not instead of putting energy into plotting revenge, put it all into getting a new better job, work on your portfolio, do something creative. Negative energy will sap your creativity. Just MHO.

Beamtracer
04-15-2003, 05:33 PM
The company should be reported for using pirated software.

SplineGod
04-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Heres the way I look at it; this was the wrong place for you to be working and they did you a favor by firing you. If I was working someplace where unreasonable or immoral demands were place on me I would leave. Even if you were rehired due to a lawyer what do you think the environment would be like after that? Its not worth it.

riki
04-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Yeah just move on man. But stick up for yourself next time. I always opt for confrontation rather than the behind your back approach.

Hiraghm
04-15-2003, 08:27 PM
What I would like to see happen is for you to give Newtek their company name/address and for Newtek to send them a sales brochure, with a nice letter stating that since they have already used Lightwave, and are still using the byproduct of LW, Newtek feels they are certainly wishing to buy a legal copy of the software in lieu of violating copyright, etc etc.

:D

mattclary
04-16-2003, 05:51 AM
I still don't buy it. In fact, I buy it less than I did from the original post. So this company wanted you to produce 3d graphics when they owned no 3d programs? I think you volunteered to do this.

colkai
04-16-2003, 05:52 AM
Hiraghm,
That's a capitol idea!, regardless of the legality of the user, it would be a good "we know where you live" slap in the face for the company concerned!

I say, do it.

lone
04-20-2003, 08:51 AM
north carolina has the same BS employment policy, and unless you work/ed for a company that is terrified of negative publicity, there is no recourse. given the current job market, i am inclined to cut this guy some slack, but i'd really, really like to find out the name of this company. it's that kind of cheap, greedy, inexcusable behavior (and it's always the companies that can afford to spend the green that pull this kind of crap) that give CAPITALISM a bad name.