PDA

View Full Version : Wacom tablet?

modent
01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
I was thinking of getting a wacom tablet for some of my 2-d animation and was wondering if there would be any workflow advantages for Lightwave. Does anyone out there use a drawing tablet with light wave? Does it help?

-Thanks

ddaniels
01-26-2005, 01:22 PM
I use one all the time. I have it for photoshop and illustrator but now use it for everything. Its really nice having one. just have to make sure to change your settings in LW for use with a tablet or it will drive you crazy

riki
01-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I bought one without thinking too much about it. But it's too big, if I place it beside my keyboard I find I'm sitting about a metre back from the screen when I need to type. A slight exaggeration. But I don't like the way the new ones have been designed they waste too much space trying to look big.

Ryhnio
01-26-2005, 05:01 PM
does the size of your monitor equal to the size of which wacom you get?

-ryhnio

riki
01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
No I don't think so. They just come in a standard size which maps to your screen. I bought one of the new Graphite 8x6 Tablets. The actual active area isn't that big, but it's framed by an acrylic handrest I guess would be a good way to describe it. It also has programmable buttons and scrollbars on both sides which I don't like. The scroll function is a bit jumpy. Plus I always find that I end up holding the pen tool when trying to type. I guess I'm still getting use to it. Not so convinced yet.

parm
01-27-2005, 05:18 PM
I highly recommend using a tablet, I started using one with LW when the cursor went haywire on one of the updates, can't remember which, and have never looked back.

For really extended modelling sessions with lots of point tweaking, it comes into its own, its precise and you have none of the fatigue and repetative strain associated with mouse useage for those kinds of tasks.

Further more, the new Intuos 3's have fully programable buttons on them, that can be easily mapped, to give easy access to frequently used tools.

However, I would echo rikis' warning to give carefull consideration to the size of tablet that you get. Bear in mind the physical distance that you have to move the pen from one side of the screen to the other, (over 30 cm for an A4), and how comfortably you can hold the tablet.

For me either A5 (6 x 8) or A4 (9 x 12).

Parm

SeptemberSnow
01-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't use the pen with my wacom table for lightwave, but I use the mouse that comes with the wacom as my only mouse. I've tried using the pen with lighwave, but i never could get used to it, and I missed the five button mouse.

I have the mouse programmed just the way I like it, so I don't use anything else.

I have a drawer on the right side of my desk, next to my keyboard. I keep the drawer open and place the 12X12 inch tablet on that open drawer so it leans on my desk. It makes a very comfortable angle.

paulhart
01-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Highly recommend getting a Wacom tablet. I built a little support extension with some drawer slides to the right of my keyboard and I have my mouse pad to the left. I have Lightwave setup for tablet use, but use the mouse on my left hand for fast menu'ing, and the tablet for all drawing and point and modeling activities. Very responsive for all art activities, use it with Painter 8 and never look back. Drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a charcoal briquet, while the Wacom gives you fine motor control for the detail you expect. Whatever size you get, it maps to the screen. I have dual screens side-by-side and it maps to the entire "real estate", very cool.
Paul

eblu
01-28-2005, 01:39 PM
i have purchased a 9x12 intuos 3 for home use, and alias sketchbookpro.

in the past I felt that the sensitivity of the tablet was not as good as the feel of a real pencil on paper, back then I had a 6x8 adb model for my BWg3.

the intuos 3 however is perfect. I find myself aiming myself to the computer now when i have an idea that I want to explore. Sketchbook is dam near indespensible, far smaller and more useful than the other "natural media" apps I've used, and its real time. Painter always had a lag to it, not sketchbook. the border of the tablet is big, but i don't mind it, it just makes me move my keyboard alot (sounds like an excuse to get a wireless if you ask me) and while some people I know hate the new keys embedded in the sides, I kinda like em.

as for tablets and 3d? I can't seem to work like that. I use a logitec mouse with the usbOverdrive mouse driver, and I have it configured to use all the buttons. while I tried to use the tablet in 3d I found my fingers unconsciously trying to hit mouse buttons that weren't available, so the tablet actually slowed me down.

trison
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I only use a tablet on my work and home machines and once you get used to it, I find it feels more natural than a mouse for everything. The only problem I'm haveing with it is the top rocker switch is set to double click and it doens't do it in LW.