PDA

View Full Version : HDV Editing on same PC with VT3

alexxi
01-26-2005, 04:45 AM
I noticed that some people are using the FX1.
How do you handle it with HDV?
Which Editing solution do you recommend?
Can I have another Editing application on the same machine together with VT3, without having troubles?

alexx

Ivan
01-26-2005, 05:52 AM
The one person that I know that is editing HDV right now is using FCPHD on the Mac. I do have a client that has been looking into putting a Pinnacle HD system on the same machine as his VT and he said that according to all the techs that he's talked with the two should work fine on the same machine. I am a bit skeptical but I will let you know in a couple of months when iit is done and tested.

Ivan

Jim_C
01-26-2005, 06:05 AM
Create a dual XP boot with 2 partitions. Then the machine can share whatever 2 platforms you choose and they will never even know the other exists.

Just a thought.

radams
01-26-2005, 06:29 AM
FYI,

I have worked with Ppro and Edius on the same VT based systems...
You can use them for editing with HDV...thru firewire...

Or even Sony Vegas...

But as for Pinnacle...at this time they do NOT support the Sony FX streams...they say it will be at least several more months before they have a fix...

Now I have a friend who also works with HDV and uses the canopus Edius and one of their cards in another system and loves it...thou it is limited to only 8 bit color depth.

There will be more available come NAB around april/may...so if you are not in a hurry I'ld wait for a couple more months...

Now you can always work with the Sony camera in SD mode....just not in HDV Direct mode with VT....you could even shoot in HDV and with the realtime downconversion thru the camera's firewire bring it into VT as SD material...

Just a couple of thoughts ;)

Cheers,

cholo
01-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Why not get a 2nd system for your hdv editing needs? A 2nd systems always has the advantage of expanding your editing capacity by having 2 people editing simultaneously, or working on different tasks for the same project. It also means twice the power for animation rendering or compositing :) But having 2 video editing cards like the pinnacle HD and a toaster on one machine doesn't really make sense to me, it's like having a car with a spare engine in the trunk ;)

ScorpioProd
01-28-2005, 11:26 AM
I'd recommend waiting for NAB for an HDV editing system.

Until then, you could always shoot some really high quality 16:9 SD.

That's what I'll be doing initially with my Z1.

Original1
01-28-2005, 12:09 PM
I'd recommend waiting for NAB for an HDV editing system.

Until then, you could always shoot some really high quality 16:9 SD.

That's what I'll be doing initially with my Z1.

Do you know something we dont?

Jim_C
01-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Eugene knows a lot of stuff we don't.

;)

sbrandt
01-30-2005, 08:03 PM
In fact, think of anything you don't know...

...he knows it!

ScorpioProd
01-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Well, even if I assume that I don't know everything, here's how I break it down, based on my needs, first for acquisition, then for editing:

1) HDV is the only affordable HD solution likely in the near future, as in for a couple years.

2) Sony has already introduced their salvo in the HDV war, with a consumer model and a prosumer model.

3) With these new models, specifically the prosumer one coming out next month, there's NO WAY they'll have any newer small HDV camcorders at NAB in April.

4) My Sony sources say that there's no large tape HDV coming at NAB.

5) There is widespread belief that XDCAM will have a non-HDV HD format coming at NAB, probably consisting of a 50 or 80Mb/s MPEG-2 codec.

6) This will probably cost a lot more than the DVCAM-only XDCAM that I could afford if I really needed to. And it probably won't be in the real world real soon.

7) So, since I really need a small camcorder to replace my failed VX-1000, and since the Z1 can do HDV, DVCAM and DV, and supports 16:9 natively, it's the obvious choice for me now, and there's NO reason to wait for NAB for a small camera.

As for editing:

1) Almost every company has or has announced HDV support. But it's hard to edit with announcements.

2) This will become a lot clearer at this year's NAB, and any company that's in the editing business will have to be supporting HDV or they don't want to be in that business.

3) Most of my work for this year, even with the Z1, will probably be in SD, which my VT[4]SP1 can handle nicely, including 16:9.

4) Consumer deliverable HDV is still going to be rather difficult for this year.

5) Therefore, there is good reason to wait for NAB to decide on a HDV editing soluiton.

matt gaughan
02-16-2005, 06:24 PM
I have been working with a Premiere Pro 1.5 plugin which captures and edits HDV from the FX1/Z1U. The limit right now is that you cannot export back to the camera until Adobe releases the plugin integration in their next update (which will probably in the next few weeks). I run this on the same system as my VT without any problems.

The software is called Aspect HD. It is made by CineForm. You can check it out at http://www.cineform.com

The plugin is $475 and with PPro1.5, Audition, and Encore it is $775. If you would like to purchase, you can email me at:

[email protected]