PDA

View Full Version : using Lightwave from one machine to another

Caveboy
01-25-2005, 11:48 PM
I have a license for LW8 and would like to use it (sometimes) on an iMac, when access to my main Mac is limited.

Can I move the license key between the two machines?

Thanks in advance.

Exper
01-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Yes for sure!

You can install LW in another machine, then copy the license.key into LW's "Programs" directory.
LW will remain tied to your own dongle. ;)

BeeVee
01-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Not only that, but you can install it on as many Macs as you have access to, copy the license.key to each of them and they all become fully working LightWaves when you have the dongle plugged into their ports. What's more, if you wish to sully your hands on a PC, then you can do the same there. LightWave comes with both flavours on the program disc and it's a simple case of reregistering your dongle for PC use and you can have both platforms for the same licence cost.

B

kopperdrake
01-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Ah...on a similar note, I have Lightwave installed on one machine with the drives mapped like this:

Z:Lightwave_7.0
X:Renders
Y:Content

These drives are all shared over the network so I can run screamernet with no problems.

Now...I want to migrate LW to a new main PC, but thought I may be able to run it from the original PC using shortcuts and making sure I had the drives mapped accordingly. However, I can start up LW with no problems but I seem to lose my additional config entries (FPrime, plugins etc), although everything is pointing at Z as the main directory in the cfg files.

Any ideas? Do plugins have to be copied across for some reason?

Dunk

BeeVee
01-26-2005, 04:26 AM
They don't but check you are using network paths for your plug-ins - when you do a Scan Directory, make sure you go through Z: rather than a local directory. You can check by looking at your LWExt3.cfg file - it's just text...

B

kopperdrake
01-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Yep - that's what's confusing me, they're all pointing at Z, though they use that weird notation of double // all the time ie:

{ Entry
Class "LayoutGeneric
Name "FPrime"
Module "Z:\\Lightwave_3D_7.0\\plugins\\utility\\fprime.p"
}

I've rescanned all of the plugins whilst running it from the old PC and that seems to have fixed it. They seem to hang around when I close LW and reopen it so not sure what's happening, it all looks the same.

I'm a happy bunny anyway, seems to be all there :) Cool - I seem to have a Lightwave server :D

Cheers!

BeeVee
01-26-2005, 05:21 AM
I know several people that have one installation of LightWave on a server and several machines using it. It's a good way of working...

B

Caveboy
01-26-2005, 06:16 PM
I didn't realize it was so simple.

For some reason, I thought it was more complicated than that. I thought it was tied to the processor id or something.

Cool. I love this program!

BeeVee
01-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Something even funkier... You can put all your license.key numbers into one file, which means that if you have several licences of LightWave, you don't have to worry which dongle is for which machine, etc. You can just put a license.key file on each with *all* the permanent license.key numbers in it, and LightWave will look through the list to find the correct license.key that pertains to the copy you are using.

B

kopperdrake
01-27-2005, 02:11 AM
You ain't the only one :D

As a side-note, I have a client who also takes on 3D work to do himself, though he uses 3D Studio Max, and he keeps trying to get me to switch to Max as that's his pipeline these days. After several attempts at telling him that I'd experienced Max in the past and that it wasn't for me, he just kept plugging it. I snapped and made it very clear that I would rather throw in the 3D towel and become a goat-herder than have to use Max day after day...the poor chap finally got the message :D

I just love working with it, always have done :) And Newtek seem to be making very real headway with the development these days which is great to see :)

Dunk

taproot2
02-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Ok....I have my PC running LW, no problems. I have My G5 running no problems. Now, to get my laptop on board(g4 powerbook), can i get a more detailed path? What do I have to copy, where do I find it, where do I paste it ?. I have my Lap top updated to 8.2. Any helps?
Taproot2(A.K.A. Puzzle)

BeeVee
02-11-2005, 01:44 AM
You should have received an email with your Mac license.key that you kept, so you can copy the number out of there and paste it into the laptop LightWave by using the MakeLicense plug-in, which you can find in the Help menu. If you haven't got that email any longer, then look inside your main machine's LightWave:programs folder and copy the license.key file there to the same place on the laptop.

B

taproot2
02-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks BeeVee !
Taproot2(Puzzle)