PDA

View Full Version : Updated TMPGEnc V2 available!

mgrusin
01-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Sorry if this is old news, but I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the forums (or hearing from Pegasys :rolleyes: ) and I happened on it by accident.

I was checking some old "current version" links like I do every 6 months or so, and wonder of wonders, there's an updated version of TMPGEnc Plus V2 available, 2.524 (2.524.63.181), dated December 16 2004!

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tp_rireki.html

I'm still downloading it, here is their list of changes:

Specification Changes

[1] The formats for the project file and the template file have been changed. Therefore, project created with the new version cannot be used with older versions.
[2] [Project wizard (Step 4/5)]: in the media pull-down selection, DVD 8.5 GB (Double Layer) has been added, for the bitrate setting and size graph.
[3] In the MPEG system multiplexer, the max. bitrate is written instead of the average bitrate for the multiplexing rate. It shortens the outputting process.
[4] [MPEG Setting - GOP structure]: Even if Closed GOP is not selected, the GOP structure is now compliant with the MPEG standard.
[5] Created MPEG-2: the sequence display extension value in the header is now DVD compliant.

Image Quality

[1] Image quality for MPEG-1 with long-GOP, has been improved.
[2] Encoding of scenes using still-image, has been improved.

Decoding

[1] Decoding process of MPEG-video is faster.
[2] CRI Sofdec MPEG Decoder can read WAVE files (48 / 96 khz, 16 / 20 bit, 1 / 2 ch).

Fixed

[1] Errors related with encoding using multi-thread.
[2] The encoding of MPEGs with GOP structure using only I and B pictures, has been improved.
[3] [MPEG Setting - Video]: The Aspect ratio 2.21:1 for MPEG-2, was set to 2.11:1 .
[4] [Output to file - AVI file / WAVE file]: when clicking the Cancel button in the [Sound Selection] dialog, the dialog was shown again.
[5] [MPEG Setting - Quantize matrix]: if saving an existing template under a new name, it could not be deleted.
[6] [MPEG Setting - Quantize matrix]: if saving a template under no name, memory access violations occurred.
[7] When reading empty files (zero data), it could take a very long time to show the error message.
[8] MPEG source files with invalid data could sometime, make the encoding process freeze.
[9] AVI files created with TMPGEnc, when played with Windows Media Player could stop in the middle, with the message "Invalid file".
I'm happy to see a new version of 2 (more like surprised, I thought they had pretty much moved on to 3), but I'm not encouraged by the first item (I have a bunch of templates and some large batch files which would be a pain to redo).

Post your experiences.

-MG.

ScorpioProd
01-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Yup, been using it for a month, it's fine.

And good news for you, they only mean NEW templates aren't backward compatible, old ones load and work just fine, I've used my old ones.

tmon
01-25-2005, 11:41 PM
TMPGEnc ROCKS!

mgrusin
01-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Cool, thanks Eugene!

Agreed, Taiji :D

-MG

ScorpioProd
01-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Though I gotta tell ya, I've been doing some encoding with newer codecs, and WOW do they rock...

DVD quality WMV 9 at 2Mb/s 2-pass VBR... WOW.

The world will be interesting with HD compression in MPEG-2, VC-1 (Windows Media Video 9), and AVC (H.264) [also known as MPEG-4 Part 10].

The future is quite exciting! :)

And really, if it wasn't for money hungry hardware manufacturers, these new codecs would allow full HD on conventional DVDs. More space is nice, but with compression this good...

I still seen an interesting race developing... If Blu-ray and HD-DVD hardware isn't in consumer hands quick and in quanity, there may be enough new codec supporting conventional DVD players coming soon to make things interesting...

radams
01-26-2005, 02:38 AM
I agree with you in part Eugene...

The issue thou is that most DVD players don't support the new codecs...
So even thou you can compress the files effectively...the DVD players don't have the codec built in to decompress it...not many players at this time work with WME 9...thou the newer HD-DVD's do....

FOr my take on this...Even thou Sony and Panasonic etc...are pushing Blue-Ray...
Due to Blue-Ray NOT being able to play back normal Movie DVD's....Causes problems...I don't see Joe Public buying Blue ray because it has more storage...they want it to work with their older DVD collection...and to be work for HD along with being cheap....Except for the HD part...Blue ray isn't...
I personally see HD-DVD's which are already for sale both players and Disks taking over the market...

1) works with older DVD's
2) Support from Hollywood...(Only a few which align with Sony pictures supports blue ray)
3) Works with WME 9
4) Larger data space
5) cheaper
6) Faster delievery to public

So I see HD-DVD taking over the consumer market and Blue_Ray taking over the professional market...just like BetaCam did...Since those are the ONLY choices being offered to Professionals from Sony and Panasonic...

But that's my take on this ;)

Cheers,

ScorpioProd
01-26-2005, 04:37 AM
Well, but based on going into my local Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA, though it's true the majority of DVD players don't support the new codecs, SOME do, which is more than the HD-DVD players in these stores, which total none.

Randall Chesbro
02-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Could you guys tell me what to do here. If i convert a video using tempeg or an ext recorder and bring it into DWS do the menu thing and then finish. when setting up the burning what would it be set at? since its already converted.
I took a video off a dvd i made on a panasonice it was 2hr 10 min. useing the verable mode recording. when i brought it in to DWS it shows only 2 gigs needed in 1 hr mode.? like i said if its already converted is there a difrent way of doing this.?

thanks randyc.

ScorpioProd
02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
For every video and audio clip you bring into DVD WS 2, you will see a little checkbox that if checked tells it to "Convert complient video/audio." If you don't check the box, it won't recompress the clip as long as it is DVD legal.

For instance, for the way I use it, sending all my video and audio through TMPGEnc first, generating a m2v MPEG-2 video clip and a wav audio clip, I drop them into DVD WS 2 and only check the "convert" box for the audio, using a template I have set up for 192kb/s AC-3 audio. The video settings on the template don't matter, since I'm not using them to convert the video.

Randall Chesbro
02-06-2005, 06:28 AM
thanks that helps. now i just found that after anilizing and all it said the disk was not big enough. File was 3.9g and disk was 4.4g whats up with that?

ScorpioProd
02-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Ah, assuming you're not talking about base2 Gig versus base10 Gig...

How long is your video and what is the data rate?

You might want to burn it to an ISO file and see how big that actually is, since that is the exact size that the DVD would be.

Randall Chesbro
02-07-2005, 08:18 AM
the video is 2hr10min.
do you have a sugestion for 2.5 hr video using tempeg? and are all =and-dvds 4.4gig

ScorpioProd
02-07-2005, 12:41 PM
What data rate did YOU use???

Randall Chesbro
02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
vbr4500 5500 4000 that came out to 4.15 gig 1.13gig wave file
when its in dvdws its 4.3gigs with just the audio template on 2hr 10 min.

i have a2hr30min version i have to do also if you have something close to that i can foolaround alittle. it just take sooo long to render out just to find your over the limit.

thanks for the help.
randyc.

ScorpioProd
02-07-2005, 04:52 PM
vbr4500 5500 4000 that came out to 4.15 gig 1.13gig wave file
when its in dvdws its 4.3gigs with just the audio template on 2hr 10 min.

i have a2hr30min version i have to do also if you have something close to that i can foolaround alittle. it just take sooo long to render out just to find your over the limit.

thanks for the help.
randyc.

Yikes, I'd say you pushed it too close to the limit. I mean, I push it close to the limit, but not THAT close. Remember, you have to leave room for the "authoring", stuff like the menus and such. How "fancy" are your menus?

Again, just take the few minutes and have DVD WS make an ISO file, then you'll see the TRUE size.

For the 2 hr 10 min, I would use 2-pass VBR 4400 6600 2000. I assume you are making the AC-3 audio 192kb/s in DVD WS 2, correct?

For 2 hr 30 min, I would use 2-pass VBR 3750 5650 2000. Again, this will only fit with AC-3 at 192kb/s. You might also want to throw in "soften block noise" of 35 on that.

Realize, at 2.5 hours, depending on your content, you are really pushing the limits of acceptable quality.

tmon
03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey, did you guys do an unistall of the previous TMPGEnc install and then reinstall
the new verion (TMPGEnc-2.524.63.181-Plus-EN-Installer-DL.exe ) fresh?

I just ran what I thought was an updater executable (the above, choosing "Modify"), and that seemed to go OK, but if I then open TMPGEnc, it still shows it as being Version 2.511.51.160......

Just curious.

mgrusin
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
That looks like the same file name I used, but my about says 2.254.63.181.

I believe I just installed it over the previous installation (there were a few files available for download, I grabbed the "upgrade" version).

Try installing again and see if it fixes it (like the old "computer scientist" joke ;) ).

-MG.

ScorpioProd
03-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Older versions of TMPGEnc didn't use a "true" installer, so you could just delete the directory, it didn't use any registery entries.

Newer versions do a true install. For those you would use the control panel unistall function.

I'm not sure which exact one the change happened with. But if it's not in add/remove programs, it's safe to just delete the folder by hand.

tmon
03-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I ended up just saving my templates, deleting the old directory and installing the new version. Didn't have to re-enter my liscense code.

TMPGEncoder is the ****E!!!! :D

tmon
03-04-2005, 03:09 PM
OK, I stepped overboard on the last comment. It was a non-word to mimick another real one, ending in "-it."

:cool: