PDA

View Full Version : using imageworld for backgrounds?

3dgirl
01-25-2005, 03:33 PM
i was wondering if you can get a good backdrop for your animation using image world? In the past when i needed a background, i would usually map an image onto a cylinder (always find this quite a pain to get right). But I heard you could use imageworld instead? However when i try this, my image always looks super-enlarged & stretched and at the ends it merges into a point and looks terrible!

byte_fx
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
The enlarging, stretching and pointy ends are becuase the image is being wrapped around a virtual sphere.

Using large - actually huge - images in the 6000x6000 pixel range will help. Note the image should be square dimensions - otherwise the short side will be stretched out.

Just scaling an image up doesn't seem to help as most programs wil induce a blur effect in the process. So you need really high res digitally mastered originals. Don't know of any cameras - except possibly a top of the line Hasselhlad - that has that ability.

Ideally the image's data should be circular ala an hdr probe.

On the otherhand - a litle bit of background blurring from Imageworld equals instant photo real by inducing some depth of field at no render time cost.

If you're creating the backgroind in a 2d or 3d program take the above into account.

byte_fx

SplineGod
01-27-2005, 09:18 PM
I think youre talking about Textured Environment. Image World is usually used for loading in Light Probes (HDRI) for image based lighting or for HDRI reflections.

Textured Environment is the plugin youre talking about I think. I did a quick sky with it in this pic.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/personal/bird.jpg