PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 most handy plugins.

-NG-
01-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Well since i'm fairly new to lw, and offcourse want to benefit off al those great plugins out there, why don't you post your top 10 most favorite LW plugins here:)

(at best with links so whe can check them all out :p )

(EDIT) Why don't whe make this the big old pluggy reference list ;) (EDIT)

badllarma
01-25-2005, 03:45 PM
HD Instance
FPrime
top of my list :D

Dodgy
01-25-2005, 04:22 PM
HDinstance +fprime too :)

IFW textures are really good, hundreds of textures including some very useful special shaders.

Mimic for LW, or if you can't afford it, Lipsync :)

Normal displacement ( the quick one :)

Unreal extreme for edge line effects...

Waterpool, for deforming HV's like drips...

Jettobevel for modelling.

MGwizzywig (quick plug!) for making wigs for saslite/sasquatch.

Clonez2.

c4 for blowing things up :)

chikega
01-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Does messiah:animate count? ;)

hrgiger
01-25-2005, 04:49 PM
FPrime

Jettobevel

UVImaginator

Delete Map (a real time saver)

FI's wrinkle

cresshead
01-25-2005, 05:06 PM
f prime
mimic
point oven [when the xsi capable version comes out it'll make my day!...err week!!]
3dsmax 4 & character studio..well..i use it as a plugin for lightwave!
ifw textures
hypergrover
thicken
unrealshader
sasquatch
proton!....he shold be permenantly plugged into lightwave for all wavers to get help and cooooool demos from!

nemac4
01-25-2005, 05:31 PM
1) fprime
2) keytrak
3) xdof2
4) G2
5) Fi's Wrinkle
6) HD's Edge FX
7) Bevel ++
8) HD's PumpIt
9) Vertibevel
10) Ikeda's Kung Fu tools

I would have put Rounder and Ortho plugs in the list but they were added to lw8.

lede
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
f prime
proton!....he shold be permenantly plugged into lightwave for all wavers to get help and cooooool demos from!

Yeah I have to agree with cress on this one! There should be a Proton button on the interface that opens his video tutorials.

And real one I use every day when I open Lightwave:

fprime - worley.com
JettoBevel - free
MagicBevel - Gota love this free one
UVImaginator - free

A good place to look for plugins is www.flay.com they have just about everything ever made for Lightwave.

-Lee

CB_3D
01-25-2005, 10:28 PM
I´ll cover modeler only for now

-mirror tools
-taut
-clonez
-rounder (comes with LW, but since it´s new;-)
-translate plus
-all free daz modeler tools,good stuff
-edge tools

Rory_L
01-25-2005, 11:02 PM
You`re trying to torture us: only ten plugins??? How do we choose? Ah well, here`s some of my faves, in no particular order:-

Meshpaint for cloning, modeling, hair guide styling,

Z-Brush (well, I look on it as a LW plugin and it doesn`t cost any more than some Worley Labs ones :D ). Use it for texturing, removing texture seams, normal- and displacement map making,

FI`s Wrinkle, not just for wrinkles, but for adding mesh detail. Nice thing is that it adds UV space for the new polys in your existing UV maps,

UV to Morph Map/Morph Map to UV. Invaluable for UV editing in normal 3D space,

UV Edit Pro, (free gift from Newtek, thanks). Might not spring for it now though, now that 8.2`s UV editing`s so improved,

Keyreducer. Beats LW`s native reduce keys hands down, with very intelligent sampling and channel curve peaks protection,

MG Spring, for all things wobbly. Fast and light, with no calculation time required,

Match Goal Orientation. Better than the LW native one as its info keyframe bakes properly,

RB Parenting, for dynamic parenting,

A_Velvet shader, for that soft fuzzy look. Helps on skin too!

Ask me next week and I`ll probably have changed my mind!

Cheers,

R

pat-lek
01-26-2005, 01:42 AM
I don' t have many plug-in but, i love these

Thickener (free) (Mac/PC)
http://www.blochi.com/gfx/thickener_en.html

Tree générator and leaves générator (commercial) (Mac/pc)
http://www.polas.net/plugins/index.php

adhesiveX
01-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Hey cresshead how do you use 3ds max 4 and character studio as a plug in for lightwave-just curious to know.

jeanphi
01-26-2005, 12:52 PM
For Layout:

Key Track.
PitchCorrection.
CopyKey-CutKey-PastKey-MirrorXPastAllKey-MirrorXPastRotKey-MirrorXPastPosKey.
KeyStrainer.
*KeyFramer.
Custom_DrawMotionPath.
GridZoom.
picky.

For Modeler:

Bevel++.
QuadSkin.
M_TrigonsX.
VertexPaint.
FIsClrZPinVMaps.
pfit.
Nut.
spclonele.
relaxUV.
Rekniter.
*UVEdit.

*shiped with LW.

cresshead
01-26-2005, 03:47 PM
going slightly off topic but not by much i hope....

what plugin do people prefer to make fillets between two components such as you'd see/use with a nurbs fillete in max/maya/xsi but for lightwave for instance between a spout and the body of a teapot or for internals of a engine block/crankcase as an example model?...would like some dialable plugin with visual feedback...

steve g

lesterfoster
01-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I like this thread. I hope others take part in this thread. My favorite one is “NormJ's“ Rope plug-in :)

cathuria
01-27-2005, 07:58 AM
FPrime
Bevel++
KO_Pointfit
Pavel Olas' Tree, Leaf, etc. generators
IFW textures and/or VisualTexture
UVImaginator

and I just tried out the new Rope beta... yup, that goes on my list of must-haves right now.

-NG-
01-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Well it seems like Fprime is popular :) So does it really makes viper absolete? I'll make sure to check Fprime out one day.

Keep the pluggies coming :D

lede
01-27-2005, 08:35 AM
NG, Yeah F-Prime is a popular one but VIPER is still very usefull when your working with HyperVoxels. Also there is still a lot of limitation in F-Prime that mabie the next release will address but for now it is a really good previs render engine. It trully make texturing fun because of the quick feedback you get from changing settings. But don't rely on those renders completely, you'll get burned in the long run.

-Lee

JML
01-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Fprime
HDinstance
realflow (don't have it but it looks good)
(full) sasquatch (don't have it but it looks good)

gjjackson
01-27-2005, 12:17 PM
The same as many others

FPrime - most defintely. Top of the list
HDInstance
Amelie
Eki's Plug/Modpak
IFW Textures
JJ's One Touch Editors
OgoTaiki, Hikari
Steve Hurley's 3pt and 4pt light setup - Good starting point
Sasquatch

Dodgy
01-27-2005, 01:02 PM
The same as many others
JJ's One Touch Editors

These you don't need as much since you can multiselect objects and lights and alter most of their attributes in their own properties panels (though not all, so you'll have to do a comparison to check :) )

-NG-
01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
These you don't need as much since you can multiselect objects and lights and alter most of their attributes in their own properties panels (though not all, so you'll have to do a comparison to check :) )

And whe have the scene editor and spreadsheet for that :p

prospector
01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
and spreadsheet for that

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the spreadsheet?????????
I have yet gotten it to run consistantly since it came out.
Sometimes it does and others not.
There isn't any pattern to trace problems that I can see popping up.

I've tried with full scenes..nothing in scene but spreadsheet..deleted cfg files and tried.
It crashes when I blink or not, drink coffee or not,plead with it or not,as soon as it's started or sometimes runs for a bit then crashes, and once in a blue moon it will stay running whole session,running same scene that other times it crashes.

It's got a mind of it's own, but it needs to have it's mind reprogrammed to get with the program.

3DBob
01-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Love the spreadsheet - use it frequently - was a little confused with the new multi select thing - but it makes sense - you can quickly toggle/change single parameters now without that pop-up coming up every time.

3DBob

3DBob
01-27-2005, 06:06 PM
FPrime - come on Worley bring out the update I dare you!
Vertibevel
Sasquatch
Mimic
G2
ZBrush 2 (sculpting and painting)
PMG Messiah Studio (character and cloth)
Polk
Taft
KO_Polyfit

3DBob

digefxgrp
01-27-2005, 09:21 PM
LWCad has quickly moved into my "Top-Three" list for Modeler.

Craig Paup
DEG

-NG-
01-28-2005, 06:07 PM
There's one plug that's gonna be my favorite.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=191027 :)

lreyes
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM
How can I put thicken plug-in, in windows 7 64 bit. I had it in my old computer XP , but windows 7 in LW does not seem to reconize it. Unless I need another copy of it for 64 bit?

nickdigital
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
How can I put thicken plug-in, in windows 7 64 bit. I had it in my old computer XP , but windows 7 in LW does not seem to reconize it. Unless I need another copy of it for 64 bit?

Were you using the 32 bit version on XP? If the file is a .p file then you need the 64 bit version to use in 64 bit LW.

mikala
02-02-2011, 12:12 AM
EXRTrader and LWCad.

scratch33
02-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Lwcad

Tartiflette
02-02-2011, 02:54 AM
All Dpont plugins, they are all very useful, and they are free, although a donation is more than welcome, i'm sure, as those plugins are a god send.

Thanks again to Denis for creating so useful plugins, and also for his kindness.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

colkai
02-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Heh, talk about resurrecting an old thread :p

speismonqui
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
this threat jumped from 2005 to today, not much have changed the last 5 years
...even with VPR I think FPrime is one of the best things that ever happened to CGI.
well, modo and blender are great "plugins" for today's LW dont you think? :)

colkai
02-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Actually, not much long after I replied I thought that myself.
Though that in itself is pretty sad really, LWCAD remains the must have tool to bring even LW10 modeller into the year 2000. :p
(Yep, I know it's 2011 ;) )

Danner
02-03-2011, 03:10 AM
I find it amazing nobody mentioned my number 2 and 3 favorite pluggins.

1. Fprime (to select surfaces in layout)

2. ef PickSurface free (to select surfaces in modeler) http://people.dsv.su.se/~dan-dulb/evenflow3d/lwpluginsandscripts.php

3. qemLOSS free (to reduce polycount while preserving UVs) http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html

4. Sasquatch

lardbros
02-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Great thread... love these! Just learned about UVImaginator... :) Great tool!

My fave:

1.) PLG UV Tool Kit... (not seen anyone else mention this, does anyone still use it?)
2.) LW CAD
3.) Denis Pontonnier's plugins... you NEED all of them!
4.) C4 and CrackIt... although pretty sure C4 didn't work in LW10 the last time I tried... has this changed?

I'll add more when I think of them! :)

speismonqui
02-03-2011, 08:20 AM
you are right with your #1 Lardbros, actually its kind of sad. After all this years, LW still lacks decent built-in UV tools, if it wasnt for PLG I dont know where we'll be. Now we'll have to wait a couple of years for Core to have similar UVtools than modo's :)

FPRIME LWCAD PLG UV
and the others.

jasonwestmas
02-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Move Plus is amazing to me because I can't imagine how else I can thicken an object along the normals in modeler. Not that I use this a lot but once in a while I really need it.

probiner
02-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Move Plus is amazing to me because I can't imagine how else I can thicken an object along the normals in modeler. Not that I use this a lot but once in a while I really need it.
If you use it to ticken, i suspect you use "Extender", so whats the difference between Move Plus right mouse click and Multishift?

3DBob
02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
FPRIME

LWCAD

TRUEART MODPACK

3DCoat

PMG

- btw if you want a cheaper alternative to FPrime to pick surfaces - you can use

SurfacePicker (http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SurfacePicker)

which is part of Truearts modpack.

3DBob

jasonwestmas
02-03-2011, 11:32 AM
If you use it to ticken, i suspect you use "Extender", so whats the difference between Move Plus right mouse click and Multishift?

Smooth Shift is close to "extender plus w/ move plus" but doesn't always work (Seems to not like curvy edge flow/normals). Multi shift is more like bevel but has more control potential. Could be that there are some toggle keys that I'm just not aware of.

probiner
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I was considering Multishift with "Group Polygons" ticked, did you compared with that?
I think it will give you the same result than Move Plus if you use "Contour" in the Shift Input. While you can also choose other inputs.

Matt
02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Awwwww, none of my little scripts made anyones list :(

(Goes off to a corner to cry)

;)

probiner
02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I use the "Run Modeler Plugin" every day mate =)

lardbros
02-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Awwwww, none of my little scripts made anyones list :(

(Goes off to a corner to cry)

;)

Well, they were at number 11 in mine, so they only just missed out ;)

jasonwestmas
02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I was considering Multishift with "Group Polygons" ticked, did you compared with that?
I think it will give you the same result than Move Plus if you use "Contour" in the Shift Input. While you can also choose other inputs.

Yes, Contour2 does the trick, awesome! I totally forgot there were options in the numeric panel.

Matt
02-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I use the "Run Modeler Plugin" every day mate =)

Yay! :)

(Comes back from corner wiping tears from his eyes)

:D

Exception
02-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Nice old thread!

Let's look at 2011's picks:

- DP Sunsky (My mosted used 3rd party plugin by a margin of 10 to 1)
- DP Instance / HD Instance (couldn't live without it)
- Kray. Just brilliant.
- Mike Green's Real Time Julienne, Lattice Split, Inverse Bridge. Essential modeling tools.
- DB&W Shadermeister
- LWCAD
- DP Lights
- FamilyClone
- PLG's UV tools
- Accutrans 3D, for all conversion needs
- QemLoss & MergeTrigonsX
- AS_Split. Tiny change in operation for the split command, saves huge amounts of time when added up.
- AreaVol. Calculates area and volume of objects. Super handy.
- "Save Scene&Objects". Should be the standard save option.

probiner
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
]Nice old thread!

Let's look at 2011's picks:

- DP Sunsky (My mosted used 3rd party plugin by a margin of 10 to 1)
- DP Instance / HD Instance (couldn't live without it)
- Kray. Just brilliant.
- Mike Green's Real Time Julienne, Lattice Split, Inverse Bridge. Essential modeling tools.
- DB&W Shadermeister
- LWCAD
- DP Lights
- FamilyClone
- PLG's UV tools
- Accutrans 3D, for all conversion needs
- QemLoss & MergeTrigonsX
- AS_Split. Tiny change in operation for the split command, saves huge amounts of time when added up.
- AreaVol. Calculates area and volume of objects. Super handy.
- "Save Scene&Objects". Should be the standard save option.

Nice, must try some of them.
Only ones i use alot from there is Area/Volume and PLG... And some i don't even know =) Thanks.

Some of those i use alot:
- Nitisara Copy/Paste UV | Reknitter (to make Bkg2Morph work) | UV To Morph (Solution for many stuff): Great UV and Modeling help.
- Weld Strip (Bridge just doesn't deliver many times, extended and use this for edge loops)
- Absolute Size for bounding box sizing (Matt cries "Treason!". I honestly only saw your 'Set Scale' today :P) | ume_2-2_Scale (Amazing to input 2 points distance and size/stretch an object to it): Makes sizing way more intuitive.
- cp_FastSetValue. A fast way to input some point X/Y/Z into others.
- Swift Edge Loop: METRIC!!!
- Cplane: Hello Oblique Modeling!
- Run Modeler Plugin: No more lost in menus or endless menu scrolls.
- Nomal Corrector | Janitor: Easy Cleanup plugins.

Cheers

Cageman
02-03-2011, 11:08 PM
- Janus
- exrTrader
- All the stuff DP puts out
- SmartMorph
- MF Motionbaker
- ef Make dynamic chain
+ a whole slew of scripts/plugins written on my request that might not be avaliable for the general masses just yet.

:)

jasonwestmas
02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Sadly I only found these recently

-TA Poseworks- incredible
-MF MotionBaker

OnlineRender
02-04-2011, 09:02 AM
MGBreak-UP by MikeGreen is my all time fav .
Jovian Colour picker
Splootchdog- Blender fluids import .

inakito
02-04-2011, 09:16 AM
HDinstance +fprime too :)

IFW textures are really good, hundreds of textures including some very useful special shaders.

Mimic for LW, or if you can't afford it, Lipsync :)

Normal displacement ( the quick one :)

Unreal extreme for edge line effects...

Waterpool, for deforming HV's like drips...

Jettobevel for modelling.

MGwizzywig (quick plug!) for making wigs for saslite/sasquatch.

Clonez2.

c4 for blowing things up :)

Never heard about waterpool and I did a search and could find anything... can anyone help me?

cagey5
02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Seems like it's now built in...

"Another addition to HV�s is the new HV-Deformer. HV-Deformer allows you to deform particles such as stretching or squashing them based on time or distance from an object or the interaction of an object. Basically this is the built in inclusion of the TuffLittleUnit�s Waterpool plugin. Probably the area where you�ll see it used the most is during the creation of water like interactions, say something like water falling onto and over an object."

The above quote was taken from this article..

http://www.cgfocus.com/review/story/130&page=9

jasonwestmas
02-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Seems like it's now built in...

"Another addition to HV�s is the new HV-Deformer. HV-Deformer allows you to deform particles such as stretching or squashing them based on time or distance from an object or the interaction of an object. Basically this is the built in inclusion of the TuffLittleUnit�s Waterpool plugin. Probably the area where you�ll see it used the most is during the creation of water like interactions, say something like water falling onto and over an object."

The above quote was taken from this article..

http://www.cgfocus.com/review/story/130&page=9

I think this thread is the new flay!

Is Tim going to do a review of LW10? I'm sure there is something in there that I'm not aware of, as usual ;D