PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 dynamics in action

Snosrap
01-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I just finished an animation for Spangler Candy Co. in Ohio. I was able to throw in some quick credits for my studio at the end. I wanted to use LW8's new dynamics and I think it turned out pretty decent. The character is the candy company's mascot, "Dum Dum Drum Man". Critiques welcomed.

Cheers Snosrap

Hoopti
01-25-2005, 07:20 AM
That did turn out pretty neat. I like.

Hoop

js33
01-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Where's the full animation? Or are you not allowed to show that?

Cheers,
JS

-NG-
01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
mmmmm i like candy :p Nice render there, where's the ani ;)

marlo.steed
01-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Nicely done. However, I do have a suggestion. First a story. Back when the network television stations were concerned with how kids learned they did some studies on how children learned from Sesamee Street animations. What they found is that kids were not focusing on the letters rather their attention was on the animated character. Thus they weren't learning their letters. As a result the producers of Sesamee Street reworked the animations and discoverd if the letters were part of the animated character then kids did recall the letters.

Now how does this story relate to your animation? ...I am thinking of just leaving it at that but just in case you missed the lesson, here is the moral of the story: Human attention tends to focus on the animated elements not on the still objects. If as you suggest, the purpose of this sequence is to give a spot about your company, the animated elements actually detract from the message you want to communicate. I found myself drawn to the animated letters rather than the name of your company - even on repeated viewing. I would recommend rethinking your animation so that the animated letters somehow spell out your company rather than the still ones. A subtle but important lesson.