PDA

View Full Version : Copy/Paste UV's ...Anyone?

TripD
01-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi all. On and off I have been toying with the copy/paste uv's tools in modeler. I have had some success, but not anything that I would call consistant. I have in the past been able to select the polys that are using one uv map and then select them again and paste the uv's into another map. However, there are often times when the resulting paste give a complete mess. Has it to do with point/poly order? I was going to wait until I can dl the PDF file for 8.0, but I just can't wait any longer. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Alan

Lewis
01-25-2005, 08:09 PM
I aslo didn't find out how to use that tool :(. I often wanted to copy/paste UVs from hi res model to low res to avoid streching in SubPatch models with UVs. But as you mentioned i aslo get screwed up UVs. Usually it's rotated and in wrong order so i didn't find right way to use that tool. But since 8.2 come out and we got Disortion free SubPatch UVs I'm happy and don't look back to my previous idea ;).

Sorry that my answer was not more helpfull but now you know you are not alone in not understanding UV copy/paste tool :).

jeanphi
01-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Here are things you must know about copy past UV.

*1* Vertex MUST BE UNWELD even in LW8.2!!! Those tools hasn't been updated for LW 8.2 like FlipUV and some others UV tools.

*2* Polygons you copy/past UV MUST have the same order point creation.

*3* Polygon selection have to be in the same order when you copy/past.

How to use the copy past:

*Select Texture UV Map.
*UNWELD
*Select polys you want to copy UV.
*Copy UV, this will clear your selection.
*Select polys you want to past UV and UNWELD.
*Select Texture UV Map where you want to past them.
*PastUV, this will clear your selection.
*Weld.

Tips->For the problem of the poly points order you can use "3DD-Mesh Reknitter"

http://www.flay.com/plugs/downloads/Rekniter.p

Tips->For the polygon order selection use the losso select (for large numbers of polys).
You can isolate part of your object in layers in order to easyly select them.

Tips-> If some UV are fliped or rotated, use UV flip per poly and/or UV rotate per poly.

Hope it will help.

TripD
01-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks Jeanphi!

I should have guessed that poly order was important. That does make it a lil more tedious to use but atleast I know why it sometimes goes wackydoodle.

ciao,

alan