PDA

View Full Version : DV Capture Audio off VT4 SP1

Terrence
01-24-2005, 12:35 PM
I have the weirdest problem capturing DV footage with the VT4.

Connect the camera via firewire, Select it in the deck control , select it in the capture control.
Now here is the problem
I get the Audio at Mickey mouse rate when importing DV 2 footage.
I heard their was a bug with DV1 and was told to use 2.

I also have problem with it dropping audio all together in the capture.

Everything looks fine while i am importing. I am watching it hearing it, But what i capture is not what i get?

After importing the footage multiple times i am able to capture, but this is a pain in the *****.

I work in DV format for now hoping to upgrade to VTHD5

Any thoughts?

Ivan
01-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I have experienced the same issues. I don't know why Newtek doesn't seem to be able to correct this. Every other DV App that I use seems to work fine and playback fine in VT so it is a capture problem and not a playback problem. One solution would be to capture using DVDWS. I have done some capture with it and audio seems to work fine in VT. With the issues that I have seen in Batch Capture and DV footage captured with VT it's not worth the time to try to Batch Capture because the odds are that it either won't work or there will be problems with the audio when it does.

There is a theory that the 1394 card makes a difference but really, if DVDWS can capture DV with no problems on the same card that I'm using for VT, I don't think the problem is with the card. Each upgrade this seems to be a "fixed" problem but it just isn't. I would maybe understand if all of the other programs had a problem but no other app on my VT machine creates a file that VT has a problem playing back.

Ivan

JonCrowe
01-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Yep, noticed the same problem too. Anyone have any ides on this one???

ScorpioProd
01-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Wow, that's weird...

Ironically, TYPE-2 DV capture finally works perfect for me as of SP1. A/V stays in sync, everything. Plus the new autoconforming feature makes everything quicker.

All I can suggest trying is be sure your DV source is connected and powered up before launching VT[4] and see if that fixes it.

Also you might want to look at the DV file properties in Windows and see if the audio sample rate matches what it was shot at.

wvp
01-25-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm reading a slew of VT4 issues & noticing that many of the posts are not very detailed.

So far VT4 SP1 seems to be working ok for me (knock on wood) but I'm thinking for those that are having issues it would be very helpful to pass on info about your computer (hard drives, video card, disk test settings, using latest graphic card updates, have you defragged lately?, cache settings, etc, etc).

It is also helpful to indicate when the problem started.

My point is that their seems to some people with little or no problem and others with some problem(s) but not others. It would appear that at least some of these issues are attibuted to either the way the computer is set up / components or the way the user is doing things.

In the interest of solving the issues the more info that can be provided to isolate how the problem occurs the better.

Ivan
01-25-2005, 01:59 PM
This is not a configuration problem. If it was, it would happen every time I tried to capture DV footage. The fact is that the first two hours that I captured went great. After that I had random problems. If this truly was a config problem I would not have been able to capture any footage without a problem. As for Defragging the drives, I have to admit that since VT2 I have not defragged my Video drives. It does not seem to have caused a performance issue with RTVs which require about 5 times the transfer rate of DV. If you think there is something I'm missing, please let me know. RTVs are fine. Other applications capture DV fine. No matter what my settings are, these two facts along with random success indicates that this is not a system or settings problem but a programming issue that is very hard to track down due to the fact that it cannot be easily reproduced.

Ivan

Terrence
01-25-2005, 09:18 PM
i have a dual xeon 3.0 1 gig of ram 4 drive 73 scis and a 1tb storage array.

I connect the DV camera via firewire and Capture; this happens to the best of my recollections when I start the capture process after capturing a few clips the problem goes away.

But the first time or first couple times i capture from a camera the audio is speeded up or not sinked.

I am doing the same thing i did with Vt3 nothing diferent, but i am getting diferent results.

Chrysolithos
02-25-2005, 06:55 PM
All I can suggest trying is be sure your DV source is connected and powered up before launching VT[4] and see if that fixes it.

Also you might want to look at the DV file properties in Windows and see if the audio sample rate matches what it was shot at.

I went back and checked my footage which was shot at 16 bit and it is fine. A friend shot the footage that I am now having sync problems with, and I don't know what he had his camera set to, 16 or 12. So maybe thats it. Perhaps if I capture it via y/c it will fix it

ScorpioProd
02-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Sadly, I have to suggest going back to Type-1 DV.

My Type-2 success was short lived! :(

stuart_tetley
03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I think I've been experiencing this same problem with VT3. I guess I was capturing Type 2, since I ended up with 2 AVIs - one with video, one with sound. When I loaded the video into VT-Edit, the sound came along too, but was running about (exactly?) 50% faster.

If I added the video twice, disabled the audio on one and the video on the other, then set the audio part to 66.66% speed, it came out about right, but it's not something I should have to do.

I guess using type 1 would solve this?

Chrysolithos
09-29-2005, 09:55 AM
(heavy sigh!)
I am capturing DV footage (Type 2) with a Sony DSR-11 via firewire to a dealer-built dual Xenon 3.6 gig with 2 gig ram and VT 4.5 installed directly from 4.5 cds. I am still having bad audio/video sync problems. What are the recommended workarounds? Should I just go back to using my Amiga Flyer?

:bangwall:

Reguarding below: NT25 is what my dealer recomended trying. I just wish I could avoid re-compressing my footage.... :compbeati

Ivan
09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Yup.

Actually using the new NT25 codec seems to work here but I am capturing via YC when I do this. It does look pretty good and mostly it stays in sync. I have noticed that it will lose sync if not recorded to my video array, ie. firewire drive.

Ivan

Terrence
09-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I import on my sony laptop via premier and then slide the files over to my fast drives on my editing box to edit in ted...............

I dont seam to have any sinc problems anymore.....

Hey by the Way WE NEED HD OR HDV Thanks :agree:

jport
09-29-2005, 09:18 PM
i remember having this problem with DV captures when i first got VT4 during it's initial release back in december '04.

there was a post by someone on troubleshooting some of VT4s bugs. something about setting the PCM priority to 1 in the multimedia control panel.

after doing that this sync problem hasn't cropped up again.

i don't know if it helps :stumped:

i'm still running w2k w/sp4

ScorpioProd
09-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Are you guys saying that Type-1 won't hold A/V sync for you, either?

Cause for me, it's only Type-2 captured via firewire in the VT that's the problem.

Type-2 from anywhere else, including rendered from the VT is fine.

The problem is apparently that the VT can't display and save to file the data for a Type-2 clip at the same time, for some reason, resulting in the A/V sync problem.

Ivan
09-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I think I've had trouble with both but I have not tried both since 4.5 becaue I had trouble before and saw no info listed as far as this being fixed.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do that."

:)

Ivan

Chrysolithos
09-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Are you guys saying that Type-1 won't hold A/V sync for you, either?

Cause for me, it's only Type-2 captured via firewire in the VT that's the problem.

Type-2 from anywhere else, including rendered from the VT is fine.

The problem is apparently that the VT can't display and save to file the data for a Type-2 clip at the same time, for some reason, resulting in the A/V sync problem.

I thought that we were not supposed to use DV type 1, for reasons that I can't remember right now...
I did try capturing dv via firewire using windows movie maker, saving it as an avi file. That seemed to work fine with no sync problems. So is an DV AVI file type 1 or 2? Or something else?

Jim_C
09-30-2005, 07:56 AM
DV AVI file type 1 or 2? Or something else?

With 2 you get Eggroll.

:chicken:

.....sorry couldn't resist

ScorpioProd
09-30-2005, 03:21 PM
If Type-1 DV didn't stay in sync for me, I would have permanently left the VT years ago. DV is my life.

Newtek isn't able to fix the Type-2 problem, and that is a bad thing, it's a shame, since the VT is the ONLY product out there with this Type-2 problem AFAIK.

Ivan
09-30-2005, 03:44 PM
To be fair, and I'm not sure what the problem was, but I saw a Firestore dirve demo and they had audio drift. They said it was the codec they chose but what kind of nightmare would that be if you spent that much on one of these and decided you didn't need to go to tape. Even if you went to tape I would really feel ripped off not being able to just connect the drive to my computer and edit. Just in case anyone thinks this was only a problem with them years ago, this was a post NAB demo this year.

Ivan

ScorpioProd
09-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I've lost faith in Focus Enhancements. I'm happy I didn't invest in their HDV solution that was supposed to be out in the beginning of summer, that one would have had to pay for in the Spring for the "deal."

It's nowhere in sight yet. And it's only recording data for crying out loud, it doesn't have to DO anything with the data. Pretty sad.