PDA

View Full Version : Flapping Banners

jaxtone
01-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi!

Got a problem!

Need to know how apply wind and gravity onto my flag banners.

The banners include bones and keyframes to fit the end and start over a loop on 750 frames. Is it still possible to apply motion designer FX to my banners? In that case, how?

The existing tutorials on the web says nada? Null! Nothing about this subject?

J

Dodgy
01-24-2005, 10:02 AM
You can apply motiondesigner. Just Apply the MDPlug after any other plugins you may have applied in the Displacement list, then edit the settings as normal.

jaxtone
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for a fast reply!

Theres a minor problem connected to the object I want to apply it to. I got this scene with a banner with a bone setup and some displacement maps already made so the natural way is of course to add MD last in that chain.

I recognized that my object were modeled in front view along the Z axis with its start point in the origo. I am not to familiar with MD but it seems like the only way to get the banner react to the wind simulator is... to place the banner with its midpoint in the origo in modeler. This is no option since the scene is already
set with very much info and keyframes to reconstruct until tomorrow when my deadline is.

However it might be ways to make the banner flap with my original zero point construction in modeler. The only problem is I am not that familiar with MD.

Its a pity there are no good tutorials that goes from basic knowledge in MD. The books that follows LW license doesnt say that much, but I must admit I hate tutorials in books.

J

Edbittner
01-26-2005, 03:40 AM
Now, I'm not sure, but this scene may be included in the classic content portion of your LW8 disc. If not, Proton has an excellent tut to get you started in MD.
E.
p.s.
There's something vaguely familiar about your avatar.

jaxtone
01-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi!

Well I had to use three different displacement maps just because I had to seam the loop together at frame 1 and 750, where it also had to meet up in a diagram position. The customer was a little bit picky in that matter and didnt really understand that a defined position in a loop with 2 banners in only 750 frames can be very annoying after 3 minutes only. Now this loop was supposed to run for at least 45 minutes so I must say the customer should have listened to my intention to bring them a much longer abstract loop with no fixed point in it.

Well the finished film with my composed sound score is on its way to Italy now and I hope the viewers dont vomit on stages and screens its supposed to be seen on.

About a familiar avatar image I dont know where you can have seen it, but I attended NAB in Las Vegas last year and I know I spoke to some nice ppl in the NEWTEK booth. Might have been there?

http://www.salmins.com/images/banner_still.jpg