PDA

View Full Version : VT4 Oddness

alphavideo
01-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey all

I have a bit of weirdness with the new VT4.

I have 3 live inputs. I can "Take" or "Auto" between them using keyboard as well as mouse and with the RS8.

The weirdness comes in when I click on 1,2, or 3 on the main bus WITH LIVE VIDEO on the preview bus.

I have live feeds into 1 - 2 - 3 on the SX8

Lets say that I have 2 (Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2 or 3) selected on the preview bus...
if I click on 3 on the main I get black, then I click on 1 on the main I get video, if I click on 2 on the main I get black, and finally back to 3, I get video.

Summary, when I have video on the preview bus selected,(Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2, or 3.) every other selection on the main is black.

If I have a graphic on the preview bus, I can select between the three just fine.
And as previously stated, I can switch fine using AUTO and TAKE.

The card has been sent into Newtek twice. The second time the BOB was sent in as well, and Newtek has found nothing wrong. Anyone else experience this?

JP

FEMA-HQTV
01-25-2005, 07:54 AM
We're having the same issue here... I'm going to be talking to NewTek today about another issue, so we'll see what they have to say.

Aaron

Jim Capillo
01-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Hey all

I have a bit of weirdness with the new VT4.

I have 3 live inputs. I can "Take" or "Auto" between them using keyboard as well as mouse and with the RS8.

The weirdness comes in when I click on 1,2, or 3 on the main bus WITH LIVE VIDEO on the preview bus.

I have live feeds into 1 - 2 - 3 on the SX8

Lets say that I have 2 (Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2 or 3) selected on the preview bus...
if I click on 3 on the main I get black, then I click on 1 on the main I get video, if I click on 2 on the main I get black, and finally back to 3, I get video.

Summary, when I have video on the preview bus selected,(Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2, or 3.) every other selection on the main is black.

Wow..... weird. Have you tried putting a deck on any of the inputs you now have a camera hooked up to? If so, does the channel function correctly on the preview bus then?

What are you using for cameras? CCU's ? What do they look like on the scopes? Legal video?

Video card and what rev are you using?

Have you done a "I messed up my config" reset and/or a complete uninstall/reinstall?

Did Newtek do the upgrade to the SX-8 when you sent it in? If so, did you have this problem from the very beginning?

alphavideo
01-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Doesn't matter what camera I use.
But I am currently using a Panasonic DVC-30.
I also had an XL2, and yes I have tried a deck. A JVC BR-DV600 to be exact.
The customer is using DVC-Pro Cams I believe.

The Video card is a GEforce FX5200.

I am not exactly sure what Newtek has done short of replacing the card. We did send the BOB in. all I got from Newtek at this point is that they could not replicate the issue.

Not slamming Newtek, just getting frustrated.

JP

Jim Capillo
01-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Is the deck doing the same thing as the cameras?

alphavideo
01-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Yes. The anamolie is consistent regardless of the source.

wftiv
01-25-2005, 10:37 AM
During a live production two weeks ago, I had the odd experience of using my newly installed VT[4] for the first time under live conditions. In addition to the CG causing repeated crashes, I could not "take" any video source on the program bus with any certainty that is would come up. If I put the camera or scan converter on the preview bus first and then used the "auto-take" no problem ever......1000's of switches. But forget once and hit a video source up on the program bus and you might just get black instead of the selected source. The quick solution was to take the camera/video source on the preview and "auto-take". All video sources were very stable Sony broadcast cameras with CCU's or Scan-Do scan converters. I do not have SP1 on the VT[4] yet, but have a feeling this is more a problem with VT[4] than SP1.

FEMA-HQTV
01-25-2005, 10:38 AM
No luck with NewTek... advice was to make sure XP SP2 is installed, DirectX 9.0c and to update the gfx drivers (NVidia Quadro FX 1100).

Can't seem to determine a pattern.... thought it might be a genlock issue for sync'ed vs. un-synced sources. No dice... seems just as unhappy either way. No rhyme or reason to which input or equipment.

Hmm...

EDIT: NewTek also said they have heard about this problem, but are not yet able to reproduce it... So we're not sure if it's HW or SW related...

A

Jim Capillo
01-25-2005, 10:39 AM
OK, how about reloading the software? I'm assuming you had VT[3], since you have the SX-8....... have you done a complete registry cleanout? (there are instructions here on the board - just do a search for regedit)

Since Newtek has effectively eliminated the hardware, I'm guessing that your problem is in the software. There might be file(s) left behind that are causing your problems.

Ivan
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Have you tried new cables?

Ivan

alphavideo
01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Yes.
As well as another sx 8 (Same build... 8.000000)

wftiv
01-25-2005, 02:59 PM
New cables and an ne SX-8....Hmmmmmm....let me see...Oh here they are in my extra VT[4] stuff box. First of all, the cables and the SX-8 are least likely items to fail. Considering the cables get very little physical movement, etc. and the SX-8 is bolted in a rack mount. I really don't see them as the issue. I am guessing it is software related and eventually the offending "bug" will be found and corrected...perhaps in SP1.5.

radams
01-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi All,

I would like to make a comment...

I have found more issues with cables and bad SX-8's that were brand new than with the VT4 cards....

But this is a real strange happenings...So there are three of you here not able to switch if you have 3 LIVE sources hooked to inputs 1, 2, 3...Have you tried moving them around?...what sources are they, composite, y/c, or component...are you genlocking the VT as well?

Are you working with NTSC or PAL?

Did you do Core updates that took okay? Since some are using VT3 cards?

I would strongly recommend that you update to SP1...since that also corrects some sync issues that were in VT4....

Do you also have firewire sources attached?

If so disconnect them and see if this continues...one person mentioned working with a scan converter...try with a more stable source...another camera if possible.

This sound like something to do with sync...but what it is I have little clue...
What graphics cards do you three have..and what drivers are you using?

Are you using Nvidia with or without Nview management...
Did you select to work with multiple screens or just one...

What are the MB's you are using?

I truely wish you all good luck in finding a positive resolution.

Cheers,

Paul Lara
01-25-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm going to be talking to NewTek today about another issue, so we'll see what they have to say.

I'm happy to report that NewTek is having a machine exhibiting these behaviors sent to us for analysis. Stay tuned.

wftiv
01-25-2005, 05:28 PM
But this is a real strange happenings...So there are three of you here not able to switch if you have 3 LIVE sources hooked to inputs 1, 2, 3...Have you tried moving them around?...what sources are they, composite, y/c, or component...are you genlocking the VT as well?

This "missing video on program" problem happens on various inputs at various times! We had imputs on six of the first eight composit imputs. #1 thru #3 were cameras (Sony DXC-D35's) #4 and #5 were scan converters (Scan-Do Pro) and #6 was a BetacamSP VTR (Sony UVW-1800). Anyone one at any time might come up missing if taken on the program bus, but never on the preview bus! The VT[4] is not genlocked but it does contain a genlock card.

Are you working with NTSC or PAL? NTSC only

Did you do Core updates that took okay? Since some are using VT3 cards?

I have not done any core updates since my VT[4] was just recently installed new by Video Hardware Systems. It was an upgrade to a VT[3], also installed and recently core updated.

I would strongly recommend that you update to SP1...since that also corrects some sync issues that were in VT4....

An update to SP1 is planned once I return to NJ and have a moment to install it. Presently on the West coast returning new week. More will follow after the SP1 installation.

Do you also have firewire sources attached?

No firewire sources are attached. Althought two external 250GB storage drives are on the USB bus.

If so disconnect them and see if this continues...one person mentioned working with a scan converter...try with a more stable source...another camera if possible.

The scan-converters used are broadcast standard scan converters (Scan-do Pro) and were genlocked. They appeared on an external waveform monitor/vectorscope as ROCK SOLID. Plus they were only on two of the inputs and some times they would come up and other times they would not....this only happens when punched directly on the program bus on the RX-8.

This sound like something to do with sync...but what it is I have little clue...
What graphics cards do you three have..and what drivers are you using?

The video card is Nvidia and all the settings were correct as coordinated with my dealer. I do believe that management was off and the desktop was spread over two monitors. I know there was something special we setup here so don't think it is the display settings.

Are you using Nvidia with or without Nview management...
Did you select to work with multiple screens or just one...

What are the MB's you are using?

I truely wish you all good luck in finding a positive resolution.

Cheers,

Thanks! I hope that Newtek will discover something when the look at the machine they have coming in for evaluation.

Pete Draves
01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
add madison media institute to the list with the problems
Pete

Dan Hong
01-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I have seen this problem. It was resolved by moving the VTCard one slot in either direction. I have had this happen on two different machines. Gigabyte mobos P4 with 800mhz fsb. Freaked me out for a couple of days. The two machines have been up and running for a couple of months.

JonCrowe
02-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Are you by chance using the new hardware with an "old" SX-8? If so, then I know the answer to your problem. The problem you describe will occur if you are using the old style audio cable, (15 pin to 2 mini stereo jacks). With the new hardware the audio needs to run on a 15pin to 15pin cable from the audio port on the SX-8 to the audio port on the VT daughtercard. The reason your video goes to black on every other input is because the 3rd channel of video runs on the new audio cable. If you are using the old audio cable you won't have the correct signal path.
These changes occured when the new hardware was developed. In fact, even if you have the SX-84, if the audio cable is disconnected the system will instantly show the same problem because the 3rd channel of video now runs on the audio cable.

rthomasson
02-14-2005, 11:57 AM
We have been having the same problems with VT4 card and software, old SX8. (no video signal when switching between sources directly on the "main" bus). Also getting quite a few crashes and considerable instability.

JonCrowe
02-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Are you using the old audio cable? If so, change to the 15pin to 15pin type cable and the swithcing problem will go away.

FEMA-HQTV
02-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Ahhh.... Okay...

Using the old SX-8... switched the VT-AUD 1,2 connection on the SX-8 to use a straight-thru 15-15 cable to the new Audio connector on the daughtercard instead of the mini-plug audio in/out... Seems to work fine now... Lucky I just happened to have a HD15-HD15 cable sitting around...

Excellent...

wftiv
02-14-2005, 02:12 PM
The 15 pin to 15 pin cable would connect what to what? There are two mini-plug connectors on the VT[4] card that now feed audio to the old SX-8. Would this be an internal connection of some kind? If so, I am not sure that my rack mounted VT[4] would have the space to do that internally. Could you give a bit more detail about the cable connection. Is the connector on the edge of the second VT[4]card for audio and does it carry all the audio for channel one and two as well as channel three and four.

If this truly is the correct fix, what does Newtek have to say about it?

Thanks for any comments.

Bill

JonCrowe
02-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Bill,

The 15pin to 15pin cable goes from the audio connector on the SX-8 to the audio connector on the VT daughtercard right next to the "control" connection. In fact, the daughtercard connections are labeled "control" and "audio".
And yes, Newtek probably needs to post this info somewhere, but as a dealer we have made sure all of our customers know about the correct hook-up.

JonCrowe
02-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes this is the correct fix according to Newtek, not just me. If you want to implement 4 channel audio using the new hardware with the old SX-8 you have to take a few more steps. First of all the VT5/control cable needs to have pins 12 and 15 removed. The 15pin to 15pin audio cable should be used with pin 11 removed. In order to get the rear inputs into the system you must connect the aux send of the SX-8 to the daughtercard audio input. The rear channel out can be monitored from the daughtercard audio output.
Remember these steps are required for 4 channel functionality while using the old SX-8. If you're not concerned with 4 channel audio you don't have to make these changes but you still need to use the 15pin to 15pin audio cable to avoid the switching problem mentioned earlier.
By the way, this information came to me from Kevin Rouviere in Newtek engineering.

wftiv
02-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the good info. I will get the 15-15 pin cable and hopefully solve any switching problems. At this point I am not doing the 4 channels of audio, but might in the future.

I do wonder why this information did not come out with the VT[4] upgrade. I am sure a lot of users did not buy the new SX-84.

I wonder if this "fix" will take care of the CG crashing the VT[4]. I am not sure there is a relationship, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks again,
Bill