PDA

View Full Version : QuickTime as a save as: or export as: option!

Patrick Flasch
04-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Wrapping everything in an AVI wrapper might be nice, but how about a direct save as... or export as... a .mov option from within VT.

Patrick

Tim Johnson
04-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Saving out as a Quicktime would be great. It'd be a quick way to get from TEd over to a Mac. The quick workaround is to render out and export via Aura, After Effects. DF, etc. It'd be nice to eliminate that step, though.

I think there are some licensing issues from Apple involved with this. If I remember right from the Trinity days, this was one reason they chose not to add it to their export list.

bbeanan
04-16-2003, 01:09 PM
I do not know much about how this works in the software world... but if you can render out QT from Aura which is part of VT2 (VT3) then is should be simple to render out at QT from TED... which is part of the same suite of software... or may be a plug-in which directlly ports a TED project to Aura for rendering??:confused:

Kurt_Henning
04-16-2003, 03:29 PM
There has been a QT saver in LW since version 5.0 or before.

So, the existence of a QT saver in the newtek line has existed. As stated above, a qt saver is part of aura, errr I mean TVpaint I guess.

Even after understanding all of this, the QT saver has been elusive and many users have requested this...............

I used to beg for a QT saver, but I just ended up switching software (I had to use QT for batch capture at that time).

I only use QT for clients who insist on it for delivery.

videoguy
04-16-2003, 05:14 PM
from what i gathered the reason there is no quicktime support in t2 is because quicktime handles video in RGB and toaster handles it in YUV only

camthecameraman
04-23-2003, 01:40 AM
I need this functionallity too.
So tell me more about the workaround, I havent used aura yet, is it fast for say 1 hour clips??

[email protected]

Original1
08-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Theres an even faster workaround than using Aura.

Use Lightwave or Lightwave Express as a file convertor.

Load the RTV sequence as a background

set the camera to correct size (D1 NTSC?)

Set the render mode to wireframe

set the render options to save animation chose quicktime
no compression.

turn off render display

hit f10

resulting conversion is approx .2 to .4 secs per frame

Its not perfect but its one way

SBowie
08-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Substantially faster still:

Save the VT-Edit project as an AVI (VT3 only, of course) in a single click, then do the conversion. You can use LW, as you have; or simply load the wrapped project (AVI) into in Aura with 'pre-load' turned off and Export as Quicktime. Slam, bam, thank you NewTek.

Original1
08-05-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by SBowie
Substantially faster still:

Save the VT-Edit project as an AVI (VT3 only, of course) in a single click, then do the conversion. You can use LW, as you have; or simply load the wrapped project (AVI) into in Aura with 'pre-load' turned off and Export as Quicktime. Slam, bam, thank you NewTek.

Not all of us have VT3 yet (it has'nt been released to us poor peons in Europe yet):D

but you could still load an RTV as a Red Layer in Aura and do it that way in VT2 right?

SBowie
08-05-2003, 06:12 AM
Sure - the advantage in VT[3] is that there's no need to take the time to render the entire project out as an RTV first. The AVI wrapper takes a single click to perform, and is effectively instant.

But of course you're right, a rendered RTV can be converted in Aura without pre-loading as well (as you mentoned earlier).

Original1
08-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Hmm sounds like AVI wrapper is worth the upgrade alone in terms of speed of workflow.

I must admit to being slightly worried about the future of Aura
with the recent developments

SBowie
08-05-2003, 08:55 AM
Oh, I don't think we'll see all of Aura's functionality become redundant anytime soon. Quite the contrary, let's hope that in due course, AuraVT is upgraded as well. It would certainly like to see the 'soon-to-be-public' improvements from its developers become part of the VT toolset!

eon5
08-13-2003, 08:37 AM
You need quicktime PRO to perform exports

Just go to AURA

Import sequence .mov > WithouT PRELOAD > save sequence like *.RTV

Open RTV in AURA > save sequence like QUicktime.
... an easy way and works fine...

but... to have import/export option IN TEdit IS A MUST!

PLEASE ADD IT IN THE NEXT RELEASE! thnkS :D

SBowie
08-13-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by eon5
You need quicktime PRO to perform exports
No, actually you don't - the freebie version works just fine.

Danner
08-13-2003, 11:26 PM
If you just want quicktime support to send clips to a mac..
I have had no trouble at all giving the FinalCut and ProTool guys a DV avi, loads right up and looks great.