PDA

View Full Version : Charicter Edge Shading?

Vulcan
01-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Ok I have created a charicter, I do not want him cartoon shaded, but I want a colored outline around him that will be affected by the lighting. I have managed to create a very good effect that I like a lot useing a color gradient + incidence angle, unfortunatly at some angles large protions of his body get coverd with my outline which is horrible looking.

http://65.5.241.171/~server/ammo_dump6.jpg

I have also tried smooth shifting a copy of the geometry, flipping the normals and then applying a shader. Unfortuantly this causes too many weird graphical artifacts around him. Also the edges option in the objects properties does not give the kind of result I want either (maybe I'm just not useing it right?).

I have tried several cartoon shaders, with no success, they all apply the cartoon shadeing which I do not want, and most just give you a black outline, I want to be able to specify the color.

Anyone have any ideas how I might accomplish something simular to the image above?

Thanks!

Dodgy
01-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Have you tried unreal extreme? It has an edge shader which can be applied separately to the cartoon shader and can give you all kinds of effects..

Vulcan
01-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Yes I have tried it however I cant get it to work (show any result what so ever), nor can I find any documentation as to how it functions.

Dodgy
01-23-2005, 05:23 PM
For the edge stuff you have to apply both the shader to the object, and the iimage filter to the scene. The filter has a preview so you can check your result as you modify it...