PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom

otacon
01-23-2005, 12:58 PM
This is a scene i did over the weekend to practice some lighting. I used interpolated radiosity, low antialiasing, 15min render. It looks kinda sharp because i added an edge enhance in psp, it might of been a little too much but i like the crispness of it. Comments welcome. :)

cgbloke2004
01-23-2005, 01:12 PM
very very nice.
has a certain - warmth or mood to it.
what was the lighting rig like?
very nicely done.

otacon
01-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I warmed up the colors some in post to give it a warm feel. The lighting consists of one spotlight as the sun, a bluish area light right outside the window with inverse distance falloff, an area light to the left of the bed with a tan color, no shadows, and a point light by the bed table with linear falloff. Radiosity settings are:

RPE: 6x18
bounces: 1
tolerance: .6
MES: 4"
Plus shading noise reduction turned on.

cgbloke2004
01-23-2005, 01:29 PM
great!
i have only one minor thing - the pillows on all the furniture are too perfect! :D

but you struck the mood very well - nice shot too

ingo
01-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry, i felt asleep while looking at the rendering. Has a nice warm athmosphere, but the shadows are weird. Especially the ones next to the bed, i guess on the right side its form the lamp ? And a very flat shadow from the plant :D

starbase1
01-23-2005, 02:21 PM
As usual, stunning work!

Not sure why, but the pillows really attract my eye a bit too much though...

Nick

cgbloke2004
01-23-2005, 02:24 PM
perfectly fluffed [or stuffed?] pillows! :D

ajanderson
01-23-2005, 09:49 PM
That is absoultely incredible, you want me to psot you a picture of mine? I just started using this program about 4 months ago and only an hour aday. my 30 second cartoon consists of two "fatter" stick men, and a chubby bunny with hair from saslite. I also have a 20 polygon car and semi truck and around 3 trees cloned each 50 times to simulate a forest. lol . Just learing but im trying to get my sig to work too

prospector
01-24-2005, 12:22 AM
If your going to post pics of interiors, I wish, I wish, I WISH, you'd clean first and get rid of the dust bunnies....
In the corner behind the lamp is one.

prospector
01-24-2005, 12:24 AM
OOPs I was looking at a space fighter on another thread and saw the SAME dust bunny, then I discovered it was some pizza sauce on my screen.

Forget above post

Nice Pic :D :D :D

And put that cat on a diet!! ;)

SERHELL
01-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Excelent work man!

gaushell
01-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Nice job.

Two minor comments - both are personal pref

1. the sharp filter isn't bad within the room, but the brick through the glass is a bit odd. could isolate that area out

2. color of wood on bed and color of bedspread are too close - need more contrast

3. a third one too - white pillows are too puffy.

See ya!

johnbeam
01-26-2005, 12:27 PM
What is the sharp filter and how is it used?

3DBob
01-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Nice work - but I have to say, with my lightwave hours, I'd want some curtains in there to stop the morning/Afternoon light breaking up my sleep!

3DBob

otacon
01-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks. Your right about the bedspread, i rushed that part...couldnt find a good texture map to put on it. :)

johnbeam: The sharpness is added in paint shop pro. You copy your image, paste as a new layer, add edge enhance under the effects tab, and then adjust the opacity of the layer until its sharp enough for you. I did this because i added a soft focus before, and it made things a little too soft.

jeyem
02-16-2005, 07:23 PM
very very nice work you've done there, everything's perfect but i would say maybe the pillows are too clean without creases and the shadow of the plants on the pot is missing. Aside from those everything is great.

Matt
02-17-2005, 01:48 PM
absolutely awesome octacon! you really have mastered interior scenes, excellent work!

:D

veljko
02-18-2005, 02:08 AM
clap clap!
you should write a tutorial on making interiors and arhitecture or even do a DVD training course- i would buy it!:)

Matt
02-18-2005, 11:08 AM
clap clap!
you should write a tutorial on making interiors and arhitecture or even do a DVD training course- i would buy it!:)

I agree! There's a gap in the market for interior tutorials.

otacon
02-18-2005, 08:17 PM
True, i dont really know of any tuts for interiors in lightwave. I did a little overview of my diner scene. Its in the tutorials section at 3dtotal.com, lightwave specific. I would make some more, they just take a lot of time.

Matt
02-19-2005, 06:40 AM
I can see it now! :D

kurv
02-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Matt, thanks!!!

I think it's a great idea if you do Jason... please contact me at [email protected]

:D

otacon
02-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Ha! Nice one. You guys need to tell me what you want to know. I dont know if i could do a tutorial that had enough mass to it...its like i dont know what all to put into it.

kurv
02-21-2005, 08:38 AM
It depends on how much uniques information is needed to do this...what makes this different than just a generic lighting setup, ect...

j0SH
02-22-2005, 05:59 AM
haha nice book cover..
really like your work man. nice looking scene too. nice bright and colourful
good job

Fritz Arn
02-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi otacon

Your interior scenes are always fantastic. I am a beginner and I'm trying to render as well with interpolated radiosity but it gives me very blotchy textures on the white walls the floor is OK. I tried different settings as you explained in your posts, but it's always the same.
My question what are your settings for the material, is there a trick?
What about ambient intensity what are your settings.
It would be very nice if you could give me some more information, please!!
I tried know more than a week for good results but nothing.

Best regards.

Fritz

Captain Obvious
02-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Interpolated radiosity can give really good results in a fraction of the time monte carlo can, but it is a pain to get the settings right... But here are some basics:

Motion blur. Always use motion blur. The more anti-aliasing passes, the better your motion blur gets, and that also improves the global illumination. You cannot use cached radiosity with motion blur, since it then doesn't re-evaluate the radiosity for each pass. Of course, each and every pass will increase the render time. Twice the number of passes will result in twice the render time, so you have to find a good balance between the radiosity settings and the number of motion blur passes. I don't know if using dithered radiosity will result in a better radiosity effect, but you can always try it.

A high (0.6-1.0) tolerance setting will reduce the render time by a lot, depending on the scene. Sometimes without much degradation in quality. Low tolerance can sometimes produce a smoother and better result than zero tolerance. Again, you must experiment a little to find a good setting. Do low-resolution renders, selected object renders, renders without motion blur or limited region renders to reduce render times while finding proper settings. On big flat surfaces, a high tolerance setting will not degrade the quality a whole lot, but in corners or other higher-contrast areas, the tolerance can produce more noticable blotches. A high tolerance setting will also mean that caustic effects become washed out (for example, light bouncing through a wall and getting refracted through a glass). I have not found a good solution for that.

The more bounces there are, the "fuller" the lighting will be. How many bounces are needed depends heavily on the scene, but one is generally not enough. Again, experimenting is needed, unfortunately.

Turning up the minimum evaluation distance can decrease your render times. Sometimes without you even noticing a difference at all, sometimes it can screw up the image completely.

More rays per evaluation will produce better results at higher render times. Finding a balance between rays per evaluation, tolerance and your tolerance for render times is what makes using interpolated radiosity hard.

NewTek (or somebody else who's more experienced than I) should write a good tutorial for radiosity in LightWave's native renderer.

otacon
02-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Those were all good tips by Captain Obvious. Another thing i will add is to not rely wholey on the radiosity. Setting up some decent lighting first will really help. Find your main light sources and think about how the light is bouncing around the room. Use point lights with no shadows to fill the room with some good ambience. The radiosity will provide the color bleeding and additional fill.

Captain Obvious
02-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah, that's also a good tip. Get good lighting first! Think about how the lights should be placed very carefully, try to predict how the global illumination will effect the image before you start to experiment with it. It will save you a lot of hazzle.

Fritz Arn
02-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Captain Obvious, otacon

Thank you very much for the tips, I will try.

Best regards.

Fritz

gerardstrada
03-05-2005, 01:43 AM
Excellent work! as always
what is your machine spec? incredible render time! :)

Gerardo

otacon
03-05-2005, 10:12 AM
athlon 64 3000 2.01GHz, 1Gb ram.

gerardstrada
03-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Awesome! really fast.

Gerardo

Captain Obvious
03-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Interpolated radiosity can be really darned fast. :p