PDA

View Full Version : Possible cheap PPC Renderfarm mac clones?

Ade
04-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Shipping soon (http://www.2khappyware.com/order/)

What do u guys think?
if this takes off Ill buy one to compliment my DP1.25 powerhouse.
Ill put it in a small case with great ventilation, decorate the case with newtek propaganda and make it my PPC LW Node.

aloysius1001
04-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Why would you want a PPC render farm? Everything I've read points to PC's rendering faster than Macs. Not to mention the fact that they are a hell of a lot cheaper. I love my Mac, but if I were looking to build a farm, Mac and Mac clones would be at the bottom of my list. As long as the only time I would have to deal w/the PC was to launch LWSN I could live w/that. I do as much as I can to avoid Windows. I actually just broke down and bought a windows laptop, love the computer, hate the OS(XP). This has to be the worst OS ever, it's like giving your computer a labotomy. Mabey OSX has spoiled me into believing that an OS should be helpful and easy to use.

Ade
04-15-2003, 09:37 PM
There are alot of advatnges going PPC render farm, like quietness...

Also I think i read once mixing macs and pcs in farms isnt good cause of colour variations u will get from the different platforms interpreting endians differently.

Hiraghm
04-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Software Hut is selling PPC Amiga Ones with Linux PPC.

Software Hut Amiga One (http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=catalog/hardware/amiga/amigaone.html&cart_id=8904164_11864)

Ade
04-20-2003, 12:52 AM
ppc needed (http://www.rendercube.com/specifications.htm)

Wish happycomputers would make a ppc rendercube!

cremegg
04-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Assuming Apple don't go after them with there blood thirsty lawyers they look pretty smart Ade :).

And FYI PCs are not faster for rendering they are just more cost effective (for low level consumers) for building render farms but this link from Ade could change all that.

Thnx Ade.

Beamtracer
04-22-2003, 09:39 PM
Also, when considering the difference in cost between Macs and Windows boxes, remember that Apple's hardware subsidizes the cost of the OS.

It costs Apple more to create OSX than they get back in OS revenue. Therefore, part of the cost of the hardware is the cost of the OS.

Microsoft sells WindowsXP "professional" for much more than the standard WinXP, and much more than Mac OSX.

As for these new PPC clones, I think we'll see Apple's lawyers come out and shut them down. I'm not sure how this company could make a clone without all the information about Apple's motherboards.

cremegg
04-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Microsoft sells WindowsXP "professional" for much more than the standard WinXP, and much more than Mac OSX.

What about OS X Server, surely that is classed and sold as the 'Pro' version of OS X and that doesn't contain much more development than the client just some of the server class tools are given a GUI wrapper and presented more up front. So I'd think alot of development costs are covered through Server.

Considering systems from Boxx and AlienWare can cost as much as there Mac counterparts I wouldn't have thought to much of OS X is subsidized through the hardware.

Chazz
04-23-2003, 03:11 PM
OSX Server isn't a pro version of OSX, it's just akin to Windows Server Edition...it adds tools that let you manage users and workgroups and easily set up web services. OSX 'Client' is as pro as it gets.

Beam's probably right, Apple needs profits from hardware sales to fund OS development. Hopefully with all the software they're publishing these days, hardware prices will drop some.

turbo
04-23-2003, 05:16 PM
*remembers friends with the old clones.. never, nope, no way, nada. .. not for this apple devotee. ..the real thing or nuttin'. :p

Ade
04-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Was the same for me, but not second time around... Apple has shown when they control it all we just fall behind too much and the prices remain the same.

Clone is the only way to go if u want to remain competitive!