PDA

View Full Version : Using the new LW 8.2 Render Options

byte_fx
01-22-2005, 05:36 PM
I've noticed a few users wondering - more or less - about settimg up the new render options to best advantage.

As a suggestion -

Maybe Newtek can share some of the data they must have acquired during that portion of 8.2's development by setting up an area to act as a guideline.

Use a variety of scene types from both the Classic and new content that currently ships with Lighwave. Have the images compare the 'stock' pre 8.2 render result with the new renderer set for a balance of speed and quality and also set for higher quality at the cost of some speed and list the settings used for each.

Assign the base 'old' render speed the value of '1' (to eliminate the differences in cpus, cpu speed and system setup) so that a setup that rendered 25% faster than the old way would have a value of .75 reflecting it took 75% as long to render. Or, conversely, maybe tweaking the stock settings might increase the render time slightly but result in a worthwhile increase in image quality.

If a fairly wide range of scenes were used it would give a starting point for users setting up their own scenes of a similar nature. That would be a big time saver for everyone.

Just a thought.

byte_fx

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 05:52 PM
byte_fx,

This sounds like a reasonable request to me. There are some internal events that would preclude us from looking into it this coming week, but after that, I will see what I can to do set something like this up.

If anyone has already done some testing in this area on their own and would like to contribute their findings to the effort, please private message me.

wacom
01-22-2005, 06:26 PM
For starters I've noticed that adaptive sampling scales diffrently with the newer methods than with the older methods. It also seems to "see" more things to anti alias in this setting- such as grainy shadows etc.

byte_fx
01-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks Kurtis - anything Newtek can come up with will be appreciated. Also - I suspect the results may convince a few of the fence sitters that 8.0 with the 8.2 update makes the upgrade from an earlier version worth it.

btw - in the example I mentioned I should have used 0.75 instead of .75 - the dot is too easily missed.

wacom - think I noticed the same. Thanks for mentioning it.

byte_fx -

jevinstudios
01-22-2005, 11:48 PM
So far, I have seen a significant improvement in LW's ability to render extremely complex scenes better w/ 8.2 than 8.0. I'm testing some renders on a complex urban environment (about 2+ million polys & over 1,750 textures, using about 1.25 gigs of RAM to support the scene when opened in Layout). This scene could not render at resolutions of 2880 x 1920 w/ version 8, but seems to handle this resolution nicely with 8.2.

So far, all of my high-res renders have been successful, leaving me very happy and quite optimistic about this build! I think NT has really taken major steps in the right direction with these rendering improvements.

theo
01-23-2005, 07:13 AM
So far, I have seen a significant improvement in LW's ability to render extremely complex scenes better w/ 8.2 than 8.0. I'm testing some renders on a complex urban environment (about 2+ million polys & over 1,750 textures, using about 1.25 gigs of RAM to support the scene when opened in Layout). This scene could not render at resolutions of 2880 x 1920 w/ version 8, but seems to handle this resolution nicely with 8.2.

So far, all of my high-res renders have been successful, leaving me very happy and quite optimistic about this build! I think NT has really taken major steps in the right direction with these rendering improvements.

Absolutely- the new rendering system for high-res is fantastic. I was blown away once I got past the initial, "Huh?"

The ability to select AA passes combined with a specific reconstruction pass becomes a very noticeable positive when rendering higher resolutions. I love it and plan on developing my own set of tried-and-true rendering combinations over the next several months.

jevinstudios
01-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Absolutely- the new rendering system for high-res is fantastic. I was blown away once I got past the initial, "Huh?"

The ability to select AA passes combined with a specific reconstruction pass becomes a very noticeable positive when rendering higher resolutions. I love it and plan on developing my own set of tried-and-true rendering combinations over the next several months.

Right on!!! Will be doing the same myself. I love the flexibility LW now offers for combining just the right settings to meet the specific rendering needs of each scene. This is quite kewl!

theo
01-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Right on!!! Will be doing the same myself. I love the flexibility LW now offers for combining just the right settings to meet the specific rendering needs of each scene. This is quite kewl!

One of the things I did notice when using just one workstation is that on high-res scenes in the ranges of 5000 dpi and up you can easily eat up your ram with just one test- so just reboot the workstation to clear the memory for further testing or I guess you could invest in good RAM flushing software, I am more partial to just rebooting.

Thing is, with the new rendering options you have literally so many choices it actually ends up creating tremendous flexibility. I was running some high-res renders yesterday and was just ecstatic with the quality of some of the renders. The neat thing is that I was able to record remarkable differences in the different rendering combinations when enlarged even further in PS.

I have several 8' x 10' fine art murals that I have designed soley within LW that this new rendering format is literally being a life saver on.

byte_fx
01-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info folks - but the topic is about asking Newtek to provide some information about starting points for the new settings for some typical scene types - GI, Hypervoxels, etc.

No matter how fast one's system is having information about a starting point that is reasonably close would speed up the test render process - especially for those doing large print or realistic HDTV scenes that have very dynamic lighting and/or action. These often require test rendering 50 or more sample frames to see how the renders look throughout the sequence.

Don't be upset - I'm just trying to keep it on topic.

Thanks.

byte_fx

theo
01-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info folks - but the topic is about asking Newtek to provide some information about starting points for the new settings for some typical scene types - GI, Hypervoxels, etc.

Don't be upset - I'm just trying to keep it on topic.

Thanks.

byte_fx

I understand- this is a good idea too. It's just hard not to get off track on such an exciting development.

byte_fx
01-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Triple ditto on being excited.

byte_fx

wacom
01-25-2005, 06:39 PM
I can now use smaller rays per an evaluation in conjunction with motion blur and get fairly good monte Carlo renders at NTSC resolution.

Kurtis
02-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that Marvin and I have not forgotten about this.

As is want to happen, some things have come up that had to be given priority, but they should be resolved over the next week, and we can get to work on this again.

Thanx for your patience.