PDA

View Full Version : Textures heaven, does it exist?

etyrihje
01-22-2005, 05:16 PM
I am a newbie in LW (after fiddeling around for a couple of years) but I am slowly getting somewhere...

I am starting to explore the Texture Editor and UV mapping features and here comes my question.
Is there somewhere on the web where I can go and look up gold, silver, glass (or any other standard surface) - and find all the values I need for good results in Texture editor (setting color, luminosity, diffuse and so on)? or do each LW user have to reinvent these for themselves...

(I know some of the values are in Dan Ablans inside LW8)

But I REALLY wanna go to Textures heaven direct!

Thank you for any help, itīs very much appreciated!

trygve
01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
In my experience, there is no texturing heaven, only texturing hell.

3D World Magazine have a very good tutorial explaining some essential basics of glass-textures in LightWave. Transparent surfaces needs some spesial love and care in LightWave - you need to add air polygons in modelling to make sure the refraction is correct when light passes trough the glass.

PDF-file with tutorial (http://www.3dworldmag.com/stoppress/realisticglass_tutorial.pdf)

Lykke til!

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 05:39 PM
etyrihje,

I don't know of anything on the web that will give you exact settings like that, but you might want to look at these tutorials:
Leigh van der Byl (http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/tutorials.htm)

Hoopti
01-22-2005, 09:35 PM
etyrihje,

I don't know of anything on the web that will give you exact settings like that, but you might want to look at these tutorials:
Leigh van der Byl (http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/tutorials.htm)

She is the queen of texturing. You should consider getting her book as well. It's outstanding in covering the texture editor in massive yet easily understood detail.

Hoop

Tiger
01-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Just got mine 2 days ago :)
A "must have" if you really want to enter Texture Heaven!

SplineGod
01-22-2005, 11:33 PM
The problem is that theres an endless variety of glass, gold, metals etc.
It really helps to understand what makes a particular surface appear like it does.
Lighting plays a big part as well as more subtle things like the frensal effect on surfaces. The answer is that theres no simple answer. Its a lot of work, experimentation and observation. :)

-NG-
01-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Texturing is a very delicate(and some times long)process, but i'ts a hell of alot fun!:D especially when you get the look that you had in mind.

etyrihje
01-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Thank you for all the tips,

Tusen takk for tipset Trygve! Nice tutorial.

I have ordered the texturing book by Leigh Van Der Byl, I hope itīs easier to understand than the completely hopeless manual they ship woth LW.

I really think someone should make a look-up table with rgb values, luminosity, diffuse, specualrity, glossiness, reflection, transp., refr. index and translucency for the 100 most common surfaces (gold, brass, silver, iron), maybe I will make one some day...

Again thanks!

ingo
01-25-2005, 12:25 PM
........I really think someone should make a look-up table with rgb values, luminosity, diffuse, specualrity, glossiness, reflection, transp., refr. index and translucency for the 100 most common surfaces (gold, brass, silver, iron), maybe I will make one some day...

Lightwave comes with this "100 most common surfaces" as presets, although basic they are a good stating point. But as usual it depends on your lighting and your scene how these materials look.