PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better way to animate text?

crisp
01-22-2005, 02:36 PM
I am trying to animate a lot of text around objects in my scene. I am attaching individual letters to a path and using start/stop times to space them on the path.

Unfortunately, when I move around in the timeline a few frames the interval between the letters drastically fluxtuates causing letters to overlap or fall behind other letters. The shifts are quite severe, even when taking into account possible squashing and stretching from characters moving around tight turns.

Rather than using the start/stop times to animate the letters, is there a way to bind or attach one letter to the next so that the interval between the letters stays relatively the same and so that they stay bound to the paths I have already made? Or is there a better solution?

It would be nice if I only had to worry about animating the first letter of a sentence and have the rest of the letters just follow along the same path without having to be indivdually timed. Is that even possible?

I am pretty new to Lightwave so, I may not be thinking about this correctly. Any advice or links you could share would be hugely useful. Thanks!

toby
01-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Animate a null and parent the first letter to it, clone the null enough times so you have one for all the other letters, then offset the animation for each null by 4 frames or so by dragging it's track in the scene editor. So the first null starts at 0, the second at frame 4, the third at 8 and so on! Peice-a-cake!

crisp
01-22-2005, 03:54 PM
I think I get it, I'll give it a try tonight to be sure. Thanks for the info!