PDA

View Full Version : Considering Lightwave for the Mac

hound312
01-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I have been seriously considering getting Lightwave for my Mac. I've used it briefly in the past at a contract job (version 5.5) on the pc and I really liked the modelling tools. I'm not a novice at 3D, having used 3D Studio Max at work, mostly on mechanical type animations. I want to get an animation program for my mac at home, so that I can start learning more about character animation, with the eventual goal of creating a short film. Lightwave seems to have the features and options I want, but many people on this forum seem dissatisfied with Lightwave, especially on the mac. So I want to know any user experiences on the mac. Is it stable and do the features work as advertised? (I've used 3DS Max, so I know these programs have their share of issues, but does it work overall in a production situation on the mac?) Secondly, is it suitable and can it hold up in a real world situation for creating character animation? Lastly, do you like working with Lightwave on the mac? Also, guys the mac is my platform of choice, so please refrain from telling me to buy a pc because Lightwave is faster on the pc or something like that. (I've had similar responses on other software forums. I'm not bashing pc's or anything, but I like the mac platform, so buying a pc is simply unrealistic.)

Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

David

policarpo
01-22-2005, 03:10 PM
What kind of Mac do you have?

JackDeL
01-22-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm still using 7.5 on OS X and have had a (mostly) trouble free experience. There have been a few issues, but only the Modeler bug under 10.2.5/6 (fixed by ATI) was a serious deal breaker. (so far) :rolleyes:

hound312
01-22-2005, 11:10 PM
I actually just upgraded to a Powermac g5 2.5 with the ATI Radeon 9600XT and 2gigs of ram.

hound312
01-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that I am using OSX 10.3.7.

Whit
01-23-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm using LightWave on a Mac and I like it. I have it on a faster Windows machine in the same room, but still use the Mac most of the time. It is my impression that LightWave runs about the same on the Mac and on Windows. 3D software is complicated and some people have had trouble on the Mac and others on Windows.

One area where Windows is ahead of Mac is plug-ins. There are lots of LightWave plug-ins available (free, shareware, commercial). I think it is fair to say that there are more plug-ins available for Windows than for Mac.

--Whit

meanlebh
01-23-2005, 11:27 AM
With that setup you certainly shouldn't have any trouble speed-wise, I am running a dual 2.0 with 1.5 gigs of ram, and the speed of lightwave is as fast or faster than any pc that I have access to with LW on it. There are a few bugs with LW on the Mac, but a lot of them have been cleared up recently, and for the most part LW is very stable on the Mac. If you wanted you can download the Discovery Edition of LW and try it out on your Mac before you commit to it...It obviously won't give you access to everything right away, but it would be a good starting place.

donski
01-23-2005, 02:58 PM
David,

I'm pretty much in the same place as you only two years later. I'm using Lightwave at home to create a short character-driven film. Having worked with SoftImage and Wavefront as my intro to 3D I can say I'm pretty happy with all the tools I have at home with Lightwave 8.0.

Do I use every modeling tool? No. Even after two years, while I try to learn more, I still end up doing only what I need for my project.

Does everything work? Yes, and often if something didn't work I was pretty sure that it was user error. IK Boost was not working so well on the mac and I haven't downloaded LW8.2 to see if that is fixed yet. Could be really good but I have not pressed through to get it to work but have just been animating my character with the LW IK tools. It's the best I've ever had but I never worked with Maya.

I recommend LW for the mac.

don

hound312
01-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Thank you for the responses guys, that helps clear up some of my doubts! :)