PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a little trouble with my surfaces

Kanephan
01-22-2005, 01:20 PM
I made a surface for the body I'm making, but then later decided to delete 4 polygons and remake them a different way. The problem is that the 4 new ones ended up as a different Surface in the surface editor. I've been trying to find this out on my own, but to no avail, so I thought I'd ask here:

1) How do you delete a surface? I have a surface that has 0 polygons that I no longer need, but can't for the life of me find a way to delete it.

2) Is there anyway to merge 2 surfaces together. Like in the above example with the chin. Merge the chin polygons to the body surface.

3) If I make new polygons, how can I tell lightwave to continue adding to the same surface? I tried selecting Body in the surface editor and then making new polygongs, but they still ended up in the Default surface.

I just think it's stupid to have 3000 polygons on one surface, and 4 on another when they surfaces are identical.

Thanks for the help. As you can probably tell, I'm not very experienced.

Hoopti
01-22-2005, 02:06 PM
1) How do you delete a surface? I have a surface that has 0 polygons that I no longer need, but can't for the life of me find a way to delete it.

When you save your file the program will handle it by itself. Any surface with 0 polys which is not the default surface, will disappear when it's saved and reopened.

2) Is there anyway to merge 2 surfaces together. Like in the above example with the chin. Merge the chin polygons to the body surface.

Select the surface you want to rename, hit the q key to name it, and the use the dropdown list to select the surface you want to combine it with.

3) If I make new polygons, how can I tell lightwave to continue adding to the same surface? I tried selecting Body in the surface editor and then making new polygongs, but they still ended up in the Default surface.

Make the name of the new surface you want the new default. Hit the q key and you'll see a checkbox to make the surface name the default. That will do it.

I just think it's stupid to have 3000 polygons on one surface, and 4 on another when they surfaces are identical.

Agreed, but its you doing it, not the program. Let me know if the above doesn't help.

Hoop

Thanks for the help. As you can probably tell, I'm not very experienced.[/QUOTE]

Kanephan
01-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Excellent, I can't thank you enough!

Hoopti
01-22-2005, 09:37 PM
No worries. Glad it helped. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Hoop