PDA

View Full Version : Music Video project

Axis3d
01-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Here are a couple of stills from a recent music video I just finished working on. There is one shot which has hundreds of bats flying around. I animated a bat motion, used MDscan to record it, then cloned and offset the motions to randomize them. This created a scene file which was very light and interactive to work with despite having hundreds of objects in it.

sidetrak
01-22-2005, 01:14 PM
i love the top picture, it looks awesome, on the second i could proabaly say the fog might be a little strong, but still very good

adrian
01-24-2005, 01:07 AM
I love both pictures! Great work....

Adrian.

riki
01-24-2005, 05:05 AM
Nice work, I like the feel.

Kuzey
01-24-2005, 06:20 AM
Very cool!!!!

Kuzey

billmi
01-24-2005, 09:57 AM
So which one of the guys under the bridge is Keifer Southerland?

vlucas
01-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Cool!

Can you describe the lightning setup of the top picture in detail?

itos
01-24-2005, 01:03 PM
great! really awesome, i like the felling of the first picture, did you used radiosity on it or HDRI lighting? also i am starting a proyect but dont know how much to ask for a second of animation,including character aniamtions and post effects, for example a commercial, if you help me with this i will aprrecciate it, thanks and keep up the great work!

Axis3d
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great comments. I really appreciate it.

billmi - I'm glad you picked up on the "Lost Boys" feel to it. The name of the song is called Lost Boys, by a group called 69 Eyes. The director wanted to pay homage to the original movie by having having the band members recreate a few scenes that were from the film.

vlucas, itos - The lightging setup is actually pretty simple for the top shot. When dealing with water, it is mostly about reflection. I had a shadow-casting key light which created the main illumination and rim lighting from the sun. I added an area light way off in the distance with specular only turned on to give me the correct specular hit on the water from the sun. An area light allowed me to control the size of the specular hit. Then I added a fill light for the rocks. Then rendered the shot with ray-traced reflections turned on.

The bats were rendered in a separate pass and had their own lighting. The camera then flies into the cave and follows the bats through a long and winding tunnel which leads to the band. The final shot was composited in After Effects.

itos - as far as what to charge for your work, that can vary quite a bit. I would definitely not charge "per second" of animation. I can create 10 seconds of animation very quickly, but it is not going to look like a ten second shot from Lord of the Rings. The amount of time it takes you to create your work is how you should charge. I like to figure out a flat daily rate. On top of that, figure in any hard costs, like if you have to pay to get your animation to a digital Betacam tape, etc. Try and find out what going rates are in your area. If not, then come up with something and propose it to your client and see if they balk at it or not. If they don't have that much money, then you can either scale back the amount of work they will get or you might decide to do it for that price because the project will look good on your reel and you will get more work out of it. Hope this helps.

itos
01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
thanks for all the info! really appreciate ir :)

vlucas
01-25-2005, 07:52 AM
thanx!!!!!

badgerboy
01-25-2005, 09:13 AM
First of all I'd like to say great work.

If the Director wanted to recreate a few of the scenes, why not do the one with the big greasy bodybuilder playing the saxophone playing at the first party thing. It made me laugh when I saw it for real, now if someone would parady that i'd probably p**s myself.

JAW
02-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Love the water in the top pic, the bottom pic reminds me of the scene in "THE LOST BOYS"

all aside nice work, ;)

Cesar Montero
02-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I like the first render a lot :)